What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a source for internally threaded rod

Gash

Well Known Member
Hi guys, I'm fabricating a 10-inch connecting rod with turnbuckle forks on both ends. I want to use 1/4 28 internally threaded turnbuckle style rod (R threaded on one end, L threaded on the other end). Stainless or carbon steel.

All of the "go to" vendors are unable right now. McMaster-Carr is out of stock for 4 weeks, Wicks doesn't have any, Aircraft Spruce doesn't have any.

Can somebody please point me towards another vendor that might have this? Google is no help...just a bunch of automotive stuff that's not applicable. Thanks very much.

Last edited:
DIY

If you can get access to a small lathe for hole centering you could easily make your own. There’s many ways to do it but a lathe makes it easy. Not sure how much force your will be exerting on it but you have the option of using steel, aluminum or just about any material you would like. I have made many in the past and it’s a pretty quick process.

No lathe access. Looking for a vendor, thanks. (Maybe I need to be looking for a lathe vendor lol)

I made basically what you're looking for. In my case it was a throttle interconnect between the front and rear seat throttle levers.

Bought the aluminum tube from Aircraft Spruce. Made sure the the ID was slightly too small, and the OD provided lots of room. Drilled the ends of the tube to what was needed to tap 1/4-28.

Can't see why one couldn't do the same with steel. Granted, it would take more patience to drill and tap steel. Certainly not the hardest part to fabricate on an RV. Will be done in less than 4 weeks too.

Wow, finding something that McMaster is out of stock on takes some effort, congratulations. I suppose a rod with left and right hand internal threads is not common.

Wow, finding something that McMaster is out of stock on takes some effort, congratulations. I suppose a rod with left and right hand internal threads is not common.

I was thinking the same thing Alex. Do I win the internet for today?

Tie rod

Yet another option…. I used Carbon Fiber Arrow Shafts . Epoxy the Heim Joint into the ends . I’ll add roll pins thru the assembly as a secondary attachment.

Attachments

• 6CDE02B3-1051-4206-A0C1-B268DAD81D2D.jpeg
    6CDE02B3-1051-4206-A0C1-B268DAD81D2D.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 270
Hi guys, I'm fabricating a 10-inch connecting rod with turnbuckle forks on both ends. I want to use 1/4 28 internally threaded turnbuckle style rod (R threaded on one end, L threaded on the other end). Stainless or carbon steel.

All of the "go to" vendors are unable right now. McMaster-Carr is out of stock for 4 weeks, Wicks doesn't have any, Aircraft Spruce doesn't have any.

Can somebody please point me towards another vendor that might have this? Google is no help...just a bunch of automotive stuff that's not applicable. Thanks very much.

I could make one, but would have to order a tap (I don't have any left-hand stuff). I made my flap pushrods out of 4130. Sounds like the same you want, but longer with 1 side left-hand. Shoot me a PM or e-mail if you want to work something out.

Last edited:
I could make one, but would have to order a tap (I don't have any left-hand stuff). I made my flap pushrods out of 4130. Sounds like the same you want, but longer with 1 side left-hand. Shoot me a PM or e-mail if you want to work something out.

Hi Colin, that sure is nice of you to offer to help. I really appreciate it. I went to Pegasus as recommended by another post here and found what I needed.

Could you make the connecting rod using these threaded tube inserts from Pegasus Auto Racing supplies. They come in 1/4-28, left and right hand thread. Add a piece of chromoly tube the desired length.

View attachment 19200

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3053

Dave this is perfect. Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction. I didn't even know they made L hand threaded tube inserts...I learn something every day. This will be just what I need to make an adjustable turnbuckle tube, and I won't need to wait a month for a $38 part from McMaster-Carr ;)

Shout out for Pegasus

Could you make the connecting rod using these threaded tube inserts from Pegasus Auto Racing supplies. They come in 1/4-28, left and right hand thread. Add a piece of chromoly tube the desired length.

View attachment 19200

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3053

I needed a Facet pump, (formerly Bendix, the soda can, not the cube) and found them as one of the few dealers and having reasonable prices. I am a couple of hundred miles away from their Wisconsin store. I selected Spee-Dee delivery and got door-to-door receipt of the pump in less than 24 hrs. It was not an accident several orders have duplicated this amazing feat. And for only $6.00 too. Phone calls find helpful and knowledgable people who obviously are "builders".

Hi Colin, that sure is nice of you to offer to help. I really appreciate it. I went to Pegasus as recommended by another post here and found what I needed.

Awesome! If I recall, the guy that own Pegasus is an RVer as well.

Back