What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door/Canopy Edge Profile

raabs

Well Known Member
I?m finishing up the McMaster seals and my next step will be creating the door edge/canopy profile and final gapping.

What are most folks doing on the door edge / canopy profile currently? I searched and read the limited posts but they are a few years old and not a lot there.

Van?s 45 setup doesn?t seem to be desirable. Square edges with slight rounding seems better.

What have you done that you love, fit and look?

Mark, Thank you! Your doors look great. You just left the door edges square? Maybe a little easing of the sharp edge?

Thx,
Rob

Gaps

Squared edge with rounded corners here too. I used a multi tool with a flat blade wrapped with 80grit to gap the doors to the frame. Worked great and was very fast. Just change the paper often.

Please forgive the thread drift, and I'm not building a -10, so I'm not that familiar -- but -- are the door hinges mounted on the exterior surface as shown in your pictures when everything is complete? I thought the door hinges would be recessed in pockets so they were more flush to the outside.

In a stock installation, the hinge halves which mount to the doors are mounted to the inside surface of the doors - only the screw heads are visible from the outside. The hinge halves that attach to the cabin top are external, but they are recessed and flush with the cabin top.

Please forgive the thread drift, and I'm not building a -10, so I'm not that familiar -- but -- are the door hinges mounted on the exterior surface as shown in your pictures when everything is complete? I thought the door hinges would be recessed in pockets so they were more flush to the outside.

You are correct. On my build I decided to use an aftermarket product from Airward. The hinges are a known weak spot in the design of the doors. Airward provides machined reinforcement plates (although they protrude slightly) they make the door attachment solid

Back