What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

nosegear castoring is 'sticky'

prkaye

Well Known Member
The castoring of my nosegear has become a bit sticky - doesn't castor smoothly. This makes steering a bit awkward. Is this likely a matter of lubrication? Should I just squirt some LPS around where the fork pivots on the gearleg? Or should the fork come off for cleaning the pivot area?

just went through that with the tail wheel swivel on my T18...
It was a beee--yatch to turn right the past few (OK 8) years and I thought it was a weak brake on the starboard side.
Turned out to be old grease in the tail-wheel swivel and it took a stupid amount of force to get it to break out to the right...

ten minutes of work, some cleaning and new grease in the assembly and its turning right like a pro...

Its worth the time and effort..

and NO I hadn't cleaned the swivel in all those years...I now know better

Yes, take it off!

It needs to come off, cleaned, greased and brake out torque reset (22 pounds). I have a cart with a box of concrete that I ratchet my tail down with. then remove the nose fork.

Last edited:
Grease fitting?

My fork has a grease fitting --- I shoot a couple of shots in there, periodically. I have not had any issue.

R.

The nose fork on A models is something that requires regular maint (the reason there is a grease zerk ya suppose :rolleyes:)

I recommend it be disassembled, cleaned, and re-greased at each condition inspection, and then shot with some grease through the zerk a couple of other times through the year. We use water proof boat trailer bearing grease (blue) which seems to work well for the nose fork as well as on tail wheel assemblies.

The nose fork on A models is something that requires regular maint (the reason there is a grease zerk ya suppose :rolleyes:)

I recommend it be disassembled, cleaned, and re-greased at each condition inspection, and then shot with some grease through the zerk a couple of other times through the year. We use water proof boat trailer bearing grease (blue) which seems to work well for the nose fork as well as on tail wheel assemblies.

I have used this grease (sta-lube blue boat trailer bearing grease from Napa autoparts) for over 30 years in all of my airplane wheel bearings with great success. When you touch it you will understand.

I believe we used aeroshell #22 synthetic grease. Can't tell you exactly because it is in the grease gun.

Btw the way we do it is have one guy on the gun and another on the tow bar rotating the nose wheel,

+1 on dissasemble, clean, check wheel bearing/bolts/flange (replace if SB) and reassemble, regrease and torque according to spec.

Back