What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Intercom System are you using?

MFMarch

I'm in the very early stages of planning for my panel and I'm curious as to what everyone is using for the intercom system in their -10. I checked with Dynon and they don't have any capability for 4-place and don't have any immediate plans to offer any options for a 4-place aircraft.

So... What are you using in your -10?

Home-brew, to get the features I wanted. $50 parts, my time free!
edit: photo in <RV10>, <show us your panel>, thread 188.

Last edited:
Most people have 2 Com's and at least one Nav in their -10's, so using an audio panel is standard. Most, if not all, modern audio panels have 4+ place intercoms built in.

I started with a PS8000BT. Loved the bluetooth, nice and clear audio. The only thing I was frustrated with was the button-ology for setting certain modes was not terribly intuitive.

At OSH, I demoed the PS Engineering PMA-450. I really liked the directional audio and the menu driven LCD made all the other button issues go away. Still have bluetooth, and really digging that.

Most people have 2 Com's and at least one Nav in their -10's, so using an audio panel is standard. Most, if not all, modern audio panels have 4+ place intercoms built in.

This is true. But it's also true that many people do not want MB, ADF, extra VOR as in years past. An intercom with multiple inputs, plus an additional transmit select toggle switch (#1 or #2) is all that some people need or want. Your choice, as always.

Yea but for not much more that the price of an bare bones intercom you can get a full function audio panel with 4 place intercom with the Garmin GMA 240 for example.
Check out the details from this previous post on the Garmin GMA 240, and you decide if you prefer a home brew system or a real audio panel.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1013870&postcount=24

Full disclosure, I am a Garmin dealer but I also have a 240 in my own RV which I am very happy with. I have installed quite a few of the GMA 240's and have never heard anything but good reports from users.

(I used to be in the "home brew" camp myself, but these new audio panels are such a great value and have so many features I wouldn't even consider making my own anymore)

Last edited:
I have a full Garmin panel including the GMA 240 audio panel. I have no complaints.

I wanted marker beacons, so I

am going with the PSA 8000BT ------ yes, I know, ILS's are so "yesterday", but with that capability on the 650 and 430 I am installing, no sense wasting the technology.

R.

am going with the PSA 8000BT ------ yes, I know, ILS's are so "yesterday", but with that capability on the 650 and 430 I am installing, no sense wasting the technology.

R.

Of course, virtually every OM fix is in the GTNs database, and it's a legal substitute for the MB on an ILS.

Advance Flight

I have been trying to make the same decision myself. Right now I am leaning toward having my panel built up by Advanced Flight and using there Intercom.

Drippy
RV10

Thanks for all the great replies!

Does anyone make a panel that allows the passengers to control their own volume and/or select their own music source?

NAT AA-80 intercom I got off flea-bay for 50 bucks.

430W com, nav and SL40 hooked together with resistor and capacitor network.

1 Mic toggle switch.

I don't think I could get into a full audio panel "for just a little more".

My ANR headsets have bluetooth for music and phone so I just don't have a reason to put an audio panel in.

I'm in the very early stages of planning for my panel and I'm curious as to what everyone is using for the intercom system in their -10. I checked with Dynon and they don't have any capability for 4-place and don't have any immediate plans to offer any options for a 4-place aircraft.

So... What are you using in your -10?

I am utilizing a GMA 35 which sits on top of and behind the GTN 750.

Thanks for all the great replies!

Does anyone make a panel that allows the passengers to control their own volume and/or select their own music source?

My pax do that via their headsets which are Bose A20s. The individual headset controls, besides volume, have a line-in jack to which I have supplied a patch cord to connect to their phones, ipods, tablets etc

Last edited:
PAC15EX

I have been trying to make the same decision myself. Right now I am leaning toward having my panel built up by Advanced Flight and using there Intercom.

Drippy
RV10

Don't forget that AFS has integrated our remote mounted audio panel!

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.

IMHO, the PS Engineering units have the best sound quality, especially if you listen to a portable stereo music device plugged into them. The Garmin units are good too, I put one of those in my friend's RV10 when we built it a few years ago, but PSE's products just sound better to me.

Back