What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Almost-done RV-7A project

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
IMG_2326.jpg

Two of my family members have some significant health issues. My wife's health has been declining for some time and my son is still battling some serious health issues and is likely soon to lose insurance coverage. He'll be moving back home after being on his own for 10 years and I'll be needing to pick up 100% of his health costs, which are likely to run in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Finishing the RV-7A, unfortunately, no longer makes financial sense when I'm literally trying to keep people alive.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't know how to value the project or sell a partially-built airplane. I know I won't be able to recover anywhere near what I put into it, but with all-new components, I'm sure it has significant value.

The plane is at South St. Paul airport in Minnesota. Its construction has been well documented at my blog, where I've put a for-sale notice if you'd like some more information.

Keep going.

Bob, I'm in no position to buy your project, or to help in any other way that will matter, but I offer my heartfelt sorrow that you've come to make what must have been one of your hardest decisions ever. I've read your various articles, essays, and posts since I first arrived around here, and I've enjoyed your unique perspective on building. I commend you in the deepest way for putting your family members' needs ahead of your own. That takes real love, courage, and wisdom. When I've faced my own battles recently, I've taken counsel from words apparently offered by Churchill: "When you're going through H-E-L-L, keep going."

If you can will yourself to survive this, I am confident you will build again someday. Best wishes, Bob.

--Stephen

Last edited:
Dang Bob, sorry to hear it. Family first always. Best of luck to you and yours through the trying time.

I truly wish there was a way for me to help you finish and then sell a completed RV. Maybe RVCentral or someone like that could finish up on a contingency basis.

Jeez!

Bob,

Really sorry to hear it like everyone else has said.

Best wishes that both have positive outcomes and speedy returns to health.

Insurance for your son

Bob. Sorry to hear what you are going through.
A friend of mine sells med. Insurance. He told me that
the state of rhode island has laws in effect that will insure
pre- existing med. Conditions. And the applicant can not be denied under
these laws. Call me if you want to chat. 401-862-5577. Al

Bob, I'm very sorry to hear of your family's heath issues. Makes me sad that you won't get to fly that which you've spent so much time building. But I rejoice that you keep family first. You are a good man.

I talked to my buddy Bob on the phone for quite awhile today. I am hoping he gets through this crisis and does not have to sell. He is so close to flying, and it sounds like he has all the parts to complete his project, so his money output in the future is minimal, limited to hangar rent and insurance. I understand there is a large RV wing in MN, maybe those fortunate enough to be already flying in the area could pitch in and lend a hand. Bob has done a lot for RV folks over the years, myself included. I am hoping the RV community can now help a friend in need. Glenn

......... maybe those fortunate enough to be already flying in the area could pitch in and lend a hand. Bob has done a lot for RV folks over the years, myself included. I am hoping the RV community can now help a friend in need........

I'll second the motion. VAF'rs have help others....Time to pony up again. I'm ready to donate a few $'s to the cause if need be.

If it were closer I bring it here and finish it for him.

Terribly sorry to hear about your family health issues. I wish I was in a situation to be able to help but my best wishes and thoughts are with your family.

regards

Wow Bob, I'm very sorry to hear this. I've been following your blog as long as I've been in this whole game. Your videos are awesome, my favorite being the one about how to get a wrench on those darn exhaust nuts. :D

Family is definately first but I hope there is some way you can finish it and at least fly it before you're forced to sell it. You deserve that. Then later when the plane is long gone and you're sitting outside in a lawn chair looking at the sky, people will wonder "what the heck is that guy smiling about?".

Best of luck!

any chance

Bob---any chance of taking a break, and maybe finishing at a later date? With all of the help out there, is that a option to you selling?
If I can help----let me know.
Tom

Tom: Not really. We're really looking at an entirely different life in our "retirement years" than we thought we were going to have. We're taking on a new burden with a special needs kid returning home, and we'll be picking up all med expenses out of pocket.

Carolie was diagnosed with MS last month, on top of an auto-immune disease she already had. The end of her ability to work if not exactly in sight, is at least on the horizon. Last year we ripped through the $3,500 we set aside in the FLEX plan for paying med co-pays and uninsured expenses by March and this year we'll do it earlier (between the two of us, we've got 3 MRI bills in January) and soon the gov will cap that at $2,500.

We're not destitute, not by a long shot. But we've got to recognize the lifestyle we thought we'd have when I started this 10 years ago, is a dream that reality can't accommodate.

I've still got $32,000 on the home equity loan I'd like to pay down in anticipation of leaner times, the builders insurance is going up to $650, the city is broke and will likely be adding to the hangar rent and, yesterday Congress unveiled the zeroing out of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. I recognize that's fine with a lot of people and it may even be fine with me, but that's a good indication of the future of my job and I have to accept that reality too.

But, yeah, I'd like to have finished this thing and sell it as a flying machine and that's been the goal for the last couple of years but life has been gaining on us during that time and it's caught us.

That's not the way I want it to be, but it's the way it is.

But, yeah, I'd like to have finished this thing and sell it as a flying machine and that's been the goal for the last couple of years but life has been gaining on us during that time and it's caught us.

That's not the way I want it to be, but it's the way it is.

Bob, like so many others here, I feel for you, and wish you the best. Tis a good and noble thing you are doing for your family.

That said, there appears to be a large price delta between an "close to being finished project", and a "test period flown off" aircraft.

If I were closer, I would be happy to contribute time to help you get the bird finished, and flown off.

In an earlier post Glenn proposed the VAF community come together to help you-------getting the plane finished may be the best help we as a group can give you.

I can remember standing on the back of the pickup truck a few years ago with Darwin at Oshkosh and yelling to you all that you needed to come to South St. Paul and do my electrical system and engine.

I couldn't wait any longer. :D

They say that:

"No good deed goes unpunished" and Sir you have a large bank account full of good deeds. If there's anything Linda and I can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. Sure wish I was closer :(. We could have it flying in short order.

Our thoughts are with you and yours.

Bob, if I was in Minnesota, I'd be at your hangar door with tools in hand to help you get it finished - as others have said, and you well know, it will sell for much more as a finished plane than as a project. I hope that maybe those who are closer can give you a hand - otherwise, hang on until Oshkosh, trailer it to Camp Scholler, and I bet "the gang" could have it ready to fly out at the end of the week.

Think outside of the box....

Bob,.......otherwise, hang on until Oshkosh, trailer it to Camp Scholler, and I bet "the gang" could have it ready to fly out at the end of the week.

I'll be there Sunday -Friday and will donate 20+hrs of labor. Who else is in?

Bob, if I was in Minnesota, I'd be at your hangar door with tools in hand to help you get it finished - as others have said, and you well know, it will sell for much more as a finished plane than as a project. I hope that maybe those who are closer can give you a hand - otherwise, hang on until Oshkosh, trailer it to Camp Scholler, and I bet "the gang" could have it ready to fly out at the end of the week.

O.K., now this is going somewhere-----pending Bobs buy in of course.

Best would be if someone in the area has a hangar, or other workspace that could be used, instead of Camp Scholler, IMHO.

I am in for a day of work----at least a day, more possible.

Bob, ball is back in your court :D

So sorry to hear.....looking forward to your response, but the RV building experience in this group numbers in the millions of hours and I am quite certain that the bodies and bucks could certainly be brought together to make this happen at OSH. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your fine family. You have my utmost respect for your decision, but let's see what can be done on the RV side as well. I'm in if it will help Bob.

So sorry

to read about your troubles. It's a shame to see someone get so close and have to let it go. I'm relatively new to the forum, but you are obviously well thought of here. Have you thought about selling a share or 2 or 3 as an option?

Best of luck with everything,

Tom

I'm nearby and happy to help. Unfortunately my only experience is rivets.

I agree with the others. Seems like the return on 100 hours invested to complete would be well worth the effort.

Git-er-done

Bob, I admire the way you prioritize and am hoping for the best for you and your family.

I?m thinking someone in the local St Paul EAA chapter just needs to step forward and help ?ring lead? getting your plane finished. Of course, we would need a hangar (heated ? hopefully), a list of names and dates and a work schedule. I?m good for a weeks worth and a few bucks. I?m betting there are a lot of experienced folks out there that would love a vacation up North.

"If you (need it) built, they will come!"

Bob,

I'm in to help as well, but since I'm so far away (Seattle), I would like to suggest that you post some $$$ ticket items that could assist the quick-build effort. For example, if you need harnesses made up by Stein, I would be happy to contribute $$$ to the cause and have a harness made and delivered. Is your panel blank already complete? I'm sure someone would pay for the CAD work and laser cut panel. Do you need engine control cables? Name the length and the end connections - we'll take care of getting them to you. Eyeball firewall passthru? Cabin Heat box? Carb Heat Box? Pitot Tube? Strobes? Nav Lights? Landing Lights? Antennas? Interior Seats/boots/carpet?

What about manpower? Are you in need of riveting experience? Fiberglass work? Wiring guru? Plexiglass/Canopy? Sikaflex?

We really want to help you! You've done great things for all of the RV community! I think that your POG will be the standard that will be hard to match in the future, and your blogs and honest commentary has always been appreciated.

Even if you only get to fly off the hours before letting your bird go, you'll come out ahead in the game!

Please post a list. Make it detailed enough that we can take ownership of an item, get it ordered, and shipped out to you.

Please post a description of manpower needs. "If you (need it) built, they will come!"

We're all pulling for you, Bob!

All of that is done so need for wiring harnesses ('cept for the switch to mag and lightspeed wiring). Fiberglass work is mostly done 'cept for wing tips and oil door on Cowling (and pinhole work).wheel pants, leg and emp fairing.

Panel is done (tho the ELT is going to need a new battery). Cables are in, cept for FAB door cable (FAB is not installed but purchased and cutout for moving it to the right (it's vertical draft) is done but not fitted. I haven't wired anything from the panel to the mag/Lightspeed or alternator yet although I may be able to get the contactor-to-alt wiring done this weekend.

Canopy was completed a couple of years ago, including spiffy fairing work.

Really, it's a matter of finishing plumbing the engine (the line from the fuel servo to the flow divider isn't made yet), final electrical, and mounting the prop (I installed the prop extension to do the cowling; I guess I have to get that off to install on the prop and then remount. Not sure how hard that is.

Baffles. I've just started on that. Someone told me last week that took 70 hours of work. Yikes.

That's really about it. Being in an unheated hangar and this being the kind of winter it's been, I haven't been able to work much on it. I was hoping to have engine start in the spring and fly in fall or next spring, so I suspect that someone who has a little more ability than me could be flying this summer.

Trucking to Oshkosh? You know, i can't imagine what an utter pain in the neck it would be to try to get those close tolerance bolts off the wings to get them off (I'm dreading that anyway) and the cost of getting it over there.

Can't I just leave the keys to the hangar under the mat? :D

Last edited:
As Bob mentioned, he's in an unheated hangar (uninsulated city tee hangar) and this time of year in MN makes such a bit miserable. Something that I'd suggest would make the process go much quicker/easier would be a warm working space.

There is space in a heated hangar one row behind Bob's current location, and I *think* the asking monthly rent is $200. I know the owner and would be happy to talk to him to confirm. I've seen Bob's project a number of times and it is close - if as much help as has been offered was given, I can't imagine it would take more than 2-3 months to get flying.

Food for thought.

Pete Howell has suggested moving it up to his hangar at KANE and finishing it. Of course, the danger in that is that while I'd get more back for a completed plane, I'd fly it and then not want to sell it, even though common sense and the budget spreadsheet says it must be.

I want to be 10 again.

Pete Howell has suggested moving it up to his hangar at KANE and finishing it. Of course, the danger in that is that while I'd get more back for a completed plane, I'd fly it and then not want to sell it, even though common sense and the budget spreadsheet says it must be.

I want to be 10 again.

Bob,

I do not know you as well as many guys here but we have spoken a time or two at the OSH gatherings. You come across as a very giving guy - its time you give yourself a break.

The best way to be a 10 again is to fly that airplane. There are builders in the Twin Cities area who will help you finish it. Let these fellows help you complete the dream, that's what EAA is all about. Fly the airplane and then make a decision about selling it.

Yes, you then may well decide "I can't live without it". So be it. Things have a way of working out. Completing and flying the airplane in terms of personal satisfaction is priceless in more ways than one. That feat will never be the cause of depression, others things may be but not that effort.

I have found over the years that just getting into and flying a machine you built is a sure fire elixir. It beats just about anything to settle a restless soul.

(For those wondering what an elixir is, it's a substance held capable of prolonging life indefinitely....)

And it does not have to come in a bottle, a homebuilt airplane will do nicely.:)

There is space in a heated hangar one row behind Bob's current location, and I *think* the asking monthly rent is $200. I know the owner and would be happy to talk to him to confirm. I've seen Bob's project a number of times and it is close - if as much help as has been offered was given, I can't imagine it would take more than 2-3 months to get flying.

Food for thought.

ChiefPilot, if there's hangar space available nearby that would make working on the airplane feasible, I'll go on record right now as being willing to contribute toward the cost of renting it for Bob. Would that help? Anybody else?
I don't know you Bob, but if you're with public radio you're alright by me!

Just decide to "Build it, and they will come."

Bob, have faith, hang in there. We all need a "good news story". Something you will write about later. Romans 8:28

I'm in western Canada but would still like to find a way to help. Bob and I started our RV7A's right around the same time. His is much closer to flying than mine is. I still have some major purchases to go (engine, prop). I'm also on the pay-as-I go plan, so money is tight for the next year or so. However, I still want to encourage this team effort, and contribute what I can.

Bevan
RV7A wiring the panel in an insulated, heated, 30X60 shop with lots of power, air, phone, fridge, radio, washroom... and RV parts!

ps Did Bob actually build all that in an unheated hangar???:eek:

We're here to help... Elixir in hand!

Put me down for one month rent. Advise by PM.

While I've never met you Bob, I've been a member of VAF long enough to know that you've made significant contributions to our community and never asked for anything in return. I also understand that you are not asking now. If you will allow us, your VAF family would like to give back a small portion of what you have so freely given to us. BTW: your videos are a hoot, and while I understand that you made most of them during times of severe frustration, they also provided me a great deal of entertainment value... way more than one month hangar rent! May God Bless you and your family.

Personal regards,

Last edited:
just a thought

The guys at the Home Builders Hangar at Osh are looking for attractions to populate their hangar during Airventure. Maybe a community build would fit the bill.

If a supervisor/coordinator was there to know what Bob wanted, a group of volunteer workers could probably get er done in the airventure 8 day window - Lights camera action, three shifts per day.

Hmmm

with all the vendors there, parts/tool availability would not be an issue.

If Bob really needs to sell to raise cash, an auction or raffle might be the ticket. Pretty good place to sell raffle tickets to aircraft enthusiasts.

there are possibilities.

Last edited:
I'm not able to get to VAF as often as I did so apologies for not updating. A couple of things: I'm not selling so much to raise cash as much as anticipating significant future expenses, which will have to come from the money I'd budgeted for finishing and flying. I do have some home equity debt to pay down (engine). So, again, I'm not destitute. In this economy, I'm much luckier than most. We are not without hope. Things could still change. At the moment it's hard to know what the right thing to do is.

Folks have pretty well convinced me that finishing it and selling it makes more sense than selling an uncompleted project.

At my current rate of work -- it's very hard for me to focus when people in the family are suffering -- I don't think that's feasible.

Pete Howell has offered to move the project up to their hangar in Anoka and the RV gang up there would finish it or get it moving toward completion. Feasible? Not sure. I really hate the idea of cutting a perfectly fine SteinAir wiring harness (TruTrak) and removing those wings.

But they're going to stop by Saturday and evaluate things and try to come up with a "to do" list . Am I 100 hours away? 200 hours away? 10 hours away? I don't really know. The next step, I guess, is figuring that out.

All of the components I need for finishing (at least the major ones, as near as I can tell) I've already bought (they're around this hangar ... somewhere. ;)). Maybe all I need is combo RV-fly-in/"barn raising" at South St. Paul. Who knows?

Thank you for all the kind notes.

Oh, and yeah, I built this thing in an unheated hangar. Part of the experimental category is recreation and education and I learned the amazing powers of a small kerosene heater, battery-powered socks, a rabbit fur-lined Mad Bomber hat, and flannel-lined jeans.

Last edited:
I don't wish to put a dampener on all the good words and offers of help for Bob but having viewed his video it appears to me that there is more than 100 hours of work to do to complete the aircraft.

I think that pretty much anyone who has finished an RV already knew that from looking, but the folks up there in Minnesota who are most likely to be able to help Bob directly are in that category, and I am sure will make their judgments based on their own experience. Glad to hear that Pete, et. al. can at least help you come up with a path through the woods (or at least a trail through the snow...) Bob!

50, 100 or 400hrs. Doesn't really matter if you don't keep track. The goal is to give back a little and help Bob get his dream flying, while he has the means to enjoy it for a bit.

Bob or Pete, Let me know if there is some way for me to help remotely.

Bob, cutting the wing servo wiring is a non event.

I installed a D-sub 9 pin connector on the fuse and the matching half on the pigtail sticking out of the wing.

Sorry, dont have a photo, but really no big deal.

Bob's big finish!!

If Bob is willing to accept the help and look at the options I propose the following...

It sounds like the folks up there can get the plane to the flying stage or OSH may be a possibility too.

Moving it with wings on is not easy but we may be able to move it with them on like they move houses, at night with special permission and volunteers.

No cutting required.

Bob has done so much, like the Piece of Grass RV BBQ's, that I get the impression I am not the only one that wants to help our friend finish.

Having had to deal with health issues and selling my plane this year I know where Bob's heart and mind probably are.

If we can work together to solve his problem so HE can keep his plane or at least finish it, I can't think of a better, more deserving person right now.

One day at a time though, that's how I am having to do it and of course it's just a proposal that needs Bob's permission.

I would be willing to do whatever I can to help.

For example I think a great fundraising opportunity might be to bring back the BBQ> BUT not have Bob run it, It would be DEDICATED TO HIM and a fundraising could be tied to for him.

I would volunteer to rent a motorhome or camper and rent the spaces we need to set it up. I'm sure folks like my buddy Chad would help if he can and Jeff And Darwn and others I think we could help take the load off a little.

Any ideas guys? What do you think and most of all, Bob are you OK with this?

Hi Bob,
I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles, and I wish you all the very best in the future.
Best Regards,
brian

100 hours? 200 hours?

I don't know. That's one of the reasons I'm asking "the best and the brightest" to take a look.

I don't really think the "everybody pitch in" option is a viable one for a couple of reasons. One is I'm already hearing that this is a ploy just to get the thing finish. Two, organizing those things takes a lot of work and energy that could just as easily be spent on building.

The best thing anyone can do? Make an offer! :D

How bout someone (who has more cash than I) buy it from Bob, hire Bob to finish it at his leisure (what better stress reliever given his circumstances), then give him the option of buying it back on a payment schedule, if he so chooses? That way he has the funds he may need for the short term, he gets to finish his creation, then the option of purchasing it back if things take a turn for the better. If not, and the finished plane has to sell, possibly the monetary gain from selling a finished bird can partially end up back in his pocket.

Last edited:
Back