What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NX13PL - Airplane!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One step closer to flight!

Yesterday, Ann Asberry showed up at our hangar with her trusty assistant Mel in tow. It is clear to me (second time with the Asberry’s doing a licensing inspection) who REALLY does the work in this pair. Ann stands back and makes meaningful observations while Mel pokes and prods – she even makes him do all the paperwork when it’s all over! Every once in awhile, she says things like “is that a drip of red I see on the brake bleeder?” Amazing how nothing slips past her. (one slight turn of the wrench, and the drip was gone). Mel did manage to find the one jam nut I left loose (mixture ball joint at the servo) just to test him, but overall, the airplane passed muster – here are the proud parents being presented with the birth certificate:

IMG_1428.JPG

When all was said and done, we’d spent a couple of wonderful hours in the hangar with great people and good conversation, and RV-3 kit number 11425 is now a Dye-Hose RV-3, N13PL (jauntily sporting “NX13PL” on the tail …. because it can)! First flight is probably at least a week off due to scheduling constraints (dang work!), but the delay will serve well to force a careful transition between “building” and “flying” mindsets. I’ve been emphasizing forced landing and emergency operations in my recent daily flying just to get spun back up in flight test mode – you know what they say; if you are prepared, nothing bad will happen!

Here are a few additional shots from the day:

Ann and Louise running the inspection while Mel tries to figure out the plumbing:

IMG_1425.JPG

In the spirit of the season, Mel is making a list, and checking it twice….(he does sort of remind you of someone, doesn't he?)

IMG_1421.JPG

Here is Mel proving that he can lie down on the job in a smaller fuselage than Jay Pratt! (There is an advantage to being compact…)

IMG_1422.JPG

Mel signs the pink slip, as Paul reviews the new ops Limitations…”what do you mean we're restricted to sub-sonic flight?!”

IMG_1427.JPG

And the final step….Mel prepares the bill as Ann makes sure that the decimal point is in the right place!

IMG_1419.JPG

Thanks again to Mel and Ann for their visit – and to all of the many folks that have wished us well along the way to this point on the RV-3 project. Most special thanks go to Louise for being a full partner in this build (she is WAY past "apprentice", and needs to start thinkign about being the lead on her next project). We have had a ball building it, and are looking forward (carefully) to the flight phase. Stay tuned!

Paul

Last edited:
Congrats!

And please............post a new pic of that prop & spinner, for any excuse you can think of! I love the looks of it!

L.Adamson

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT news, :D:D:D

So, when are you going to have the christening so that "Junior" can get his (her?) true name??

Last edited:
Funny, I always thought of Junior as a boy while reading this amazing build story Paul and Louise have narrated us these last months.
What do the parents say?:D

I hope Junior's a boy so that it's OK to ask what he weighs... ;)

Oh yeah, and CONGRATULATIONS!! Can't wait for the flight report.

Last edited:
The parents aren't sure

Funny, I always thought of Junior as a boy while reading this amazing build story Paul and Louise have narrated us these last months.
What do the parents say?:D

Based on the two antennae bumping out of Junior's chest and a dimunitive bump further back on the belly, I think it's a girl. But, like you, Paul said this morning that he's been thinking Junior is male. Maybe we'll figure out its sex after first flight.

As for the permanent name, we're planning to wait until we reveal the paint job next spring. The "N" number might even change at that time. So, more suspense!

Thanks for all the support, folks!

What a wonderful report! I felt like I was looking over your shoulders as the events of the day unfolded. As one who knows his way around a rivet gun, I know full well that despite its small size, building an RV3 is far more challenging and demands more sheet metal skill than any modern match hole pre punch wonder. I heartily congratulate you Paul and Louise for a job well done and am looking forward to your first flight reports.

Nice job! Congrats!

Man I really want a -3! Darn you guys!

Great job and I can't wait to read the detailed flight reports!

Thanks for sharing!

BIG TIME CONGRATS

Paul and Louise,

Thanks for sharing your build and "birth" on VAF. I can't wait to see him/her, maybe at OSH 2012???

Test pilot?

Congratulations, Paul and Louise!

Paul, since you've already been a test pilot for the Val, how 'bout Louise being the...er..........never mind:D

Best,

Congratulations, Paul and Louise!

Paul, since you've already been a test pilot for the Val, how 'bout Louise being the...er..........never mind:D

Best,

We have a deal. I'm the first to drop virgin pits and he's the first to fly virgin planes. We know our respective strengths! :D

Congratulations, you two! Best of luck on your first and all subsequent flights!

mcb

Congrats!

But I think I see a problem. Is that a string holding your canopy open? You cant have a simple string doing that on such a hi-tech 3!

Mel did manage to find the one jam nut I left loose (mixture bal joint at the servo) just to test him,

I don't think so Paul you forgot about that nut:D Also there was a beer then it magically disappeared from the table. I hope Mel didn't see it.

Congrats on job well done!

There was some discussion about the beer!

I don't think so Paul you forgot about that nut:D Also there was a beer then it magically disappeared from the table. I hope Mel didn't see it.
Congrats on job well done!

Paul thought I should have several before the inspection.
Louise vetoed the idea.

But I think I see a problem. Is that a string holding your canopy open? You cant have a simple string doing that on such a hi-tech 3!

Nope. Paul has a little, permanent cable there.

So, Rob, we expect to see your "birth" announcement might soon. With you in NoCal soon and us headed to the Carson City area in a couple of years, I hope our kids get to play together.

A great big congratulations!!!
This summer when Mel inspected my RV-9A he thought mine was going to be the first one he ever inspected that didn't have at least one jam nut loose. Guess what. The tiny jam nut on the elevator electric trim rod was loose. Dang! I think he sneaked around and loosened it off. ;)

Congratulations-

My friends! I'm very proud of both of you, for your accomplishment, and allowing many of us to share in your building!
Tom

Congrats to Mom and Dad...and welcome aboard Junior! So Louise, how cool is it to have done this build from front to back!?!?! Great feeling, I'll bet! What a great accomplishment for you guys! Looks really nice!

I'll have cee-gars with both blue bands and pink bands, just in case (FWIW...which aint much ;)... I thought JR was a boy too).

Congrats again (and roger the disappearing "DAR lubricant"...kiddin' Mel! :p)

Cheers,
Bob

I think we all feel like proud Grandparents!

Great job you two, always so much fun for the rest of us

Whats the next project???!

Well, actually, I think its a master bathroom remodel..... I'll have to get Stein working on the "avionics" package for that....

Oh, and Rob - when you figure out your canopy hold-open, let me know! I just can't bring myself to mount anything to that beautiful roll-bar (like Randy did), so the geometry is tricky. Fortunately, I still have a bag of cable swaging stuff from my catamaran days, so it was easy to make a short safety cable for now.

Paul

Excellent job...

a very nice looking aircraft you two have built there, question is, who gets to fly her first?
Hope to see both of you again at OSH in "Miss Sandy"
Later:rolleyes:

Congrats, Louise and Paul! Can't wait for the pictures of the little one's "first steps" (first flight pix)!

Best,

Congrats!!!!

Paul & Louise...
Congrats on the pink slip!
You did that -3 in an amazingly short period of time...
We will look for you at OSH.
Jim

In case you haven't heard it already, congratulations! You will love flying with the Garmin. Sorry we didn't meet up at Petite Jean; I am sure we will soon.

Congrats to all 3 of you! It's not your first dance, and you've built the toughest. Did it take any longer than your 8?

RV3

Congrats, Louise and Paul!

Can't wait to see pics and video of the first flight.

I know it will fly like a dream, it's an RV!!!

Brian Eisner
Halifax Nova Scotia
Canada
RV4 C-GRJT

Congrats Paul,
To quote my F-16 IP when I launched off on my first flight..."Have fun, don't break it! Remember, God gave you that great big beautiful canopy to look outside once in awhile!"

And yes, it is a beautiful UNOBSTRUCTED canopy, isn't it.....:D

Congrats to all 3 of you! It's not your first dance, and you've built the toughest. Did it take any longer than your 8?

The build log out in the hangar shows 1985 hours (total of the two of us) right now. The Valkyrie was 1040 hours to the same point.

Paul

enjoyed

watching and reading the progress, Im sure you two are a big reason the -3 is becoming more popular!

did you really think nobody would notice you switched the beer bottle for the fresca :p

well done!

Back