What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Choices

Berchmans

Well Known Member
Well, I am to the point of ordering the finishing kit for my RV8. I had the fuse kit delivered in June of 2010 and am already running out of things to do on it. I have read quite a bit on canopies and have pretty much decided to go with Todd's. Are there any down sides to this? I am planning on the Sika installation method as well...anyone have any recommendations on other items to upgrade at the finish kit stage?

You can't go wrong with a Todd's Canopies canopy. Mine was about $150.00 cheaper than the canopy from Vans and it is tinted. It looks great and was no more trouble to install. You won't regret Todd's.

Another For Todd

Very convenient, since Todd is about an hour south and he agreed to drop off an the house. I'm very pleased with the tinted canopy and with Todd!

Todd's Canopies

Hi folks,

I too am ordering my finishing kit and am considering Todd's canopies. Apparently you can't go wrong with him - any negative input at all?

What about tint? I want it tinted (I think 30% is the max for night flight, but not sure). Are there different tints/grades/colors or any other considerations?

I spoke with Todd and one pro (and con) is that the canopy is thicker and slightly larger, which means it's more substantial and also heavier. He thinks 2.5 lbs heavier FYI. He claims that his canopy is more appropriate for a 200mph plus airplane. He wasn't knocking Van's, just stating the facts as he sees them. Any input on this?

Thanks,
Bob

Todds Canopy RV-8

I've been reading about Todds canopies in previous posts. Can't find any advertisement regarding this product. Could someone please give me a lead? Thanks.

RV-8 90% done. (yea, right).

Another option

I just received my finishing kit and for the RV-8 I chose to go with another option. I ordered my canopy from Van's with a custom tint which is one shade lighter than Todd's but one shade darker than Van's standard. The tint number is 2514. When I spoke with Todd he would only do 2094 (Google plexiglass tints). I also purchased separably a different windshield which is much more raked and goes up to the baggage door. This came directly from Airplane Plastics who also makes Van's canopies. They shipped everything direct to me in one box. I have not installed the canopy yet but I am very happy with the choice. One reason I did not choose Todd's canopy is it has a different shape which I do not like as much as Van's shape, but that is just a personal choice.

I do not think they have a web site, at least I do not know of one. Mine is not done yet, so I do not have a photo. Sorry

Todd's is the ONLY way to go for an 8.

http://www.toddscanopies.com/index.php?id=129

Every time I see one of the many different types of large birds we have around here whizzing past the plane, I pat myself on the back for going with a Todd's Canopy. It's a difference you'll be happly to 'LIVE' with should a strike ever occur!

I do not think they have a web site, at least I do not know of one. Mine is not done yet, so I do not have a photo. Sorry

Do have have contact information for them? Googling Airplane Plastics returns several different companies. Thanks.

Can you share a link to Airplane Plastics or a link to pictures of their windshield?

Doug:

See attached link for comparison of windshields. The aircraft on the left is my brother's RV-8 with tinted Todds canopy. The tint is more "bronze" in color than the canopy on the right which is Aircraft Plastics 2514.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pratt.c...03PM?pli=1&gsessionid=03wNDGx3MO6XzvVkTWQzVQ#

A couple of personal thoughts on the canopies:

1. Todd's is definitely thicker which I believe is an advantage from the standpoint of strength and it gives better insulation and soundproofing though the latter two items are a moot point in RVs.
2. Todd's has a different shape. It appears to me to have a higher peak at the front. Because of this difference in shape you will find that Van's standard skirts have to be modified a bit at the rearmost point in order to fit properly.
3. I think Todd's tint is a bit darker than the 2415.

It's your choice depending on your taste. They are both good canopies. Had Todd's been available when I built my -8 I would have considered using it if for no other reason than the thickness. However I prefer the shape of the Aircraft Plastics canopy.

Chris

Last edited:
Todd's in not the only way to go for the -8 but it is the way I chose to go. It is a great canopy.

The only down side is the canopy skirts near the last 14" or so of the canopy do not fit very well as the slope of Todd's is somewhat shallower at the rear. You'll have to modify your skirts to fit and look the way you want but honestly you were going to have to do some of this work anyway....

Good Luck!

Chris, thanks! The difference between the two is noticable. Id never heard of the different windscreen for the front of vans cankopy before and still curious how that looks but plenty of time to do research. Id also be interested in contact info.

tint + photography?

How do you folks with tinted canopies feel about the photography through such canopies?

I sure would love a nice tinted canopy, but if photography is out of the question, then tint is out of the question.

Thanks!

DB

A bit OT

Wondering what the reason Todd and others don't make canopies for the -6 and -7 series??

Anybody know the answer?

Why doesn't Todd make -7 and -9 canopies?

My understanding is that the tandem canopies are formed by air pressure that simply streatches the plastic into the desired shaper shape as the "bubble" is filled with air.

On the other hand, side-by-side canopies, with their extra width, cannot be formed by air pressure alone, and need to be formed into a mold.

Todd apparently prefers not to get involved with the molding process.

Windsheild attachment

Thanks for all the input on canopy's. I think Todds will be best for me with the light tint. Now for a question on windscreens. I have been reading extensively on installation of the canopy and windsheild and have come the conclusion the Sika is the way to go rather than drilling and riveting or bolting. As to the windscreen and fiberglass work has anyone used 100% Sika and left the Fiberglass out? It seems to me that if you are very careful that a fillet can be formed around the windscreen forward edge and there would be no need for the overlay of the fiberglass on the windscreen and forward skin. Has anyone done this?

Back