Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2020, 09:32 PM

Default 430W not sending GPS data to EFIS..any ideas?

I recently bought a nice RV-9A. The previous owner had just had a uAvionics EchoUAT ADS-B installed. On the flight back to the planeís new home base, we noted that the EFIS (AF4500) wasnít getting GPS data from the 430W. My buddy theorizes that the EchoUAT install buggered the ARINC connection somehow. Heís going to pull the interior and get under the panel tomorrow. Anything else he should be looking for while heís under there?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:50 PM

I would guess itís an RS232 problem. Did the installer have to update the 430W software to get adsb+ format available? I wonder if the formatting of the rs232 line to the efis got messed up somehow.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:10 AM

It really depends on what you mean by gps data.

Like Bob stated, it could be a rs-232 issue, which can be either an open circuit or bad configuration.

Latitude/longitude coordinates are sent on the rs-232 connection, whereas flight plan data is sent via Arinc. Which set of gps Data is the issue?
Old 09-18-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
It really depends on what you mean by gps data.

Like Bob stated, it could be a rs-232 issue, which can be either an open circuit or bad configuration.

Latitude/longitude coordinates are sent on the rs-232 connection, whereas flight plan data is sent via Arinc. Which set of gps Data is the issue?
Flight plan data isn't going to either the flight display (AF4500) or the map display (AF3500) and they display "GPS Integrity" with the red X when set to get flight plan data from the 430W. The 430W works fine by itself and flight instruments are fine. I do get ADS-B-in data on the map display. This all apparently started right after the EchoUAT was installed. After a long time on the phone yesterday with Rob Hickman and with uAvionix, my buddy did find the software manipulation necessary to get ADS-B+ running, but still no 430w and Rob's pretty confident that it's a wiring problem. We're going pull the seats and get under the panel (he is going to get under the panel) and look for a connector that's not connected. General consensus so far is that in the ARINC, but I'm sure he'll plug anything in that he sees uplugged. I'm not sure what all is involved with with an EchoUAT install, but it seems reasonable that there had to be some unplugging and re-plugging involved. Anyway...that was the conclusion from the discussions with the companies.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:12 AM

I suspect you have a pin thatís loose in the connector or a wire break at the crimp. Itís not all that uncommon when working behind the panel to accidentally tugged on an another wire causing issues like you described. Unfortunately these types of issues usually arenít easily seen or obvious. You have to usually take the db shell apart to see them. You can also use a VOM to perform continuity testing on each wire.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
I suspect you have a pin thatís loose in the connector or a wire break at the crimp. Itís not all that uncommon when working behind the panel to accidentally tugged on an another wire causing issues like you described. Unfortunately these types of issues usually arenít easily seen or obvious. You have to usually take the db shell apart to see them. You can also use a VOM to perform continuity testing on each wire.

Good luck!
Early in my IFR training I noted that my 430W would handle a RNAV approach just fine, but would not display a glideslope for an ILS on my EFIS. I got the localizer, and I had a glideslope for the RNAV, just not for the ILS. I ended up tracking it down to one single wire that had broken at the pin on the connector between the ARINC and the VHF side of the 430W. By the use of RTFM and knowing which pin/wire was the suspect, it was easy to find once I knew where to look.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:48 AM

General rule: do easy stuff first.
1. Look behind panel, see if somethings not plugged in.
2. Look at set up menu, make sure rs232 formats, speeds, arinc settings, are correct.
3. Pull connectors from back of both efis and 430, use an ohmmeter to make sure arinc and rs232 lines have continuity.
4. Disassemble connector shell if needed this is a pain, under the panel.
BTW, did you request an on-line adsb report from the faa? May as well see if thereís a problem there while youíre doing this.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

There's another potential problem. Your EFIS may have been using the RS-232 data line for the EFIS, and someone tapped into that line for the uavionics. But now the RS-232 is configured for ADSB+ OUT. It no longer works going to the EFIS. You have to use another serial line for either the EFIS or the uavioncis, but the same signal won't work for both.

We've seen this done already.

A quick check is to go into config mode on the 430 and look at the serial connections. One should be configured for Honeywell EFIS or something similar, depending upon your EFIS. There should be another RS-232 configured for ADBS+ OUT

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 09-18-2020, 04:53 PM

I appreciate the replies. My buddy has the plane right now trying to figure this out - he's much more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am. He's spent quite a bit of time on phone with both uAvionix and Rob at AFS, and this afternoon went through the cabling and connectors wire by wire. Pins and sockets are all good, continuity is good on all of them. He's of the opinion that the ARINC interface box is dead. He has a call in to AFS to find out how to check it, or replace it.

Any leads on a replacement for an ARINC box for a 430W to an AFS 4500 EFIS?
Old 09-18-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post

We've seen this done already.

Vic
Are people who work on airplanes really this clueless?
You should have included it in your book!