What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Axle Cotter Pin Hole Location

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
Matco wheels/brakes installed and axle nut tightened down. These photos show how close the cotter pin hole would be to the end of the axle. Seems awful close to me. Any thoughts??

Attachments

• cotter-pin-hole.jpg
    cotter-pin-hole.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 235
  • axle-nut.jpg
    axle-nut.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 199
Axle

That looks fine. Only rotational force on cotter pin hole. Wall thickness of axle is 3/16 not counting threads.

I've been meaning to ask - is this method common across small aircraft? Just seems very hokey, particularly when things get a little loose - do you drill another hole? Or are there very thin shims available?

Thanks...
On another note....that axle must be hard...bits dulled fast :eek:

Axle is hard... use cobalt drill bit with cutting fluid at low RPM. Some people use a small Dremel stone to grind a depression in the threads to help the drill bit start on target.

I've been meaning to ask - is this method common across small aircraft? Just seems very hokey, particularly when things get a little loose - do you drill another hole? Or are there very thin shims available?

You have multiple holes in the nut, and chose one that’s on the looser side.

You have multiple holes in the nut, and chose one that’s on the looser side.

I just ordered some thin shims from mcmaster-carr - hopefully that will be a good solution - I want the wheels to rotate freely but not have any play.

I just ordered some thin shims from mcmaster-carr - hopefully that will be a good solution - I want the wheels to rotate freely but not have any play.

Actually these Matco wheels are set differently than traditional wheels. Tighten the axle nut until the seal stops spinning, then insert the cotter pin. If one backs the nut out to align the hole and the seal spins, the wheel is too loose.

Face The Nut - On A Lathe

If you feel the need to get very precise, you can "face" the nut on an engine lathe, or vertical mill if you prefer.

Since you know the TPI is 16 - you know that each revolution = .063" advancement. With six "flats" on the nut, you also know that the advancement of each one = .0105".

So, as an example, if you estimate you need about a half a flat advancement for a proper fit, you need to face off .0105/2" = .0052". Any machinest, home schooled or otherwise should be able to do this with out problem.

I do this on all my "fit ups" to insure I get the fit I want instead of what the suppliers give me. Also, if needed, the depth of the nut itself can be cut down quite a bit, if doing so helps with the wheel pant install.

If you like the idea of using shims to "adjust" the fit for future wear, I would suggest the following:

Extremely thin shims (a few "thou") have the tendency to ball up in a wad when they are installed or are too fragile to remain intact during their service life. So, undercut the axle nut to allow a thicker shim to be installed initially, to give the desired fit. Then as conditions warrant, change the shim size (but still thick enough) as needed. From the Aviation Division of McMaster-Carr, for 1 1/4" diameter axles, their shim thickness from .031" on down are less than or equal to .005" - should be close enough.

YMMV - and probably will.

HFS

Attachments

• Axle Nut - Cut Down.jpg
    Axle Nut - Cut Down.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 183
If you feel the need to get very precise, you can "face" the nut on an engine lathe, or vertical mill if you prefer.

Since you know the TPI is 16 - you know that each revolution = .063" advancement. With six "flats" on the nut, you also know that the advancement of each one = .0105".

So, as an example, if you estimate you need about a half a flat advancement for a proper fit, you need to face off .0105/2" = .0052". Any machinest, home schooled or otherwise should be able to do this with out problem.

I do this on all my "fit ups" to insure I get the fit I want instead of what the suppliers give me. Also, if needed, the depth of the nut itself can be cut down quite a bit, if doing so helps with the wheel pant install.

If you like the idea of using shims to "adjust" the fit for future wear, I would suggest the following:

Extremely thin shims (a few "thou") have the tendency to ball up in a wad when they are installed or are too fragile to remain intact during their service life. So, undercut the axle nut to allow a thicker shim to be installed initially, to give the desired fit. Then as conditions warrant, change the shim size (but still thick enough) as needed. From the Aviation Division of McMaster-Carr, for 1 1/4" diameter axles, their shim thickness from .031" on down are less than or equal to .005" - should be close enough.

YMMV - and probably will.

HFS
Good info. I can see adjustment as described by shaving a bit on nut face to get to fit tight, but loose, initially.
I Don’t know where the wear would come from as only relative motion should be in the bearing. I have over 1000 hours on my RV and axel nut fit up to bearing is as it was when I first drilled the whole 18 years ago.

FWIW - Using The Next Available Hole

The math for using the next available axle nut hole is as follows:

Each "flat" advancement moves the nut .0105" inboard. The absolute best hole diameter you could get using a #30 drill is .128" - the new nut that I have does in fact, mic @ .128".

Advancing the nut one flat changes the shape of the hole from circular to oblong - .128" transverse to the axle & .118 along the axle alignment. A standard 1/8" nominal diameter cotter pin for this purpose mics @ .109" x .120" - so, it will fit with a single advancement. Any more than that requires some "adjustment".

If the initial fit was good enough (no "slop"), you would pin it there. If an advancement is desired, it's going to be less than the .0105" noted above; and, therefore, the hole in the axle alignment direction will be greater than .118, making for an even more comfortable fit.

YMMV - but I bet not by much.

HFS

Last edited:
Also note that if you move the hole inboard, it is infinitely harder to get a cotter pin in there since the wheel flange prevents a straight shot.

My A&P instructor shared a tip on getting the cotter pins to bend around into position. Make a bend in the cotter pin with the longer leg on the outside of the bend. This way when you insert the pin, the longer leg keeps pressing up against the shorter leg and you can guide the pin in easier to the hole. Otherwise the cotter pin legs will spread apart and you'll never get it through the hole.

I treat my axle & nut alignment a bit differently. I want to have (or have available) finer adjustability of the bearing preload so instead of 60 degree, I drill the axle with a second hole to allow 30 degree increments. This comes notably relevant when it comes the day if I ever have to replace my bearings.
I also slot the cotter pin holes in the nuts to make them easier to install.

Sorry for the 'manual' graphics

Attachments

• axle nut.pdf
    408.7 KB · Views: 88
I treat my axle & nut alignment a bit differently. I want to have (or have available) finer adjustability of the bearing preload so instead of 60 degree, I drill the axle with a second hole to allow 30 degree increments. This comes notably relevant when it comes the day if I ever have to replace my bearings.
I also slot the cotter pin holes in the nuts to make them easier to install.

Sorry for the 'manual' graphics

Good idea. Make the slot longitudinally instead of axially (is that a word?) will allow you to slide the pin in a little easier for a tighter fit. Nothing wrong with drilling a second hole in another hole in the nut if your fit is too loose. You have two shots at this with our 6 sided nuts as long as the new holes you drill are not too close to another one previously drilled hole.

Last edited:
Back