What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil drains

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I purchased the Saf-Air drain and with the newer style tanks they would require an adaptor ( I know that, only after purchasing and installing but nothing at ACS tells you they will not fit without the adaptor). My problem is in my installation there isn't any space for the adaptor (not RV). I'm just hearing of Fumoto valves and wandering if anyone has installed their F107SX model and if so what they think of it,
Thanks Ron

If the new tank has NPT pipe threads you should be able to buy a quick drain that won’t need an adapter. If it’s some other thread you could always go to the extreme action of having a new drain nipple welded in place of the original. Probably a last resort solution.

I assume you've looked at both the straight Curtiss Adapter (Leading Edge catalog number H8226) and the 90° H8227?
Sorry, I can not comment on the Fumoto question.
(I have the same issue with my new 912ULS but I can use the Curtiss option.)
Good luck.

Not aircraft, but I have fumoto valves on all of my automobiles. They are great.
(Not a compensated advertisement...)

No I do not have NPT, they are 12mm X 1.75 threads (metric).
I will have to take a look at the Curtis dimensions. Thanks

F107SX Valve

No aviation experience with this model, but some comments:

I am using the F107SX...on my car. It was the only valve that would fit on my Miata and allow the skid plate to go back on. Three years, ~40k miles and about a half dozen oil changes and it is perfect.

I have been using Fumoto valves on my vehicles for 30 years. Several hundred thousand miles. Never a leak or a worry.

I currently have the Fumoto NPT on my Lycoming. Its been there for about 2 years, and has worked perfectly with no concerns. Before I installed it, I considered drilling the release lever for safety wire, but after thinking back about my experience with the valves on vehicles, I said, "why bother?" Opening the valve requires deliberate manipulation in two directions, in sequence, plus they now sell or include a little nylon clip that is an additional safeguard.

Lots of things threaten to keep me awake at night, but not these oil valves.

Here is the Fumoto chart with all sizes. I use the T202NS 1/2"NPT model on my M1B. Diesels are very energetic (high accelerations on anything engine mounted) so if the last for that application I was satisfied. Look at the link, it has any configuration you could desire. http://fumotousa.com/size-chart.php

Also, the aluminum types on our Club planes got loose and leaked. Only one experience.

BTW - I did wrap a piece of safety wire as back up for the lever. No hole needed.

Here is the Fumoto chart with all sizes. I use the T202NS 1/2"NPT model on my M1B. Diesels are very energetic (high accelerations on anything engine mounted) so if the last for that application I was satisfied. Look at the link, it has any configuration you could desire. http://fumotousa.com/size-chart.php

Also, the aluminum types on our Club planes got loose and leaked. Only one experience.

BTW - I did wrap a piece of safety wire as back up for the lever. No hole needed.

I've been disappointed with the Saf-Air drains. The rubber o-rings seem to fail resulting in constant dripping. I've use Ez-drains and Fumoto ball style drains in my cars and trucks for a while with excellent results. I put one in my new engine, so can't say how it will work in an aircraft application long term, but if it's similar to my car/truck experience, I'll be happy.

Here is a pick of the T-202 (also safety wired).

Attachments

• IMG_3547.jpg
    IMG_3547.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 148
Back