What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need to lower oil pressure

RV9A Bill

Well Known Member
I have searched for this unsuccessfully. Oil pressure is high on my ECI io360. About 100 hours. In the yellow at cruise, sometimes red. Checked my Dynon D120 with a mechanical gauge. No washers in oil pressure regulator. ECI AEL 61084 part number on spring. They only have a stronger spring. I called aircraft specialties and they have other springs, but do not know which are shorter/less strong. Do you know a part number for a spring to reduce oil pressure, or a source of help?
RV9A Bill

What are the actual numbers (PSI in cruise)? "Yellow" and "Red" can be easily modified. It's the numbers that count.

Could be a suspect oil pressure sender. We had experienced sporatic high oil pressures until we replace our sender with the new style unit from Dynon.
Kevin

Just switching our sender for the same reason.

Showing 100 plus on start up, put a mechanical gauge onto the manifold - the sender was reading 15psi high.

That was a VDO sender.

The snag with swapping to a Kavlico is you need a power supply.

Oil Pressure

Move your oil pressure pickup point to the front of the right oil gallery, near the front of the crankcase. Your "problem" will go away.

Gage it.

We have hit this wall many times over the years, with many different engines of all types. It may help to say that the first thing we do is screw a good Bordon gage in the block or service port. The electric senders have a long history of miss readings and out of calibration readings. A good gage on a peace of flex hose with a few adapters is a way of checking what you really have to work with. In the high end work we would have the gage calibrated every year to be sure and meat the requirements. Hope this helps. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Back