What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B weather

Kupde

Patron
I’ve never been able to get Lightening, cloud tops, turbulence forecast on my G3X touch. I can get radar, METARS, Pilot Reports, Airmets,Sigmets. I have a GTX45R transponder. I’ve had Sirius XM and get everything and more but it’s expensive. Any thoughts on why?

Kevin

I’ve never been able to get Lightening, cloud tops, turbulence forecast on my G3X touch. I can get radar, METARS, Pilot Reports, Airmets,Sigmets. I have a GTX45R transponder. I’ve had Sirius XM and get everything and more but it’s expensive. Any thoughts on why?

Kevin

Even though the FAA may be transmitting the data stream, each EFIS vendor needs to update their software to display the recently added data.

Not entirely sure, but I think XM broadcasts more weather products than ADS-B. I do know that XM broadcasts high resolution weather for the entire country, not just local with distant weather in low resolution. XM is a better product, and not just in coverage.

I recall one trip with thunderstorms around the departure airport and I couldn’t see them because no ads-b signals on the ground.

Kevin -

Also check to make sure your GTX45R is updated to the latest software version. Garmin is great about announcing G3X software updates in the E-AB community, but finding out about transponder software upgrades - or getting the software installed - isn't as easy as it should be.

Dave

Last edited:
My G3X touch is up to date but not sure about updates for the GTX 45R. I thought that updates for all went through the Canbus when updating the G3 X touch. I’ll check.

Thanks for the suggestion

Kevin

Kevin

As others have alluded -- certain WX products (Lightning, Cloud Tops, etc.) are available with more recent firmware updates *AND* may not be available via RS-232 (Connext), will require Bluetooth connection from FIS-B receiver (GTX x45) to G3X Touch. (see - https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=8901)

GTX devices do not support CAN bus. Only update mechanism is via USB port on GTX device and using the GTX update app which is only available to Garmin Dealers.

Just talked to Garmin, and got an answer to a related question...

My system is a GDL52 ADS-B in unit connected via serial port to each of two G3X Touch screens. (I do not have an XM subscription). The serial port connection provides all received weather, and Bluetooth would provide no additional functionality.

Draw your own conclusions as to the original question...

Kevin -

Does you transponder have a Bluetooth connection to the G3X Touch? Before Garmin updated their software interfaces, you had to set up a Bluetooth connection between the Touch and transponder to get the new weather products via (I think) Connext.

If you don't already have that connection established, give it a try and see if you get what you're looking for.

Dave

I have an Ipad installed on my panel with sim card. Almost everywhere I fly I have cell signal. I also have Windy installed on my Ipad for weather. Very happy with that!

I recall one trip with thunderstorms around the departure airport and I couldn’t see them because no ads-b signals on the ground.

Reminder that, regardless of whether you’re using xm or adsb, the thunderstorm product is not real time; it is older than the time shown (which is the uplink time); and is generally NOT suitable for close-in avoidance.

Reminder that, regardless of whether you’re using xm or adsb, the thunderstorm product is not real time; it is older than the time shown (which is the uplink time); and is generally NOT suitable for close-in avoidance.

I had an interesting comment from a Jacksonville Center controller this weekend that his weather radar has an 8 minute delay...

I had an interesting comment from a Jacksonville Center controller this weekend that his weather radar has an 8 minute delay...

8 minutes and it's ARSR derived. It works alright, but it can struggle in curtains conditions. Currently the FAA is vetting a system of displaying nexrad WX on scopes. Should be a huge advancement in safety and efficiency.

Thanks! All true, and I knew that, the question was, were than any lurking just beyond visual range? My strategy for thunderstorm avoidance is that ADS-B tells me where to look, and I then avoid them visually.

Back