What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magenta Line Inop Checklist

TomVal

Well Known Member
Warning! A rant to follow:

Flying Without a Magenta Line

It is a cold and rainy day here in southern California…it is a good day to play “Falcon 4.0 Allied Force” and to reminisce….now to rewind the date tape to 1994.

THE PAST:

First of all, to introduce a little background, I will deviate off the “magenta line”. My son, Jeff, an Air Force ROTC graduate and as a freshly minted private pilot, was one of many newly commissioned 2nd Lt’s that were advised that the awarding of their Air Force commission was not predicated on a slot into pilot training. Their only avenue to a coveted slot was to apply annually through the review board for acceptance.

While serving in the Command Post at Offutt, AFB, NE, at the end of year one, Jeff applied for pilot training and was rejected. At the end of year two, he was rejected again. Year three was significant because of his age, this would be his last opportunity to apply.

Now back to the “magenta line” story line. To build up his spirits, I suggested that he join the base aero-club and that I would finance ten hours of flight time. Several months later during a visit, I suggested that we fire up the aero-club Cherokee 140 and go fly a cross country…by my rules.

We decided to plot out a low level, 500 ft AGL, 200 mile cross country. We mapped out our route on the sectional and annotated the nav legs with heading, course, distance, and time information.

The Cherokee had a single VOR and a Loran. The first thing Jeff did after engine start was to turn on the loran. I asked him why did you turn it on? His next comment was that he had never flown with the loran off. I said, “Good, now turn it and the VOR off!”

Our mission was to fly dead-reckoning to Des Moines, IA and back, however, not in a straight line, but through a series of course changes to and fro. Our task was to fly a calculated heading and time to a planned turn point, to correlate what we see outside the window to our sectional chart, to make course and speed corrections as necessary, and to periodically keep the vacuum driven compass updated.

We had an absolute blast. At the end of the day, both dad and son had a precursor to the big “RV” grin on our faces. The experience also gave my son great confidence in his ability to navigate without the use of magic.

Without the Use of Magic:

If it can happen, and if you are in the business long enough, it will happen. Failures can be due to equipment/system malfunction, manmade interference, or by natural atmospheric conditions. Here are some of my experiences over the years:

• Pre-INS days: During overwater navigation, having the LORAN (position information) or Doppler Radar (ground speed and drift information), break lock.
• Remember sextants??? Due to cloud conditions, unable to take a “cel” shot or sun-line.
• Flying the Berlin Corridor: Having the bad guys jam your ADF or VOR’s in an attempt to pull you out of the corridor.
• Flying a brand new B-757 home from Boeing: Having all glass displays going blank due to overheating. Manufacturing debris was discovered in the avionics cooling system, thus clogging the avionics air filters, thus causing the CRT’s to overheat and shut down.
• Having your GPS lose signal due to proximity to military or research operations (check NOTAMS and study your charts).
• Although not NAV system related, I recently experienced an enroute dual cylinder failure due to a failure of my hi-tech, all electronic, FADEC system.

Our Hi-tech All Electronic Systems:

As I read the VAF website, I am filled will joy and envy as I review the first flight posts of our members. What overwhelms me the most is the stunning array of glass instrumentation now available for our cockpits. My purchased RV-8 has some of the first generation glass technology installed. Every time I see a newly posted cockpit photo, I want to tear out all of my stuff and start anew…and this is exactly what DR’s advertiser’s are hoping that we do!

However, as I look at the photos, I see a cockpit configured with dual Garmin G3Xs, to include a Garmin 430, plus an Apple I-pad on the knee board. It kind of makes you wonder:

• Does anyone still look outside?
• Can we still navigate by looking out the window?
• Can we maintain a heading and course without a magenta line?
• Are we prepared to take over manually when the electronics take a dump?

I will assume answers to the questions above are “Yes”! I can say that with confidence because I know that if you are a VAF forum member, you are a highly disciplined aviator, the best of the best…although in my case, with first generation glass installed, my magenta line tends to move about a bit:eek:!

End of rant…however, just in case, please keep that “Magenta Line Inop Checklist” within arm’s reach.;)

Regards,

P.S. Son was successful in 1998 on the third attempt.

Last edited:
Tom--

GREAT post. This topic is something I literally lose sleep over with regard to some of my RV buds, their training, habits and obsession with their panels.

Happy New Year to you!

Joe

While building time back in college sometimes I'd take a commercial flight out to WA and fly my father inlaw in his 182 to MN and back. He'd ask if I had a route planned, and I'd say, "no, I figured you knew where we were going". His reply was, "Minnesotas east. Sounds like 090 to me". Both of us were instrument rated, but the 10 hour trip was much more enjoyable pointing the nose towards the next spot on the horizon that could be matched to the sectional.

Concur Tom (and Joe), great post!

And I say that as someone with a Gen1 glass panel and a 396 in the RV, and who loves the magenta line of truth and knowledge...both in the RV and on the job! This year I added an Ifly700 so I could stop buying sectionals non-stop and get some airport diagrams. OK, that being said...

I'm also an old-schooler that loved low-level nav in the Navy, and in college made a lot of tic marks on sectionals. So I do keep some sectionals and a WAC...just in case I need to draw a line to the nearest airport, or my next gas stop if (when) the trons stop flowing. Just a little back-up!

Of course, at work, when I move from NextGen to Classic (sans magenta lines), I issue a NOTAM!! :p

I had an FO a while back asked me why I was tuning VORs in the background for the RNAV departure..."what failure are you doing that in anticipation of?" was the question. "Dual FMC failure" was my answer...the look on his face was something like this...:eek: Then we laughed, learned, and flew on!

Backups are good...long ago learned skills are good too! ;)

Congrats on your son's acceptance to flight training!! (No LORAN's there either...you done him good that day! :))

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Great Post

Thanks for a great post, a great reminder to us new pilots. Having recently acquired my instrument rating in a C172 with dual VORs and traditional six pack (read: old school, and proud of it), I continuously have words in my head from a good friend and retired AF Brig. Gen. He regularly reminds me that pilots today are becoming "systems operator" instead of pilots. Of course, he proceeds to tell whoppers about landing fighter jets in zero-zero conditions in England in the 60s-70s using only some antiquated guidance by British ATC. Clearly a tall tale and renders his advice unreliable ;).

Great post, Tom..

I guess I'm spoiled because I do both. My -10 with two glass Dynons and my Air Tractor without.

Doing my "job" absolutely requires continually looking outside as I skim 6 feet above the cotton at 140 MPH. I come home with sore muscles from those huge ailerons and a tired mind from concentration on doing a good job with 1 foot lateral swath guidance and coming home alive.

So, with the autopilot on at 7500' and 200 true, I enjoy the relaxation while looking out at our beautiful earth from a vantage point few on the ground ever experience...the main reason I took flying lessons back in '67....and yes, I still fly "pilotage". The 430W has its place when there's an 800' overcast on my grandson's birthday, at their city....when I have to file IFR.

Good article,

Flying Without the Magenta Line

Please take the time to view all segments of the video. It will bring tears to your eyes and chills down your spine.

A true masterpiece about a true hero.

The video will que up on part 3, start with part 1 "Qualifications"

Enjoy!

http://www.airportappraisals.com/

Last edited:
You know...

I hear things like this and reflect back on my own flying experience. PPL in a 152 thru F16's in the Air Force. Each new platform brought leaps in technology. Each one making actually flying the airplane that much easier. Each one listening to the "old heads" remind me of why the older technology is better because of reliability. It has always seemed to me that aviation is archaically slow to adopt new ways. That the old "T" is better than the new glass. Mags are better than electronic egnition. Carbs are more field reliable than FI. I always enjoyed those leaps in technology. Man, the first day behind a HUD and it didn't take long to become a "HUD Baby." That's what old pilots called us new ones, presumably, because they were racing to the merge on the HSI between their knees. To me, it all comes down to a bottom line. Know your systems and basic piloting skills COLD. If you do, you'll be able to handle what may arise, even if you lose all of your purty glass.

Just my shiny .02

Cheers

Please take the time to view all segments of the video. It will bring tears to your eyes and chills down your spine.

A true masterpiece about a true hero.

The video will que up on part 3, start with part 1 "Qualifications"

Enjoy!

http://www.airportappraisals.com/

He wasn't called Lucky Lindy for nothing, great video.

Tom, your post on the magenta line is timely and appropriate.

I was around when it was introduced to Part 121 flying. There is no question it improved safety and efficiency and I was dazzled by it, but there was a down side in the beginning. When guys came back for their first recurrent session they were having problems flying by the old rules, we still had to do a circle ADF approach and all of it hands on flying. There was a conflict with operations policy which stated the new glass goodies would be used as much as possible (in theory, it saved fuel) and maintaining basic pilot proficiency. All that eventually worked itself out.

The old steam gage set up was good with a good pilot, but the new glass was better and you did not have to walk on water to use it successfully.

Walking on water was another issue. About the time glass came along so did CRM (crew recourse management). Before that it was perfectly normal to tolerate and go along with an egotistical maniac in the left seat, a pilot who viewed himself as perfect and was not about to accept any input from other crew members even to the extent of killing himself and everyone on an airplane. All that changed with CRM. Crew members were required to speak up when the old man screwed up. Some of those individuals retired or died rather than adjust to CRM and the new glass technology. Some did change but some did not.

Glass (the magenta line) is good, nice to have, but is not necessary for the typical mission here. If you do have it, don't get too carried away and do fly the airplane now and then. Stick a piece of card board over the display and see if you can find your way home. :)

Practice failures!

Great post! I always try to fly as if everything is going to die. It has happened to me twice in the last five years that I have lost electrical power during flight. Both times were not dangerous as I was in familiar territory and knew where I was in VFR conditions. It is strange flying for an hour or so with the headsets totally quiet and the panel dark!

I finished my IFR rating in my Cardinal that only has a six pack and one VOR radio and no AP. Thats a lot of twisting and tuning to get a fix all while taking notes and clearances and hand flying :eek:

I don't have any glass yet but the 7 will have dual GRT's, Garmins, etc. All the bells and whistles! I look forward to flying with this technology and the possibility of flying single pilot IFR but will always practice for failures. Funny, I practice for failures even now and all I have is a six pack and one VOR.

Happy New Year to all and keep flying!

On Target!

To me, it all comes down to a bottom line. Know your systems and basic piloting skills COLD. If you do, you'll be able to handle what may arise, even if you lose all of your purty glass.

Just my shiny .02

Cheers

Kobwo…thanks for condensing my rant!

Regards,

P.S. Do you happen to know “Spaniard”?

Last edited:
Sure do

Kobwo?thanks for condensing my rant!

Regards,

P.S. Do you happen to know ?Spaniard??

Hello Dago,

I sure do. We overlapped at Osan for a few months. He was my instructor for a few MQT rides. IIRC, he was in Stan Eval at the time. Great Dude.

Cheers

Hello Dago,

I sure do. We overlapped at Osan for a few months. He was my instructor for a few MQT rides. IIRC, he was in Stan Eval at the time. Great Dude.

Cheers

He is my son and he is back at Osan serving as D.O. 51st OSS and attached to the 36th FS. As a matter of fact, I may have met you. Were you at the FNG ceremony at the 36th when Spaniard got tied to the bar? hehehehe!

Regards,

Last edited:
He is my son and he is back at Osan serving as D.O. 51st OSS and attached to the 36th FS. As a matter of fact, I may have met you. Were you at the FNG ceremony at the 36th when Spaniard got tied to the bar? hehehehe!

Regards,

We probably did meet then. Small world. Good memories. Many people got tied to that bar.

Cheers

I flew a Cherokee in Kansas skys for years, I think I had an old sectional in the cockpit somewhere, but years of doing it that way makes me want to have all the fancy stuff in my RV12, but I wonder how much of the time I will even use most of it. If I did not feel confident to fly it without the glass working, I would have some steam gauges or some more instruction.

UAL Loss of All Flight Instruments

Not exactly related to RV aircraft other than for those with ALL glass cockpit instrument systems:

A retired UAL friend of mine just emailed me a copy of the ATC audio tape from United Flight 497 on April 9th. Flight 497 lost ALL flight instruments on their A-320 during a departure from DEN. They initially reported smoke in the cockpit then leading to eventual loss of all flight instruments. The crew skillfully returned to the airport. I was unable to download the audio tape to this forum.

BZ to the flight crew of 497!

great story!

I have a similar one. I used to be paid to fly new grumman ag-cats (W/r-1340radial) from the factory in Elmyra, New York to Welsh, La. No radio, no anything except a compass that usually started spinning around when I cranked that radial engine and didnt stop until I shut off the engine, lol. I gotta say that was some of the most exciting times in my aviation experience. To fly through the Shennandoah valley, in the fall, in a biplane, all I can say is wow! Got a lot of experience and enjoyed every second of it. Yep, and I did actually have the sectional blow out of cockpit. Lots more to the story but Ill keep it short...have fun flying, be safe, and don't forget to look out the window every now and then!!

bird

Last edited:
...Yep, and I did actually have the sectional blow out of cockpit. Lots more to the story but Ill keep it short...have fun flying, be safe, and don't forget to look out the window every now and then!!

bird

Maybe we should add a "Sectional Chart Blown Out of the Cockpit Checklist"! I had the same happen when flying a PT-22...at least I still had my course, distance & time log strapped to my kneeboard...hmmm, maybe I should add "Loss of Kneeboard" to my abnormal checklists...followed by "Loss of Abnormal Checklist" checklists.:D

Regards,

Last edited:
yeah

or maybe you should put the lost of your knee on the checklist for the lost checklist....hehheh

bird

be safe, and don't forget to look out the window every now and then!!

Out here in the Mountain West, we have fantastic panoramic scenery. I look out the window often. In fact, that's exactly why I fly!

And that's why the magenta line is so valuable. I no longer have to spend my time triangulating fixes on a sectional using the VOR system.....which means my eyes are in the cockpit........instead of scanning. Of course, we use to do it this way, but we don't have to now. I've had an "old world" instructor (at a different forum) suggest that I should still be doing the triangulating............as a prerequisite to fly. In fact, some instructors still use the words "fancy" , gizmos, and toys" to describe GPS.

I say B.S.! They call radio nav (VOR) basic navigation. It isn't basic! It just replaced the "basic" navigation system that preceded it. Yet it's still 40's technology that can't do near what a GPS based nav system can do.

It's still suggested in various articles that we fly a cross country here and there.......while leaving the GPS off. I say WHY? Why do I want to loose exact airspace boundaries, when so many of them exist. Why do I want to loose my in-flight weather, up to date TFRs, current altimeter settings, and fuel usage computer. WHY, WHY, WHY? Is it to be macho or something? Is it because THEY had to do it! I had to do it too! I am over 60...

Never the less, I do use current sectionals. I preplan cross countrys. I don't just push "direct" and think no farther.......as have a few CFI's that were involved in two mountain crashes around here. I do live in mountainous country, where GPS has many advantages over line of sight VOR.

I'll be thankful for the day when synthetic vision becomes standard in certified aircraft: especially for IFR. These day's, it's still much too expensive.......compared to the equipment available for our experimentals.

L.Adamson -- RV6A, Garmin 696/XM weather

A part of basic airmanship is avoiding overreliance on any one device in the cockpit, and using cross-checks to verify your situational and positional awareness.

A part of basic airmanship is avoiding overreliance on any one device in the cockpit, and using cross-checks to verify your situational and positional awareness.

Fine.............as long as the term "basic airmanship" doesn't exactly refer to the use of an antiquated VOR system. But to many........basic airmanship... means exactly that.

I'm all for VORs being removed. I don't even have a Nav radio in the plane. For my mountain routes, I use the sectionals, GPS, and pilotage. To make use of the VOR system...........I'd have to fly higher, and possibly less direct. As well.... as along more crowded VOR routes.

L.Adamson --- RV6A (going to install a sextant for those boring times)

I never said that it did. In your case, it sounds like practicing navigation with just the chart would make sense. It's easy to become good at navigation when the magenta line is working.

Last edited:
Basic Instrument Training with Glass

I currently train new instrument students in a new Cessna 172SP with Garmin 1000 ------ As a 71 year-old "steam gager", I reconize that a pilot will likely be transitioning between round gages and glass for many years to come, if they continue GA activities. So, all initial training on the G1000 is only with the PFD lit up ---- it has basically the six-pack, presented in a novel format and a CDI/RMI/HSI that, while fancier than a regular HI and a couple of CDIs, provides the same information and requires the same knob turning. Approaches (ILS, VOR, LOC) work just like with the steam gages. Only in the latter stages of training do we start lighting up the MFD and learning the GPS, approaches using the the MFD/GPS, and integrated autopilot functions.

I must say, the G1000 and other glass panels provide a tremendous bunch of good information and, I believe, will eventually be accepted by die-hard steam gagers as an asset to utilization of our aircraft.

And, as an aside, a complete malfunction of our glass (in the Cessna) means we have to resort to OMG - VACUUM INSTRUMENTS! (may they live long and prosper)!

Fly safe!

Ron

And, as an aside, a complete malfunction of our glass (in the Cessna) means we have to resort to OMG - VACUUM INSTRUMENTS! (may they live long and prosper)!

As much as an advocate I am for glass...................I want to leave in the vac system, when upgrading to a Skyview or similar. My RV panel looks like a mini-airliner, with all those round gauges, and perhaps I'm nostalgic..

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back