What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iFlyRV10 Flush Locks -- success?

fehdxl

Well Known Member
Has anyone successfully installed the iFlyRV10 flush locks? If so, I'd really like to see pictures.

For those of you who still have not done so, please do not install the lock where I did. The short story is there is too much slop in the rotational aspect of the lock. Therefore when any significant force is applied to try and force open the door, it just slips by and wha-lah, it's open.

I've considered going lockless... but that's a different topic.

If I do decide to install the flush lock, then I'll place it vertically over the flush handle system. That way the force used to try and force it open will be applied to the lock itself in a liner manner not in rotation.

What do you guys think?

BTW, here's a picture of what not to do.

201201121945169451.jpg

-Jim

Jim,

I had those same locks installed close to where you've got them and they worked out great. Not exactly sure what the issue is from your description - give me a call and maybe I can help.

Bob

I have those locks installed in the same position and they have been fine for more than three years. You can overpower it, but it takes quite a bit of force. I am not aware of any slop in the mechanism.
I know you could overpower the lock if you were determined to break in to the airplane, but I am not sure that is such a bad thing. I would rather a determined thief overpowered the lock to get in rather than break out a window. It is hard to imagine a lock on the RV-10 door that a determined thief could not get around. I imagine this is true for most light airplanes whether certified or experimental.

After further discussion with those who have done this before me, I think my primary issue is that I did not cut away the section of the flush *handle* piece so that the flush *lock* could be in its place. This caused the arm of the locking mechanism to be much longer and therefore the slop in the lock barrel is exaggerated.

Oh yeah, those two holes above the flush aren't supposed to be there either...that was me riding the threads of some epoxy and I went too far. Not worried about that part. Fill it and sand...it'll disappear.

Thanks for the help.

-Jim

IFLYRV10 Flush locks

Reviving an old thread, but does anyone have photos of the locks and install process. Seems they don't sell them anymore and I am trying to roll my own with the help of a local locksmith.

Thanks,

+1 for Aerosport products on my RV10. They work great and look great and not as much friction and weight. The flush handles have mechanical interference just after 90 degrees so the 180 degree planearound latch is not compatible with them. It is compatible with the Aerosport Products handle.

Flush door locks

So if I were to say that I already had the flush latches and wanted to stay on that track and come up with a flush lock solution, would anyone that has installed them have photos?

Cheers,

Plane around flush door lock

Just purchase these and save yourself a lot of time. I installed them on my completed 10

http://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rv-10-low-profile-door-handle/

I?m thinking to pull Ifly flush door handle out and install the low-profile handle, question is, does it lock the Vans original system or lock to the cabin jam?

Is Van?s Original set up sound enough without the center pin?

If those of you with the Low-Profile would post some pic it would be appreciated

Thanks

The Aerosport handles lock the original vans mechanism

No, Vans mechanism is not safe without the plane around center latch.

35624101123_95c3b9a787_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Install Directions

Anyone have a copy of the installation directions for both the Plane Around door lock and Aerosport door handle?

Aerosport handle instructions are on their website. Email Sean at plane around for the latch instructions

Center locking mechanism

2nd that request. Interested in replacing my handle as I too have the center locking mechanism.

john

I purchased the Aerosport low profile handle and want the center locking pin. Do I have to buy the Plane Around 180 degree kit? $$$$$$$ 419.00 ouch!!

Back