What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 side tilt option

I intend to take a good look at a side-hinged canopy on my -8 when I get to the advanced fuse build stage. From my limited research so far, I'd say the Showplanes fastback kit is where to start (and finish - if you're not up for some creative fun!)

Showplanes Fastback kit

I am almost thru with the Showplanes installation and am very satisfied.
They have been very helpful and the kit is very professional.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Don, welcome to the force :D

Good to have you here, tell us more about your project, photos??

Enjoy the site.

For those that have done the showplanes fastback, how difficult would it be to get the top of the canopy inline with the turtle deck rather than the slight "bubble" ?

Timely. I'm actually working on my canopy frame for the ShowPlanes modification kit right now! I'm excited with how it's coming along. I can try to answer specific questions, but I usually end up asking DanH ;):)

Joe

PS. Hope you like working with fiberglass vs. aluminum... :eek:

PSS.. Muke, you were close. :D

Last edited:
For those that have done the showplanes fastback, how difficult would it be to get the top of the canopy inline with the turtle deck rather than the slight "bubble" ?

I think you could reduce the angle mismatch at the upper rear by cutting the Plexiglas so it sits lower at the front....the design offers some leeway, as the mounting flange across the front (where you bond the Plexiglas) is shop-made. Obviously lowering the front means less headroom. Personally I like to sit high. I can just barely see over the spinner and have about 3" above my head.

Last edited:
Two other "goodies" that happen with the ShowPlanes conversion are, more shoulder room in the front seat, and easier access to the front side of the instrument panel.

I think you could reduce the angle mismatch at the upper rear by cutting the Plexiglas so it sits lower at the front....the design offers some leeway, as the mounting flange across the front (where you bond the Plexiglas) is shop-made. Obviously lowering the front means less headroom. Personally I like to sit high. I can just barely see over the spinner and have about 3" above my head.

If it were me. I'd raise the turtledeck bulkheads about 3" at the rear seat, get a Rocket canopy from Todd, and cut up/rework a Showplanes canopy frame to make it work. Obviously this would require a new skin, and some extensions to the bulkheads at the longerons. That way you don't lose any headroom. On my Rocket if I were doing one over again I would make the turtledeck a little bit higher to completely get rid of the bump. Its not nearly as pronounced as the Showplanes frame since its designed to make use of the RV-8 canopy. But like Dan I like to sit up high and worked with Todd to get a canopy that was not blunt in the front. To get it to not be blunt, the canopy has to be blown such that the highest point is right behind the pilot's head and the side effect of that is not having a perfectly smooth transition to the turtledeck.

Another advantage to a tip over is the roll bar you install... Getting in and out of the back of an slider -8 is a pain in the rear. Having that roll bar for the passenger to hold on to is a huge plus!

Back