What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tight Squeeze Dimple?

Doug Lewis

Well Known Member
I'm sure there's a very simple way to do this. It's too tight to fit the nail through to use the pop riveter, and no luck with the avery yoke and squeezer. It's just that last hole at the back. Suggestions?

IMG_20110126_202137.jpg

"Unbend" the flange enough to get the nail in, dimple, re-bend the flange back into place.

use a blind rivet

I did. Unfortunately I don't recall offhand the exact rivet to use... hopefully someone else with a better memory (or more recent empennage work) will chime in.

rib end

I just finished doing this. I used the dyes with my pop rivet set, cut the nail very short and used a skiny pair of pliers that would fit on in between the rib and dye. hands hurt after but, it worked great

I just finished doing this. I used the dyes with my pop rivet set, cut the nail very short and used a skiny pair of pliers that would fit on in between the rib and dye. hands hurt after but, it worked great

I did this same thing, using a very short nail and the pop-rivet dimple dies. But instead of using a pair of pliers, I used my pneumatic squeezer with a no-hole yoke to reach into the tight area. Worked great!

duh! Great idea Burce, will try the squeezer next time! I have a real talent for doing things the hard way..:)

I'm sure there's a very simple way to do this....
After a bit of headscratching, I discovered a very simple, almost glaringly obvious way to do it and without needlessly bending the flange either. You insert the nail through the hole opposite the hole you want to dimple.

9qxwfl.jpg

Last edited:
Back