What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do with used fleece

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Surely there must be some use for these things once I've used up all the space on polishing with the cyclo.

Washing seems out b/c of all the black it leaves behind (even the washer doesn't get all the polish out and then it rubs off in the dryer).

polish_rags.jpg

Somewhere in the Cyclo manual (or maybe on the website) they caution you not to put them through the wash, lest you incur the wrath of your SO when they try to run their delicates through after your polishing cloths... They suggest having a *second* washer and dryer just for polishing, if you want to wash them. :p

Trash

Not worth it. Can't use them for anything or the black will transfer. I'll bet there lots of future polishing material available at Goodwill anyway.

If they are valuable (not old t-shirts) they can be sent to the dry cleaners. I take my buffing pads there every so often. They come back looking like new. I have done some 4 times. They do wear out, but will be clean.

With the price of cleaning these days, it may not be economical, I have not done this is years.

DRY CLEAN - not laundromat. Good ole carbon tetrachloride.

Last edited:
Somewhere in the Cyclo manual (or maybe on the website) they caution you not to put them through the wash, lest you incur the wrath of your SO when they try to run their delicates through after your polishing cloths... They suggest having a *second* washer and dryer just for polishing, if you want to wash them. :p

Ha! You can order a lot of extra fleece blankets for the cost of having a second washer/dryer .

I use that for the underside of things. It does a good job. Nowhere near as good as compounding, and don't even think about using it wthout the green juice. I just ordered another supply

But, yes, it's pretty good stuff.

Let Me Get This Straight...

You don't want to use the washing machine at home, but you're good with taking something laden with fine grinding powder and aluminum oxide and putting it thru a Laundromat or dry cleaner. Better some stranger might have to deal with the stuff finding its way into their clothes because they can't afford a washer? On the other hand, I could probably save a lot of money by cleaning my hazmat suits at the Laundromat rather than disposing of them.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Bob-
My absolutely wonderful wife takes our fleece towels to the laundry mat and runs them through twice there, she then brings them home and runs them through once in our washer/dryer. They exit this process not quite as soft, but almost perfectly clean. I polish one area of the bird every week and tend to cycle the older fleeces for use on the underside. Needless to say, I give Tom at Perfect Polish a lot of business. Not sure what your process is but this one works well for me and yields the best results. Ciao!
-Timothy

You don't want to use the washing machine at home, but you're good with taking something laden with fine grinding powder and aluminum oxide and putting it thru a Laundromat or dry cleaner. Better some stranger might have to deal with the stuff finding its way into their clothes because they can't afford a washer? On the other hand, I could probably save a lot of money by cleaning my hazmat suits at the Laundromat rather than disposing of them.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

+1. You can get an old washer off Craigslist for $100. I wash my fleeces once and use them to buff courser grades of Nuvite, and reserve new fleeces for the final S buff. The price you pay for shiny goodness!

Back