What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mufflers within Showplanes or James cowl?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Can anyone comment on fitting mufflers within the tighter Showplanes or James cowl on an RV8?

I don't want to be a jerk with the loudest plane on the block, but I really like the sleeker cowls.

Also, taking the issue of mufflers off the table, what is the difference between the "crossover" pipes that are so common, and simply straight pipes X4?

Howdy, Clay.

No muffler on my RV-8, just a heat muff for cabin heat. My RV sounds a bit more throaty than GA planes, but doesn’t approach obnoxious at all.

The reasons for crossover exhaust is to balance the exhaust pulses into a balanced back pressure and improve how the engine breathes. Some sources claim better power or higher RPM with a fixed pitch prop.

Pic of the setup in my -8 with a Showplanes cowl.

I’m a 320 CA PHX, where are you based? Take care!

Attachments

• 60963365-9A1E-4A76-86A9-87BCBB1012C8.jpeg
    60963365-9A1E-4A76-86A9-87BCBB1012C8.jpeg
    820.9 KB · Views: 87
Thanks, Scotty! I assume CHD is Chandler? I trained and was based at Williams back in the day when it was nothing but cotton fields out there. 1980 - 1984. I'm retired from AA now. Finished up as a 737 CA in DFW.
I'm good with "throaty", just didn't want to end up being objectionable. I'm up in Utah, so a heater is required, but mufflers, not so much. Thanks for the info. I'm hoping for a first flight in the summer of '23. Returning to the east valley will be a high priority. See you then!

Back