What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 with B-17

Ron RV8

Well Known Member
The Commemorative Air Force's B-17 came to visit. I took advantage of the photo op... Video shows some of the action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhqGrlk2eXM

No I didn't get to do any formation, but did snag a ride... To make it RV related there is a shot of our -8 with the bomber...

For more info click on "show more" in youtube.

Enjoy!

Did you notice that the crew weight limit was 1200 lbs for ten crew? These guys were just kids and scrawny kids at that when they set off on missions. I Wanted a tour but I'm twice the normal size the aircraft is designed for!

Very cool

Thanks for posting the video. I walked thru the Fort at Sun n Fun last year. Could not believe how small it was inside. Was watching a documentary last night where they said you were much safer to be a foot soldier in the early days of the war in Germany than a crewmember in one of these.

Great respect for the courage of those young men!

don't hurt yourself eh?

folks should know that Ron had to go thru the drama of dusting off his plane, opening the hangar door, and pushing his -8 almost SIXTY FEET for this photo op.

....and then he goes for a RIDE, while I'm sweating my @*&# off working the gate, setting up fencing, making signs, running ice and water and pop and....

...well, it was all worth it, a great event, and thanks to the CAF Arizona wing, hopefully not the last!

( gotta get some formation pics next time Ron...maybe with your -8... inverted ....over the B-17? :) need a backseater????

Sorry Perry...:eek: I really did not expect a flight... I also did not expect it to affect me as emotionally as it has. Great respect for the "kids" that did this...

After my 7+ "volunteer" shifts I was out letting down the taxiway tape and heard my name being called way off in the distance. Turned out I got the last "volunteer" seat on the last flight (which really was not expected to go).

Too bad you weren't there:mad:, sign-up was just beside the ice chest... you might have beat me to it...

Great signs, many compliments by the crew...

(Oh by the way - I don't think I want to be upside down "over" the B-17. Great idea though.... Seems that without an inverted system in the -8, more than a few seconds negative and the engine quits. Drat!)

Back