What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A Slider theft lock

Planecrazy232

Well Known Member
I know whoever wants to steal something will get it no matter what, but what is the easiest and cleanest way to lock the slider if parked outside while visiting someplace?

Sort of like a covertable, just leave it unlocked. If they want it and it is locked you will be making a new canopy in addition to having suffered stolen avionics.
Just my $.02 worth.
Phelps

Sort of like a covertable, just leave it unlocked. If they want it and it is locked you will be making a new canopy in addition to having suffered stolen avionics.
Just my $.02 worth.
Phelps

First post nails it. I figure a canopy cover is more discouraging to a would-be thief since they don't want what they cannot see and it won't result in a broken canopy.

But that doesn't answer your question. I've seen a lock that simply goes into the rear slider track on top of the fuselage that would prevent the canopy from opening. That seemed simple, elegant, and rather difficult to defeat without breaking the canopy.

just a thought

many use the ignition key into a 90 degreee camlock from the canopy skirt, into the side rail. It keeps the honest people our anyway!:rolleyes:
One nice option, if you leave the dog long enough, once unlocked, you can pull the canopy back about 4", then swing the lock dog down again, and it will catch the UHMW block, so the canopy is open for ventilation on a hot ramp, or at a fly-in, but it won't slide further aft. ( sorry, no pic handy)
The camlock on the very rear of the track is a better deterrent, to be sure.
I think the canopy cover is almost as good...too much hassle to remove and mess with to even look inside to see if there is anything worth stealing.

how about the old 'bait' decoy?
leave a broken headset or iPad case laying on the wing, and the opportunist will make off with it, thinking they've hit the motherlode! :D

I know whoever wants to steal something will get it no matter what, but what is the easiest and cleanest way to lock the slider if parked outside while visiting someplace?

I've made a lock of sorts as follows

1) Drill 3/16" hole into center slider track just at rear of canopy skirt
2) Buy a 3/16" dia "Pip Pin" with a fold over lug above the release button (difficult to describe - but you'll find them if you look around on ebay)
3) Drill a hole in the end of the fold over lug
4) Make a tube that fits over the top of the exposed part of the inserted pip pin and cut to a matching length Cross drill a hole to match the one in "3"

Fit the pin into the slider track, put the fold over lug upright, slide the tube over the top and fit a combination padlock through the aligned holes. You cant release the pin to get it out because the tube is over the top of it

Pro's
Neat, Lightweight (not part of airframe so only carried when needed), cheap (mine cost less than £20), No significant airframe mods (just one small hole - could fit a screw in it if the idea is later abandoned). Can use combination or key padlock depending on requirements.

Cons
Not the most secure of locking devices - but enough to deter a casual "sneak" thief. Probably would not break canopy if forced. You need to find the right type of pin (got mine on ebay). hole could leak water in heavy rain. A little work to do.

Last edited:
Some old advice:
It's better to fly home without radios than no radios and a broken canopy.

Pittsartist - thank you for chiming in here. What you've described sounds very much like what I'm looking for as a lock the baggage door on my aircraft.

If it's not too much to ask, would you be able to post here a photo or two of your "pip pin" solution, or send via email, please, and thank you?!?

email = cgjoy (at) yahoo.ca (note it's .ca, not .com - most of us are spring-loaded to type .com!)

I've never heard the term "pip pin"; Google "quick release pin" and you'll find a bunch of possibilities.

A very ingenious solution, BTW.

As an update to previous posts, I've found a manufacturer not far from Oshkosh that's just introducing a pip pin with an integrated key lock. This might be the ticket for my application. I'll share more info when I get it from the manufacturer.

I'm trying to visualize what's meant by a "fold over lug" on the pip pin.

The one linked here is as close as I've come to matching that description. Am I on the right track? If not, what am I missing?
http://www.jergensinc.com/Kwik-lok-Lifting-Pins_3

This is much the same idea. The one I have has a rectangular steel folding section rather than a lifting ring like the one you found. On mine It's not there for lifting - more for leverage to rotate the pin to help with removing it.

I think yours would work if the width of the folding section were narrower.

I will take some photos when I'm next at the airfield (I've been looking and cannot find another like it - it's too far back in my ebay history to see the photos)

I'm really frustrated I cannot find a photo of the exact Pip Pin I used.

Anyway, here's an Idea for an alternative.

Basically use a "T" handle type that is widely available and make a locking cover to go over the release button from an alloy "U" extrusion or possibly by riveting 2 90 degree angles together. Hopefully the idea is easy to see from the quick sketch.

dateposted-public

IMG_2046 by WIGY TV, on Flickr

A picture is worth a thousand words. THANK YOU for taking the time to find and post those photos. I now understand fully the textual explanation you had provided earlier.

As others have mentioned... Small, light, unobtrusive. What's not to like about your lock solution!?!?!

Again, thanks for posting the photos - much appreciated.

Back