What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Video of my RV Vinyl Wrap

pmccoy

Well Known Member
It's been a few weeks since I finished my Vinyl Wrap, so I thought it was time to post a quick video of the process.

The results look great. The cost was much less then paint, and the process was completed much faster.

Very nice indeed! My wife thought it was pretty cool, too. It didn't hurt any that yellow is her favorite color. I've been seeing some pretty impressive looking wrap jobs, can't wait to check one out in person. I figure I'm still a couple of years away from that stage, and I suspect it"s only going to get better.

I've been told by a Wrap company that the wrap weighs LESS than paint.

Arlen,

Its half the weight.

Great wrap. We prefer to use large one piece panels to avoid seams unless impossible. The seams are a huge focus regarding our installs.

I like the yellow!

Our version:

Thanks for the nice comments. To answer a couple of questions, the cost was less then paint. I had a couple of quotes, and they ranged from 60% to 85% of what I had been quoted for the same scheme to be done in paint. As for weight, yes I am expecting it to be less then an equivalent paint job, as it is only a single layer. I just today got a lead on a new set of scales, so I will report back after I get the 'after' weight measured.

For me one of the nice things is how fast it can be done. It was only a few working sessions to complete the plane. I spent a week getting it really clean, and the wrap company came out for several early evening and one weekend session to get it done.

I guess the big question will only be answered with time. How will it look a couple of years down the road? Right now it looks every bit as good as paint. Only time will tell if I am still this happy in a few years. But hey, if not, the vinyl can be pulled and I would have a clean aluminum plane ready for paint, or new vinyl.

Peter,

Paint is out! Your gonna love it.

I thank you for thinking outside to norm. We didn't do your wrap, but it looks great.

We have almost 500 hrs on our 2 "in house" aircraft. Please give me an email [email protected] and I'd be happy to share some "operational" details we pass on to our customers.

Regards,

Scott

How Do I Find If Possible?

Peter it looks great.
Do they have people all around the country doing this?
Any idea how to see if someone not too far from south Louisiana
Is wrapping airplanes?

Amount of prep required?

When painting, the Fiberglass on my rv10 needed an incredible amount of prep work to get it ready for paint (pinholes, etc).

Now building an 8a. I'm really hoping this isn't the case with a wrap. Please advise as to level of prep work necessary to be done prior to wrap.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

Shrinking

Just wondering what the installers say about the product shrinking over time?

I have some experience with having large trailers and trucks done up with vinyl logos and lettering. I always use the very best 3m film but I do notice that over the years the material shrinks a little bit and you can see the lines where the it started. Minimal shrinkage but it is noticeable and would think a plane baking in the sun would be a potential issue for this?

Just wondered. Job looks great, amazing what can be done nowadays.

Just wondering what the installers say about the product shrinking over time?

I have some experience with having large trailers and trucks done up with vinyl logos and lettering. I always use the very best 3m film but I do notice that over the years the material shrinks a little bit and you can see the lines where the it started. Minimal shrinkage but it is noticeable and would think a plane baking in the sun would be a potential issue for this?

Just wondered. Job looks great, amazing what can be done nowadays.

What 3M vinyl are you using? Our vinyl is a 0.015% (0.4MM) shrinkage during install. After the install the vinyl is stable in all temperature zones.

I would only state that seams and install process will determine the overall lifespan greatly.

Aircraftwraps spent hundreds of hours flight testing our install process and refining that process to come to the level we have now.

Watching the video, We do see an issue with how they did the install... however, It's not our place to be on someones thread and state that. If the original poster would like to contact us, we would be happy to share the details.

(It's not our intention to say anything negative regarding this wrap. Looks great, we are just trying to help the OP enjoy his wrap to its maximum lifespan within a very different environment compared to trucks and cars).

Wraps are interesting, but what is the lifespan compared to paint and if the plane is bare aluminum under it, I fear corrosion. Aircraft Wraps quote was within 10% of my paint quote from GLO on the same scheme so without the same lifespan I couldn't go that route. Real interested to hear what the original poster paid his local installers. I would also like to hear what the vinyl weighs. We are always given percentages versus paint but that is highly questionable practice as it assumes what the paint weight is. What is the actual weight of the vinyl process installed?

When I started looking at a wrap, I talked with the guys from AircraftWraps. They were very helpful and answered lots of my questions, but they are in Florida and I am in Southern California. I decided to use a link on the 3M website that listed 'Certified' installers in my area. I think AircraftWraps is now looking into partnering with local installers in areas outside of Florida. Anyway, the installer I used did a great job.

As for pin holes, I think you still need to cover them. When you look close, you do see the contours of the surface below the wrap.

Spec's on the 3M Scotchprint 1080 Series Vinyl, copied from the 3M website.
3M™ Wrap Film 1080-G25 Gloss Sunflower, 60 in x 25 yd
3M ID 75347218176 UPC# 00051128915516

Dual cast 3.5 mil Gloss Sunflower wrap film features removable, pressure-activated adhesive with non-visible air release channels. The 60 inch width allows you to wrap almost any section of a vehicle without seams.

Use it right out of the box, no need to print or apply an overlaminate.
Manufactured with two color layers for dimensional stability and durability.
3.5 mil cast film for easier handling and good conformability and lifting resistance.

Last edited:
Is the wing-walk sticker placed on top of the vinyl, or is it stuck to the aluminum and the vinyl trimmed around it?

Wrap...

Was this done in socal?

I'm not close to paint/wrap yet, but I'm preparing.

Also, how easy is this to patch/fix over time? I know something will happen to my plane! *sigh*

Dkb

Rob;
Is the wing-walk sticker placed on top of the vinyl, or is it stuck to the aluminum and the vinyl trimmed around it?

Yes, the wing walk sticker went on top of the vinyl. The vinyl on the wing is one big piece on top and one on the bottom.

David;
Was this done in socal?

Yes, the wrap company came to my hangar at Chino (KCNO). It was really great having them come to me. I didn't even have to take off the ailerons, flaps or any control surface. We did take the canopy off at one point, but that is really simple when you have a couple of guys to lift it off.

Over paint

I wonder, can you go over existing paint or would that add too much weight?

Wraps are interesting, but what is the lifespan compared to paint and if the plane is bare aluminum under it, I fear corrosion. Aircraft Wraps quote was within 10% of my paint quote from GLO on the same scheme so without the same lifespan I couldn't go that route. Real interested to hear what the original poster paid his local installers. I would also like to hear what the vinyl weighs. We are always given percentages versus paint but that is highly questionable practice as it assumes what the paint weight is. What is the actual weight of the vinyl process installed?

I agree. What is the actual weight. Painting can be from below 15 lbs. to well over 30 lbs.

I agree. What is the actual weight. Painting can be from below 15 lbs. to well over 30 lbs.

I just responded in an email to this very question.

We complete an RV8 for Titan Aircraft Engines on Late Thursday. We used our new printed process instead of the “layering” on vinyl. Aircraftwraps is always searching for ways to further reduce weight. Layering brought our vinyl in at 1/2 the weight of an equivalent paint scheme. Printing promises to further slash that total. I’d rather “show” you the real number instead of simply stating it. We plan to reassemble the aircraft friday and reweigh for a final weight total. Hopefully, you’ll allow me to follow up friday-saturday with “real-world” numbers?

Half the weight of paint assuming what paint weight? What did the layering process weigh?

The results look great. The cost was much less then paint, and the process was completed much faster.

Not to mention no harsh chemicals, solvents, spray equipment etc as with paint.

Was a little concerned seeing the propane flame used around the aircraft if there was any fuel or fumes in the tanks.

Bevan

That caught my attention as well! I would think a heat blower, commercial kinda like a hair dryer would be far safer.

Was a little concerned seeing the propane flame used around the aircraft if there was any fuel or fumes in the tanks.

Bevan

3M 1080 specifically states NOT TO USE FLAME/Torch and only heat guns in the Manufactures Technical Spec sheets.

Is the flame/torch/heat gun intended to shrink that section of the vinyl, or to soften it so it can be stretched? It looks like it was only used near the canopy, where some compound curves were happening.

Given where it was being pointed, i'd be more worried about stress concentrations in the canopy bubble than fire considerations due to fuel... :/

Guys that wrap in the field often use the propane torch because they lack power. Guys that own their shop will use a hair dryer or sometimes heat gun. A hair dryer is all that is needed and it doesn't burn you when you need to hold it. Some of the better guys can hold the dryer between their legs or arms and use both hands to apply.

This material will stretch easier and also release wrinkles when heated. You can literally ball it up then apply heat and it will look like it just came off the roll.

There are hundreds of wrap videos online you can see how this works. There is no magic to it. It is an art so I wouldn't advise attempting it on your own.

Edit: BTW, a propane flame will punch right through this material. Your canopy would not be damaged at that temp but of course could be if someone just held the flame in one spot.

Last edited:
Weight...

I just put one square foot of 3M 1080 bright blue on my store's gram scale. .5 ounce.

Please, someone reply what paint is per square or the total square feet on an RV-? (500 sq in a two seat would be my guess...puts vinyl at 16 pounds without primer or fillers). The low end of Mel's numbers.

Prep over fiberglass will be about the same or the weave shows. Pin holes do not show so much. IMHO. So add that to weight...

My -8 is half polished, went from 1018 to 1050 = 32 lbs but some other things were done that I did not record between weigh ins. My cowl and spinner are painted. Fly boys did the military markings and name on the nose. Local sign shop (that also do complete wraps) did the girl...

My wrap is a DIY, but so was the plane...LOL

Last edited:
Fly boys did the military markings and name on the nose. Local sign shop (that also do complete wraps) did the girl...

My wrap is a DIY, but so was the plane...LOL

Your plane's a work of art. By the time I saw it at Nehalem Bay the other day and realized it was yours, you were gone headed into town. I'd be curious what the do-it-yourself process was like, and since I am considering a RV-8 build, I'd sure like to discuss in general. I'm over at Twin Oaks.

greg

I just can't get over imagining a small piece of those huge sheets of plastic starting to separate at 200mph and the potential catastrophic effects.

Blow off

I have never noticed the decals coming off a transport truck going down the highway or the side of an ambulance peeling off. Really cant imagine that is reasonable risk.

I am interested in how they hold up over time with the weather, freeze thaw, expand contract etc. Will see.

I just can't get over imagining a small piece of those huge sheets of plastic starting to separate at 200mph and the potential catastrophic effects.

Good enough for 'multiple' Fed's, good enough for me:

fedex_panda_express.jpg

Your plane's a work of art. By the time I saw it at Nehalem Bay the other day and realized it was yours, you were gone headed into town. I'd be curious what the do-it-yourself process was like, and since I am considering a RV-8 build, I'd sure like to discuss in general. I'm over at Twin Oaks.

greg

Thanks Greg. I get over to a Twin Oaks about three times a year to cashier at breakfast. September will be the next time. We work Saturdays, so many fly-ins are out for us. Email Bruce at wilsonvillediamond dot com and we can get together at Aurora Sundays or Mondays.
Cheers!

That looks great. Thank you for sharing your project. Does anyone know if there are any companies that provide this service in Australia, preferably Victoria?

There is in fact an advantage to wraps, they can come to you! I would much prefer the applicators coming to my air conditioned clean airplane factory to install it! I can just see them arriving by commercial air or their own plane, crawling out with an arm full of rolls of vinyl, and a couple of days later leaving me with a completed plane wrap!
At least I THINK it can work that way.
That looks great. Thank you for sharing your project. Does anyone know if there are any companies that provide this service in Australia, preferably Victoria?

There is in fact an advantage to wraps, they can come to you! I would much prefer the applicators coming to my air conditioned clean airplane factory to install it! I can just see them arriving by commercial air or their own plane, crawling out with an arm full of rolls of vinyl, and a couple of days later leaving me with a completed plane wrap!
At least I THINK it can work that way.

Don,

Air condition!!!

We'll be right over! ;)

Yes, it works exactly as you said.

We just finished Titan Aircraft Engine's RV8. Titan pushed us into some really amazing graphics and new install requirements. Throw in a 2 week time constraint to get the aircraft heading toward Reno for Pylon race school!:eek:

Sorry, It's been a "all hands on deck" couple of weeks. Long hours and the website has taken a backseat to our backlog of current clients.

Please email us at [email protected] and we will answer any question.

Titan's RV8 Photos: They will be posted on VAF after their representative views the aircraft tomorrow morning.

Also: AircraftWraps will be giving a presentation at KLEE in central Florida tomorrow around 10-11am to the local EAA chapter. We will have 3 aircraft arriving for display and discussion. Please join us if you can. (we will be the amazing looking flight of 3 RV8s :D

It's been a few weeks since I finished my Vinyl Wrap, so I thought it was time to post a quick video of the process.

There are lots of places on an RV that would normally be painted but which might not be suitable for vinyl wrapping. I refer specifically to areas adjacent to control surfaces.

For instance how is the rear spar of the wing treated where the flaps and ailerons attach. And how is the rear spar of the vertical stabiliser treated where the rudder attaches. And likewise for the rear spar of the HS where the elevators attach. There are lightening holes, brackets, doubler plates etc in these areas so presumably it would be difficult if not impossible to apply wrap in there.

With painted planes these areas are normally painted because you can see in to these areas. If they're not painted they look very ordinary indeed.

How did you deal with this problem. I'm guessing that if the aircraft was vinyl wrapped with the control surfaces in place then these areas have simply been left as primer or bare metal (or a mixture of both).

You are right Bob

My rear spars are primed only. Cheap and quick, then back in the air...keep her moving and no one will notice. :)
Cheers!

Agreed. The rear spar is just primer. You don't notice unless you are snooping in looking really close.

You can stand 3 feet away and think it's paint. 1 foot out you know it's vinyl. Yes, if you look really close, there are a few spots that have pulled or stretched to tight and you know for sure it vinyl. In the end....

- it was way faster then getting a paint job, and they came to my hangar
- I didn't have to remove the control surfaces
- The cost was much less then paint (although, cost will vary. I had some quotes that were almost as much as paint. None were more then paint)
- I am happy.

The big question is, will I still be happy several years down the road?

You can stand 3 feet away and think it's paint. 1 foot out you know it's vinyl. Yes, if you look really close, there are a few spots that have pulled or stretched to tight and you know for sure it vinyl. In the end....

Peter,

Very sorry to hear that! :(

Looking at the video raised our eyebrows to what they were doing?

Your statement above is completely counter to what anyone has said viewing our product and installs in person.

I'm loading photos and video now. I'll provide Hi Def photo and video to counter and represent AircraftWraps' install and service specifically designed for the aircraft community.

While I load, Please hit our instagram link for Titan's aircraft.

Hopefully, Titan will speak first hand regarding our working together.

The big question is, will I still be happy several years down the road?
One massive plus to this process... If you're *not* happy several years down the road, you're only a hair dryer away from being back to bare aluminum.

There are lots of places on an RV that would normally be painted but which might not be suitable for vinyl wrapping. I refer specifically to areas adjacent to control surfaces.

I'm also interested in knowing how you resolve this issue. Y'all discussed the spars. Now, how do you wrap the end ribs on the flight controls, flaps, horizontal stabilizers, vert stabilizer, aileron recesses, etc? Photos would be great (I just couldn't pick out these details in the videos....which are AWESOME, I might add).

Peter,

We took this specifically for you. Up close and within 1 foot. Very sorry to hear about the "over-stretching" and appearance from close you received from your auto-wrap installers.

As you can see we do take Wrapping to another level...

Wish we had been able to provide you with our service. From your quoted price-range, it sounds like we would have been within your desired range.

https://vimeo.com/97088128

https://vimeo.com/97087775

On the other hand... you dont have to deal with us having your contact info. We'd just bother you about flying formation with us some place for food!:rolleyes:

I'm also interested in knowing how you resolve this issue. Y'all discussed the spars. Now, how do you wrap the end ribs on the flight controls, flaps, horizontal stabilizers, vert stabilizer, aileron recesses, etc? Photos would be great (I just couldn't pick out these details in the videos....which are AWESOME, I might add).

Honesty...

We spent several years and hundreds of flight hours developing these details. There is a reason we omit them. Ask our former clients... they are all very vocal about our service. They can confirm that we contend with all issues regarding our aircraft. We are creating a Wrap Mafia!:D

Back