What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna Switch Box

Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
Planning ahead and reducing risk I have to decide what to do with
the handheld radio. I have the Yaesu FTA230. If I needed to switch to
the hand held I would use the adapter for the headset. But in the effort
to have good range on the radio started looking into how to use the second
belly comm antenna for the handheld. Was it better to install a third comm
antenna or use one of the existing two I now have installed. I ran across
this:
http://www.skygeek.com/icom-icant-sb-antenna-switch-box.html

It is installed between the antenna and the panel radio. It comes with the
4' cord with BNC on one end and plug for the switch box on the other.
The pic does not show the port for the adapter but it's on the other side and
the box makes the switch from panel radio to handheld when it's plugged in
to the box. A mechanical switch.
Does anyone have experience with this switch box. I have used antenna switch
boxes with my ham radios in the past with no problems. But, this
is airplane stuff that I have no experience using.
So any and all suggestions and comments appreciated and needed.

We installed one in our Pazmany to use the external antenna for the range at altitude. The rubber handheld antenna just didn't cut it for me. The bnc from the plane antenna connects to the rear as does another from the panel comm. The small plug plugs into the front from the handheld and this bypasses the panel comm and switches the plane antenna connection to the handheld. Easy installation and worked great! We transmitted and received from 20+ miles loud and clear.

We installed one in our Pazmany to use the external antenna for the range at altitude. The rubber handheld antenna just didn't cut it for me. The bnc from the plane antenna connects to the rear as does another from the panel comm. The small plug plugs into the front from the handheld and this bypasses the panel comm and switches the plane antenna connection to the handheld. Easy installation and worked great! We transmitted and received from 20+ miles loud and clear.

Carlos, do you know the manufacturer or part number of this switch box ?
Thanks

Kevin

Carlos, do you know the manufacturer or part number of this switch box ?
Thanks

Kevin

Found it. Thanks
Kevin

For everyone else's info it is the Icom ANT SB (Avionic Antenna Switchbox)

Allows a handheld radio to be connected to the aircraft external antenna for best range and operation. Compatible with ICOM IC-A3, IC-A5, IC-A6, IC-A14, IC-A24, IC-A110, IC-A120 radios.

Icom-ANT-SB-a-s.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar switch box in my Archer, but did not use one in the RV on recommendation of Stein. Instead, I put a connector pair in the antenna coax to allow me to disconnect the belly antenna from the panel radio and connect directly to the top of the handheld. I just have enough coax available and accessible at the bottom of the panel. Easy peasy. :cool:

Last edited:
Been lookin' around. Seems the Icom IC-Ant-SB has been discontinued and is no longer available...

Kevin, have you found a source for it?

Just sold ours and cannot remember where we purchased. When I was looking for the particulars I saw it at Mypilotstore.com
Kevin

Back