What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prospective Builder/How to Convince Your Wife??

Rabidsnipe

Hello All,
Not sure if I've introduced myself before, if I have I apologize, if I have not, well here I am. My name is Chase Ray and I am currently working as a Manufacturing Engineer at a material handling company in Guthrie, OK. I am also working on my PPL at Crabtree Aircraft at Guthrie-Edmond Regional Airport. I've been interested in flying for as long as I can remember. I became specifically interested in buliding when I managed to get a ride in an RV-4 as part of an aerodynamics class in college (degree in Mechanical Engineering). I am interested in building an RV-7A or RV-9A but have not started/purchased anything yet. My other interests include: motorcycles, video games, working out, working around the house, freshwater aquariums, my Blue Heeler/Beagle, and my wonderful wife.

Speaking of my wonderful wife, she is not yet convinced that we "need" to build/buy an airplane. Imagine that. She is an accountant by trade and cannot seem to get over the "astronomical" price of building a plane. I think that she likes the "idea" of owning a plane that is capable of XC travel (we've got family all over the country) but doesn't like the idea of paying for it. I'm sure that lots of people on here have dealt with spouses who have not "gotten it" or "just don't understand". Is there any advice for a guy who wants to build but can't seem to get the boss to sign off on the deal? And no, find a new boss is not the option!!

Thanks guys.

-Chase

Welcome...

......to VAF, Chase. Boy has this dog been beaten before:D One thing that comes to mind is that you could ask your wife if she'd rather travel at 120MPH for $50,000 in a used Skyhawk or travel around 200 in a brand new RV that you'd have maybe $80,000 in AND be allowed to do all your own annuals (condition inspections) and every single bit of maintenance yourself, at your leisure, legally with the repairman's certificate (issued to the builder[you] at final inspection.)

Try using the "search" feature at the top of the page and type in a pertinent word, like "wife" or so and see what you get. There's a lot posted in that regard and many wives have chimed in too.

Regards,

You might tell her, since she's an accountant, that airplanes increase in value.

You also might just ask her to step out of her accountant-role for a few minutes, imagine she's 80 years old, and at the end of her life, and ask her what advice she would then have for how a life should be lived.

You're not just building an airplane. This is a life experience.

My only advice would be don't consider doing it if she's not on board. And if she's not on board, you'll have a bigger problem anyway if this is something your heart is set on.

I feel you....

she is not yet convinced that we "need" to build/buy an airplane

Welcome Chase,

I'm a low time pilot with a limited income. Stretching the budget just for the occational hop, let alone building, has been challenging. So, at this point, I can't imagine having the lifestyle to "need" an airplane. With that in mind, the bug still bit me pretty hard. Early on I had many discussions with my wife on this subject. She understands that it's a passion for me and supports it, just as I support her interests. The condition, of course, is that I keep time and money in check.

Talk. You'll find a comprimise and get your "fix". :D

Good Luck.

Step 1- Take her flying in a dogged-out spam can.
Step 2- Have one of your new VAF buddies take her for a ride in an RV.
If she isn't on board after her RV flight, give it up. Take up woodworking or some other "normal" hobby. My bet is that she will understand why you would want to own an RV after such a comparison...my wife did. She flew in Ken Harrill's wonderful -6 and was jumping up and down on the tarmac with a huge smile afterwards...THANKS KEN!!! It was the best flight that I never took :)
Don

As others have said, Welcome Aboard.

As long as she is not adverse to flying, get her into a 172 or such, so she is familiar with the performance.

Then get her a ride in an RV.

Now work on the accountant side of things----talk $$$-----cost of building a new RV, vs cost of a new Cessna. What kind of used aircraft can you get for the cost of building. Cost of flying both. Cost of any production plane that matches the RV in perf.

Join a local EAA chapter, get her in touch with other wives who fly--------preferably in RVs.

Good luck.

I'll re-iterate what others have said. You're not buying an airplane--you're building one. That is a life experience beyond comparison. At the end, you'll have an airplane.

Unlike most cars, airplanes have true value. They're not investment quality assets, but they're not like cars either. Cars are nearly worthless a few years after purchase. An airplane should be worth a little more every year.

Don't mention the cost of ownership until you're nearing completion! ;)

I was lucky in that my wife knew it was my dream before we started dating. She supports my dreams, I support hers. I'm just glad I'm building an airplane instead of going to medical school. She really got the raw end of that deal!

Guy

cheaper than a mistress

If you build a plane there will be less time and no money to pursue a mistress. She will always know where you are...in the garage.

My very worthless $.02.

First, don't try to convince her that this makes economic sense. Anyone who knows anything about economics and "opportunity costs" will quickly see through that argument. It sounds like she is one of those types.

Second, talk to her about how this (flying and building) is one of your passions in life. If it truly is, and if she can see that, and if your family budget CAN afford it (WILLING TO is another issue), I think that's your best bet.

I have it pretty lucky. #2 above was all I needed. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the replies guys. She doesn't have reservations about flying (she might have some about flying in a plane I built) but has been up in a 172 before. That was basically my thought as well. If I let her spend a little bit of time in a 172 (or better yet a 152!!) and then let her fly in a 7 or 9 surely she'll be hooked. If she's not by then, there is probably no chance anyway.

-Chase

Another 2 Cents.

Chase,
Better yet, have her get a ride in a RV with you in C-172 and let her pass you up! Then talk about trips you can take in the New RV you can build. Also get with your local chapter we have several wifes that are getting more involved in aviation after they joining the chapter. Good luck, I am building mostly because of my wife, she thought it would be a good project for me. She is in the shop helping almost 90% of the time. We have a good system in our build process! The team work approach might also help your end goal. We just put our wings of for the first time. Matt

I am building mostly because of my wife, she thought it would be a good project for me. She is in the shop helping almost 90% of the time. We have a good system in our build process! The team work approach might also help your end goal. We just put our wings of for the first time. Matt

You are one lucky man!!!!

Keep her happy, whatever it takes:D

Chase,

Welcome. Next time you and the wife get down to Dallas give me a ring. I'd be happy to take your wife up for a flight in my RV-6 and let her get a feel for what 'life with an airplane' is all about.

I'll fly her back to the Oklahoma border in about 15 minutes and then bring her back to 52F <g>.

I tell people, "It's cheaper than therapy."

b,
dr

Hello All,
Not sure if I've introduced myself before, if I have I apologize, if I have not, well here I am. My name is Chase Ray and I am currently working as a Manufacturing Engineer at a material handling company in Guthrie, OK. I am also working on my PPL at Crabtree Aircraft at Guthrie-Edmond Regional Airport. I've been interested in flying for as long as I can remember. I became specifically interested in buliding when I managed to get a ride in an RV-4 as part of an aerodynamics class in college (degree in Mechanical Engineering). I am interested in building an RV-7A or RV-9A but have not started/purchased anything yet. My other interests include: motorcycles, video games, working out, working around the house, freshwater aquariums, my Blue Heeler/Beagle, and my wonderful wife.

Speaking of my wonderful wife, she is not yet convinced that we "need" to build/buy an airplane. Imagine that. She is an accountant by trade and cannot seem to get over the "astronomical" price of building a plane. I think that she likes the "idea" of owning a plane that is capable of XC travel (we've got family all over the country) but doesn't like the idea of paying for it. I'm sure that lots of people on here have dealt with spouses who have not "gotten it" or "just don't understand". Is there any advice for a guy who wants to build but can't seem to get the boss to sign off on the deal? And no, find a new boss is not the option!!

Thanks guys.

-Chase

Last edited:
Been there....

I took mine to the factory when it was out in North Plains. She asked Ken Scott how much a kit cost. He told her about $18K. She did not figure out that did not include all the stuff to actually make it fly until quite a few years later. Hence, as I have stated before, my airplane cost 8 years, $80K, and one wife. Worth every penny.

Studies have shown that you can only spend 500 hours on hobbies per year if you have a real job and a family. Some of your hobbies are going to get neglected.

My other interests include: motorcycles, video games, working out, working around the house, freshwater aquariums, my Blue Heeler/Beagle, and my wonderful wife.

Umm...seems your order of interests starts with motorcycles and ends with wife. If you plan to get anywhere you may need to rethink that order...start with Planes, then motorcycle etc. ending with wife.:D

Just Went Through This a couple months ago

I thought about the "Don't Tell her" act...but relented.

3 Months ago when I heard about Vans raising the prices, I told her I wanted to pull the trigger on my dream. I had been laying the ground work for years, been "saving" for the past 10 years...but the money of course isn't set aside, One mutual fund for the family. By the way... my backbone was expeditiously removed by her and "Mom" 20 years ago when I said I do...it has taken many years to heal. We have a great marraige but Im not lucky enough to have one of those OK sure lets buy an airplane wives.

She says she'll never fly in it, says its unsafe, will fill her garage with **** etc etc. The worst is about once a week when a UPS package arrives with more "airplane ****". But for the past 3 months she has been easier on me than I expected. She said yesterday building that plane will get the boys away from the video games, WOW.

I am with you brother...My wife did say she wished their was a forum to talk to other wives about what this will be like, Can one of you moderators start a wives network?

This is your dream, calling, goal in life, has to get done before you kick the bucket thing...and once she sees your conviction, she wont get on board but she wont stand in your way either!!!

Have your wife send me a quick email and I'll send it to Kathy [email protected]

Decision to build

I am with "Bugsy". Let me boil it down for you.

A client and I discussed this same issue his retort was "sometimes you have to make a MAN decision". If not now, when?

Do not strap your family's finances to build your TOY. This is a sure fire way to give your toy to her Attorney.

This should also not be accomplished with funds you should be investing in your retirement accounts.
I also do not reccomend building with a loan, I prefer cash.

Read the "married dude's guide to building an airplane" http://rvproject.com/wife.html

Tad Sargent
7A 377 hours
Financial Advisor by day
Married to the same woman for 20 years.

Last edited:
Here's how I did it:

*First and foremost, I got her a ride in an RV. This greatly tilted the tables in my favor.
*I offered to give up something so I could start building - my prize possesion 1991 Honda Beat.
*Discuss the financial positives with her - you pay as you go and don't drop one huge lump sum on the plane. Also, planes typically hold their value better than cars (this was relevant to my argument as I've been a car buff since I can remember).

This thread is kind of fun to read. My wife reminded me the other day that the loan on her 2003 Subaru Legacy is up in May. Up to now, I've built the airplane on my own dime, with money I admit from selling a radio station that I had an interest in and from part-time jobs. That money is pretty much gone now (OK, quite a bit of it went to emergency things like kids education and stuff. And I paid cash for my car, so there'd be one for my son to drive.).

Anyway, I'm trying to work up the nerve to "suggest" to my wife that I redirect that loan money ($450 a month) to the airplane project. We've been married 25 years and these things are still delicate issues; so I know what you're going through.

One thing that it's important to find out from your wife, is what she is afraid spending the money on the airplane will deprive you two of. She may have her own dreams here. Plus, if there's a chance that you won't have money to have kids or send your kids to college etc. etc., then you have to have a real serious conversation about that.

RV airplanes are fun to build and I guess they're fun to fly. But they have their place in the family list of priorities. The only real problem is if everyone isn't on the same page.

...Then talk about trips you can take in the New RV you can build. Also get with your local chapter we have several wifes that are getting more involved in aviation after they joining the chapter...
I put up a BIG map of the USofA with two hour concentric circles centered on our house and hung a big string from the center. As I would work, she would get that string out and say things like, "We can be at the beach in less than an hour!" or "My best friend is only four hours away, that's faster than the airlines!"

The other thing I did was to introduce her to the wives of other builders. This did two things, first she no nonger thinks I'm a nut because there are other people out there doing the same thing and second, she gets along well with the other wives so when we go places, she has someone to talk to and doesn't have to talk "airplane" for eight hours like we tend to do.

How much exitement

Is your Wife up for?

My buddy is a superb RV4 aerobatic pilot...Took my Wife for a little trip...She loved it, but it was too small and she wanted to sit next to me....Rats, there goes the in-line rollrate!

As others have said, if you can't get her on board it will be a miserable experience at best.

I am lucky to "earn all the money" so to speak so my Wife didn't feel she could reasonably stand in my way, especially as we were married for three years and I had rebuilt the house, doubling it in size and given her her dream pad. She is a teacher and I'm an engineer.

I also had the money saved and no debt, so that was much easier for me to swing.

If I was putting our financial security at risk she wouldn't have gone for it.

The other question is...How long are you going to be working on this thing?...I had enough time to work out 3 times a week, and she did EVERYTHING else except change the oil in the cars...Made dinner, cleaned up etc.

I built mine from a quick build, painted it and it took me 18 months with a full time job..I had no other hobbies but Sunday was no airplane day...Cough..:)

So take the time away from family seriously...If your expected to do half the house chores it will take longer.

Frank

Oh and..

I don't know what the WX is like where you are but an instrument rating is almost essential around here to really use the airplane for travel.

If its all about cost there is no way you can justify an RV...fly on the big can...its cheaper

Travel

One thing that it's important to find out from your wife, is what she is afraid spending the money on the airplane will deprive you two of. She may have her own dreams here.

This is a key point for my wife. She loves international adventure travel (as do I), so a big part of the deal is ensuring that we still take great trips even if they delay the RV build due to cost. She's tagging along on a business trip to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks, then we're traveling together in SE Asia for a week, then she's staying for 2 more weeks while I come back to work... This means I have 2 weeks of nightly building without having to help with anything else around the house!

The travel opportunities in the future are also key. Having driven to Baja 3 times, the only way we're going back is by RV -- that road terrifies her more than flying.

Hello All,

Thanks guys.

-Chase

Here's how it worked for me. I like to fly. Here in Oregon I can rent a C-172 for 110/hr wet. It cruises at 120 kts (on a good day). It is a 1976 model not very nice inside. I can rent a 172 SP (and I have for 135/hr wet).

Now we fly primarily 600 nm trips to see family in Utah and So. Cal. A 172 is painfully slow and the hourly fees rack up pretty fast including the fact that I get charged 3 hours minimum even on the days I don't fly (because the plane isn't back home making money).

Even an accountant can figure out that is pretty expensive, especially if you do this frequently.

Now factor in a new kit built plane (I'm building a 9a). For around 100K I should have a 185 mph plane with modern glass panel avionic (IFR capable).

The finances are comparable if you fly much at all but you will be in a plane you can't get in the certificated world.

Worked for me

start building when your single

Or that is what I did anyway. I wouldn't try to justify building an RV by thinking I could save money or save time. It is true that this will happen some times, but only some times. But how many of us have flown somewhere only to be held up by weather, there's a nights hotel stay, or couldn't leave when you wanted to because of weather, rental car when you get there. Not to mention all the little things that go into build and or owning an airplane, there is always more than you think. I quite trying to justify my hobby a long time ago, faced the fact that I am a little crazy, gave up a few other hobbies, and I just picked up my finishing kit today. If you are going to convince her, get her hooked on the fun of it. This is pretty much a lifestyle for me, and I don't think I am alone on that. No regrets.

Wife convinced... now I have to reconvince myself!

In my case it seems a bit different where I'm wavering... My wife is very supportive of my desire to build a plane. In fact she gets on my case if I let it slide for too long. She even gave me the cash to buy the wings, though a move from Seattle to Los Angeles spent that quickly... I still need to show that priorities take exactly that.. priority. :)

Now heres where in my case the story gets tough. My wife and I are expecting our first child in June of this year, a girl. The amount of time I can spend on the plane is obviously going to go down now. And don't get me wrong... I'm excited to no end to be a dad-to-be! I am 35 and work for a major game development studio so I have the time left in my life, but I'm yearning to fly sooner than 15 years from now and dread the idea of wasting my money on renting a spam can.

I'm going to have to do some creative time management, as well as see if I can get any friends interested in helping me out in the shop! Anyone near the Culver City area that wants a new buddy?? :)

Cheers,
Joshua

I'm yearning to fly sooner than 15 years from now

Joshua - if you spend as much time building per day as the average american spends watching television, you'll have that thing done in way less than 15 years.

As for convincing my wife, my wing kit arrived 2 weeks before I got married so she knew what she was getting into...

Joshua - if you spend as much time building per day as the average american spends watching television, you'll have that thing done in way less than 15 years.

Right on. Turn off the TV...or put the plane in the living room so you don't have to. Its amazing how much time is wasted in front of it. I started when I was just dating my fiance so fortunately I didn't have too much persuading to do. Now I'm engaged and will be married in 5 months, so I guess its a race against the clock. Regardless of your situation, I think both parties in the relationship get a few silver bullets. For me, building an airplane is a great time to use one.

Yep. When we started building the RV we decided no TV till it was done. The RV has been flying for 2.5 years now and by accident the RV building caused us to kick the TV habit.

The TV is not a problem. Absolutely no interference with my building.

VAF. on the other hand--------------------:D

Most all good things in life cannot be justified by economics and airplanes qualify there. Since your wife is an accoutant, you're not going to get by with any BS economic justification of the project. You can tell her it will be spread out over so many years and you also won't be spending cash on what ever activity is filling your time now. So it might not be such a big cash drain after all. If it is, look for a less expensive airplane to build. They are out there, most are plans built with no kits. Unless your wife happens to be a pilot and wants to help build, either the project or your marrage will not survive a big cash drain over several years.
The other big factor is time. If you are old and retired, no problem. She probably wants you out of the house anyway. If you're young and in love, she is not going to like it at all, unless you're lucky enough to marry the fore mentioned kind of wife. However most young couples are not going to have the spare cash to build a RV anyway.. In between, hopefully she has devloped some hobbies, friends, and interest of her own to keep her busy without you.
So bottom line if you want to keep your wife, be sure money is not going to be any problem at all. And if she doesn't care for flying, encourage her other hobbies that will help fill her time. I hope it will work out, building your own airplanes is one of life's great experiences.

Wife's buy-in- this is a bit harsh, but true

We have enough to eat and a place to sleep. Flying (and building) is entertainment, not a necessity, so it comes after the usual family priorities.

My wife wavers a bit once in a while, but is (usually) willing to let me pursue my dream.

When I start to take a lot of complaining about the project, and the time issues, or flying in general, I remind her to call one of her friends (she's got a few single-mom friends, and a couple more with drinkers or rabid sports fans, or both for husbands).

Shortly after she has the long chat with her friend (whichever it may be this time), I get a hug and a smooch and a big thank you for being me, along with a big drop in the complaint rate.

ps. I used to be into woodworking much of the time - so far, I'm burning less money at airplane building per year. The engine and panel will change that in a couple more years.

Convincing? Use my method...

Whilst dating my wife 30+ years ago, I had a C150 that she loved to fly in so much, she named it "Herbie", and so I bought her some lessons and she soloed a C-152, got about 20 hrs of training. Never finished her license, but def caught the bug and loves to fly.

So when it came time to broach the subject of an RV build 8 years ago, she was even more excited than I was. Of course a side benefit is she flies perfectly competently on cross countries, just no T/O's or landings...

Still trying to coax her to finish up her training tho...

Jerry

The Final persuasion.

Read this thread and found it quite highly entertaining. But the one arguement I haven't seen is the RV vs. the Airlines one.

Walk her thru this one.
The drive to the airport, parking, checking luggage that MIGHT make your flight, the lines at security, bagging your trial sized toiletries, the wait to board, screaming kids, everyone trying to cram their 10lbs carry ons in bins made for 5 lbs carry ons. (slight exaggeration) Then the flight.. Pick the wrong airline and you'll have to pay for your snack, no blankets or pillows to try and make yourself comfortable, STILL screaming kids, the other person next to you, getting kicked by the screaming kid behind you when they kick the back of your seat.. Waiting on the rental shuttle at the other end of the flight, then having to drive to your final destination.

vs.

The drive to the smaller quieter airport and being able to drive right up to the airplane, park the car in a locked building after you pull the plane out, No checking bags, pack what you want and really need, You went thru security when you got thru the gate onto the airport. You board when you want to into a seat that is custom made for you, bring your own food and drinks that you know where they came from. You have your own inflight entertainment and of course spectacular views out the window. A comfortable flight to your destination...

All of this done in roughly the same amount of time.

Need we say more?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Read this thread and found it quite highly entertaining. But the one arguement I haven't seen is the RV vs. the Airlines one.

Walk her thru this one.
The drive to the airport, parking, checking luggage that MIGHT make your flight, the lines at security, bagging your trial sized toiletries, the wait to board, screaming kids, everyone trying to cram their 10lbs carry ons in bins made for 5 lbs carry ons. (slight exaggeration) Then the flight.. Pick the wrong airline and you'll have to pay for your snack, no blankets or pillows to try and make yourself comfortable, STILL screaming kids, the other person next to you, getting kicked by the screaming kid behind you when they kick the back of your seat.. Waiting on the rental shuttle at the other end of the flight, then having to drive to your final destination.

vs.

The drive to the smaller quieter airport and being able to drive right up to the airplane, park the car in a locked building after you pull the plane out, No checking bags, pack what you want and really need, You went thru security when you got thru the gate onto the airport. You board when you want to into a seat that is custom made for you, bring your own food and drinks that you know where they came from. You have your own inflight entertainment and of course spectacular views out the window. A comfortable flight to your destination...

All of this done in roughly the same amount of time.

Need we say more?:rolleyes:
I like that one.

Email sent (she's out of town).

My 2 cents

Ok, here is what is working for me. (notice I say working, not completely over the hump yet)

First of all, as a young couple, it is important for you to find out what is important for her in life... what her priorities are for you the family. I'll give you my personal experience as an example.

I have wanted to fly and build an airplane for several years now, but never had the money. Got married 3 1/2 years ago and had to finish putting her through Dental Hygiene school. Last year was our first full year of double income. (rocking btw) So at the beginning of last year, I really ramped up the talk of learning to fly, she said go for it. So, joined a great flying club with decent rates and great airplanes and learned to fly in short order and flew a total 120 hours in about 10 months. Around August, I started making noises about wanting to build an RV. NOT the same excitement, in fact, downright hostility toward the idea.

So it got me to thinking, we make enough to "afford" a build and pay for it basically in cash over a couple year period, so what is her deal? It struck me, building is my big goal in life, what's hers? Turns out, she just wants to be settled in a house that we own (renting atm), be debt free (nearly there), and putting money into retirement. Oh well, we can do all that, it will just put off the airplane for a year or so but will make her happy and feel secure.

So, I told her, I will give up flying 15 hours a month and go with 1-2 a month and only with her. I will also give up the NFL Package that she despises. We will save like mad, pay off the debts, and fill our Roth IRA's, she will also be in a house by October. She feels taken care of, and she is actually getting excited about the build !!!!!!!!!

Take care of your wife, and she will hopefully be supportive and happy!

Good luck :)

Show her all the replies....

Take all of the replies in this forum, package them up really neatly along with as many "couples w/rv" pictures you can find, bind them up in a really cool binder and let her read the responses herself. Best to share reality, rather than convince anyone. They need to come to the conclusion on their own.

...Speaking of my wonderful wife, she is not yet convinced that we "need" to build/buy an airplane. Imagine that. She is an accountant by trade and cannot seem to get over the "astronomical" price of building a plane. I think that she likes the "idea" of owning a plane that is capable of XC travel (we've got family all over the country) but doesn't like the idea of paying for it. -Chase

My wife is an accountant, too. This may actually be to your advantage, since big picture accounting types will probably more easily see the long term accounting benefits of aircraft ownership and enjoy the benefits of an airplanes utility regardless of the short term loss to the balance sheet. The key to the equation is the ultimate goal of using the plane for repeated aerial travel adventure, absolutely no slouching when it comes to this...

re: 150 vs. RV

Bring her down to Twin Lakes. I'll take one of you up in the 150, my brother will take the other up in his RV9A.:D Then we'll swap out & go again. We do some loose, in flight, "togetherness" to show the speed variances. Mitchell & I fly together all the time. Please don't bite my head off over the formation garbage. My wife will be more than happy to come out to the hanger & visit with yours.
I've owned a 150 for 5 1/2 years now & my wife has yet to even sit in it, let alone fly in it, she says it's too slow & worth it. She really doesn't care for flying, but knows it really is the best way to get some where in atimely manner. But, she's the one that was so pushy to get me to put up the deposit on the -10 at OSH. She is readily willing to help me any time I need a hand with something, as are the daughters (ages 18 & 13). The 18 yr. old is working on her PPL in the 150 as well as going to college (hs. science/physics ed.).
My wife & I support each others hobbies-habits? She scrapbooks & I fly. Things are working great for us, we "visit" with each other regularly. I think some people tend to "talk too much":rolleyes: or get too wrapped up in each others business.
Anyway, bring her down to Twin Lakes so we can show & tell.:D

Marshall Alexander

I caught the bug to build an RV and broke the news to my wife. We each have a monthly discretionary budget and she has no interest in paying for it, so it's coming out of my fund. I reminded her that if/when I sell the plane that money is also mine ;) Unfortunately that means it will either take me 10 years to pay for and build it, or I'll have to get a loan for half the money and cut the time in half.

It will happen though :) Anyone know of a good source for a loan?

It's your project, not hers

I try to remember always that this is my passion, not my wife's. All I can reasonably expect from her is tolerance. This may change when I start taking the girls (one at a time, it's an RV-7) on little day trips and weekend adventures. Our oldest daughter can't walk...but she'll go farther on the average weekend than all her classmates put together!

But I do remind my beloved occasionally (i.e. when big credit card bills arrive!) of the some of the benefits:

- I don't have time or money for any, um, activities that she might disapprove of.

- She always knows where I am: either at work, or in my shop.

- This beats, hands down, all the other stupid things husbands spend their time and money on (you and your wife are free to choose what those are!)

I try to remember always that this is my passion, not my wife's. All I can reasonably expect from her is tolerance. This may change when I start taking the girls (one at a time, it's an RV-7) on little day trips and weekend adventures. Our oldest daughter can't walk...but she'll go farther on the average weekend than all her classmates put together!

That's great! I have three kids (6,6,12), and I have taken them flying. They range from enjoy it to love it. Right now I'm taking advantage of the fact that I can fit the whole family in a PA-28... at least until the kids grow a bit more.

I was trying to decide between an RV-10 and an RV-7. By the time I get the plane built, the oldest would be almost ready for college. So a 4-seat plane would work for the family. But the RV-10 costs quite a bit more than the -7. So I guess we'll rent when it's time to take a family trip (if I can find a 6-seater once the kids get older). In the meantime I'll treat them, one at a time, in the -7, or we can leave the kids with granparents and the wife & I can go cruising in the -7. She doesn't mind flying too much, it's just the expense of building & owning a plane she isn't crazy about.

BTW Mike, she has plans for her funds and wouldn't be too crazy about putting them off for several years.

Have her watch "first flight videos" with you. Let you eyes water up a bit. Tell her you think building an airplane would be an accomplishment to be proud of. You gotta appeal to her emotions. After all, accountant or not, she is a woman.

I didn't see kids mentioned

I noticed you do not list kids as one of your activities. If you are without children the obvious answer is to give her an ultimatum...the RV or the marriage. As someone who has been married for over twenty five years you can rest assured the RV will give you a lot more long term satisfaction, will always be ready for action when you are, will probabbly cost you less money in the long term and will only get better looking over time. Most pilots will agree that flying is better than any marital activity anyway.

I noticed you do not list kids as one of your activities. If you are without children the obvious answer is to give her an ultimatum...the RV or the marriage. As someone who has been married for over twenty five years you can rest assured the RV will give you a lot more long term satisfaction, will always be ready for action when you are, will probabbly cost you less money in the long term and will only get better looking over time. Most pilots will agree that flying is better than any marital activity anyway.

If I value my life, this will not be the approach that I take.

.........................................Cost of any production plane that matches the RV in perf.

What??? There arn't any. Seriously. What plane can fly as fast from as short a field with the range and minimal fuel burn. There is no available certified plane at any price I know of that would be a match for an RV. I don't think the Pits is as fast in cruise yet burns more with even less cabin space for IFR or real x-c. Extra burns a lot more gas. Can't think of anything else??

Am I missing a plane?? I am just Blown away by the "Total Performance" balance Van has achieved. I know I'm preaching to the Vatican on this one but what could you replace an RV with if you could only go certified (banish the thought:eek:).

And back on topic, probably been said but to the accountant in her explane that you're not spending money, you're just parking it in a plane for awhile. If you build right and careful you should be able to get all your money back if you need to sell in the future. Compare it to a house financially, not a car. You'll have operating costs and maybe interest on a loan if you go that way but the plane itself doesn't cost much if anything. The operating costs are not insignificant but are better than renting if you fly much at all.

My wife and I joke around with each other a lot, sometimes to the point that other people wonder about us.

When my tail kit arrived, she wasn't real pleased, but I had talked about it for long enough that she couldn't say it was unexpected. She started rattling off on me pretty good, and I stopped her by saying "I told you on our second date that I would own an airplane one day, and you said that's fine. I meant it then and I mean it now. The airplane stays, and I hope you do too."

Discussion was over, the airplane (kit) is still here, and she is too.

Back