What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bead breaking secrets needed

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
It turns out my idea of buying a cheap Harbor Freight bead breaker to flip the Dresser Monster retreads for another year of wear was a really stupid idea.

Half the wheel assembly came off lickity split, but the other half doesn't want to budge much, at least to the point where I can wrestle with it enough to get it off.

At this point, it feels like I'm going to wreck the tire and tube and I'm thinking I might as well just take a saw to the darned tire and order a new set. :mad:

It's currently soaking in dishwashing liquid, and I'm hoping something might get it freed up enough.

In the meantime, I'll entertain any secrets of bead breaking that might come in handy here.

I use a HF bead breaker as well and it works great. I use a long extension pipe over the handle for more leverage which makes a big difference. Also, don't separate the 2 halves of the wheel until you break the bead on both sides. I clamp the rear edge of the tool to a work table so it doesn't raise up when applying pressure on the handle. Good luck.

I finally got it off using a combination vice, C-clamps, and the HF tool. It feels like the tube took a tremendous beating in the process. I may just order new tubes for the sake of security.

In the meantime, I'll entertain any secrets of bead breaking that might come in handy here.

I deflate the tube, then place the tire/wheel flat on a piece of plywood near a hangar wall. The plywood keeps the wheel from getting scuffed up, and the hangar wall gives me something to brace against. Then, I stand on the tire taking care to keep my feet off of the wheel. I rock back and forth a few times and the bead pops loose. Then I flip the tire and do the other side.

I weigh about 160, so this isn't a heroic feat.

I deflate the tube, then place the tire/wheel flat on a piece of plywood near a hangar wall. The plywood keeps the wheel from getting scuffed up, and the hangar wall gives me something to brace against. Then, I stand on the tire taking care to keep my feet off of the wheel. I rock back and forth a few times and the bead pops loose. Then I flip the tire and do the other side.

Ditto. No tool needed. IIRC, I learned this trick from one of the EAA videos.

if gently hopping up and down on it does not break it loose, get someone with big screwdriver to GENTLY pry it a little while you stand on it. alwas works for me.

bob
N82RB
RV-4

Drill press

I set them in my drill press and just push down on the tire with the chuck, turn and repeat until it comes loose. Then flip and repeat. A shot of dish soap helps also.
Never failed me yet.
Tim Andres

That's how I do it too, I have had some stubborn ones though, for those I spray CRC silicon spray around the bead, climb back on and it pops right off.

I do the stand-on-it trick as well but first lay the wheel on it's side and pour a small amount of wing solvent around the rim and let it sit for a few minutes. Rarely any jumping required doing so. I don't remember who first mentioned this idea (Pete Howell maybe?) but it works great.

i have a left over tire iron from my dirt bike days. barely survive that. it is about a foot long with two different shaped tips. it will break the bead with practice and technique. a little wd-40 or the like will also help. can easily be packed for trips too. :)
iu

also have one of these but haven't needed it.
iu

I finally got it off using a combination vice, C-clamps, and the HF tool. It feels like the tube took a tremendous beating in the process. I may just order new tubes for the sake of security.

I always replace the tubes when I replace the tires. Maybe a bit conservative but just a practice I have always done.

I do the stand-on-it trick as well but first lay the wheel on it's side and pour a small amount of wing solvent around the rim and let it sit for a few minutes. Rarely any jumping required doing so. I don't remember who first mentioned this idea (Pete Howell maybe?) but it works great.

Okay, I'll bite. What's wing solvent and what's in it - re-branded 100LL? If I get this stuff on my wings by accident, do they melt?

-Stormy

Okay, I'll bite. What's wing solvent and what's in it - re-branded 100LL? If I get this stuff on my wings by accident, do they melt?

-Stormy

Wing Solvent is listed and recommended in Post #12. (AKA: AvGas)

Has not melted any RV wings that I know of. It has caused paint damage and I have seen one video were it was being poured into the wings, generated a static charge, and caught the wing on fire.

Like Kyle, I have used this technique ever since I can remember (Taylorcraft for 18 years). That is until I first tried my Desser Monster Retreads, like Bob, they wouldn't budge. Maybe more surface area, etc?

Anyway, here is my tip: Took it to the local FBO who used a very large bead breaker (and dishwasher liquid, of course) Took him a few minutes also. He said it was one of the tougher ones he's had. No charge by the way. I bought him a beer anyway.

Last edited:
The builder-guru two doors over taught me this little trick. When re-assembling the wheel to the tire, put a little bead of dishwashing liquid on the tire surface contact area that sits under the wheel (I just spread it on with my finger). When it comes time to disassemble the next time, after deflating, put a little water in the crease between the tire and the wheel. Let soak a bit, then proceed with your bead-breaking technique (I stand on mine and rock a bit too).

He swears by it, and it seems to work OK. Just one technique.

I change my tubes more often than Gary...does that make me more conservative than you Condor? :p

And "wing solvent"...Nyuck, Nyuck! The wings don't dissolve in the stuff do they? :p

Cheers,
Bob

Well,

you should already have Popeye forearms after building an RV. You're not cheating yourself out of a flexor workout by using a pneumatic cleco tool, are you?:rolleyes:

Just remember to use the thick wood block in the center for the second wheel half, so there's something to bear against. And be careful not to pinch the tube.

-Stormy

I always replace the tubes when I replace the tires. Maybe a bit conservative but just a practice I have always done.

Me too. But in this case, I'm not replacing the tires. I'm flipping them around for wear.

The good news is the pieces went all back together super easy. The bad news is my Facebook RV pal convinced me to replace the O-ring on the brake "puck" and I also decided to put new felt seals on the bearing assembly and so now I've got more parts laying around the hangar on this (*&@*(^P&*( condition inspection while I wait for parts to show up.

Rodeo Rope Trick

I leave the halves bolted together.
A length of 1/4" or 3/8" nylon rope and a pair of very well taped flat blade screw drivers. I stand on the tire sides and start the nylon rope and work it into the space between the rim and tire then work my way around. Quite quick and easy.

It's a good habit to break the beads before you split the wheel. If nothing else, it keeps you from "forgetting" to let the air out of the tire before you split the wheel. An AI friend of mine allowed an airplane owner to use his shop to change a tire. When he heard the explosion he knew exactly what had happened, and expected to find a headless corpse when he looked back. Fortunately, the only damage was a destroyed wheel and some dented upper story floor joists.:eek:

Way too complicated....

and another excuse to keep motorcycles in your hangar!

Once the wheel is off and tire deflated take your favorite bike, bigger the better, and put wheel adjacent to kickstand. Lift the bike off and move the wheel under and break the bead with the weight of the bike. Move around and flip as necessary. Works on all sorts of difficult tires.

Back