What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR Panel

Ron B.

Well Known Member
A friend is building an RV-14 and is ordering a panel built by a prominent US shop. This shop isn't certain that a panel with a dual GDU460 and GTN 750 could fly IFR in Canada. They are not sure of our rules.
I'm quite sure he will be fine but just asking to make sure. The completed panel will be IFR certifiable in the USA, just making sure it could be here.
Thanks Ron
I myself know nothing about IFR

Hard to say for sure. We need the ability to absorb the loss of a single navigation source and still be able to do an approach. A GTN750 technically has 2 different navigation methods (GPS and NAV radio) but it might not meet the criteria if you can't handle the loss of the GTN750 itself.

Ron, better check this out. Previous Canadian posters have said their inspector counted a GTN as ‘1 box’, and they need two. Much stricter than US rules.

It seems many install a GTN/GNC combo when flying IFR in Canada. GTN 750/GNC 255 to satisfy the '2 separate source' requirement. At least I see that in the latest Flight Chops build for his -14. 7:30 in this video.

You will need to separate boxes. Instead of a second Nav I went with a 2nd IFR certified GPS. Went with the GTN 650 & GNC 355.

The regs talk about "...and associated displays". So imagine losing the screen on the GTN, now navigate and fly an approach.

The regs are also dependent in where one intends to fly. Some areas you might be fine with dual ADFs, but certainly not everywhere. The best would be dual GTNs, but GTN and a second stand-alone IFR GPS should suffice for 99% of the world.

About 6 months ago, I lost the screen on a flight management system. Basically a fancy GPS with other features. It was working great and providing info to the HSI, but no ability to see what it was doing or change anything. Fortunately that plane had dual FMS, so was a minor inconvenience and not life altering.

Back