What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tow bars for RV4

N605RV

where do I get a control stick boot for the rear seat of my RV4 (it's open and dangerous)

Last edited:
Bogert Towbar

I have a Bogert towbar I use on my RV-4. Just checked and it is $156. It has a handle which manually spreads the bar and then clamps the tailwheel. The t-handle is easily removable allowing a longer end to be installed with will accept a tow hitch pin. I just bought the end and cut a piece of tubing to the length I wanted and bolted it together. My old hangar was uphill going in and I used a winch to pull it in tail first. Worked great. I've also towed it around using this and a 4 wheeler, but am careful to always keep it slow and mindful when pushing with it.

https://bogertaviation.com/collecti...sories/products/bogi-bars-tail-wheel-aircraft

TOW BARS

Extended the axle bolt and made a tow bar from scrap 4130. Uses the spring tension in the 4130 to keep it on the extended bolt. Good welding practice. Working well for 30 plus years.

can anyone recommend a good towbar design and source?

I had a Bogert tow bar for my -4 but quit using it. It always slipped off the tailwheel and, after a while, I found out it was much easier just to push the airplane around by the horizontal stabilizer. I do the same thing with my -8 but the four was easier as it's lighter.

a rope with 2 red hooks from Home Depot that hooks onto the vertical shaft on the tail wheel fork works perfect for dragging the plane around.

tow ba solved

Thanks everyone, I did as suggested and bought a simple 72 dollar taildragger tow bar out of Sportys, shortened the spring an inch or so and it works beautifully.

Back