What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

windshield trim line for slider?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I'm trying to get the windshield trimmed to final size while it's still easy to get the shop warm here in KS. I get the general concept, but I'm blessed with an overabundance of material at the lower sides.

So here's the question; Drawing 43 seems to show that the lower edge of the windshield has almost no overlap at the aft corners of the glare shield, but I see lots of guys saying they wish they had more to work with here.

I made the big cut before I trimmed the lower edge of the canopy, so I have the full length of the windshield to work with. After I cut off the mold lines, I'll have at least an inch of extra Plexiglas to play with in that area. Given the option, how much overlap do folks leave in this area?

The area I'm talking about is marked in red on the screenshot of drawing 43 below.

Attachments

• IMG_7634.jpg
    IMG_7634.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 9.04.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 9.04.40 PM.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 215
Overlap

Think of it a little differently.
If then plexi is too low, the trim will have to buldge out to cover it. Hold a straight edge along the fuse side and meausre the gap up till you have a gap the thickness of the plexi plus .040-.060. The latter is four to six layers of fiberglass skirt. The point where you have adeqate gap is the lowest point for plexi or the trim will have to buldge out.
Fiberglass trim will cover it if you cut shy.

No idea

I had no idea where to trim my windscreen. I did what was posted above. I also changed the shape around the fuselage be d so that it was not being forced out by being too long around the fuselage rounded turtle deck.

I left the overlap as long as possible and heavily chamfered the inner edge so that the outer surface lined up with canopy. Gave me a wide glue line (I used Sika).
Stewart Willoughby, 6 final assembly

Blue tape

I left the overlap as long as possible and heavily chamfered the inner edge so that the outer surface lined up with canopy. Gave me a wide glue line (I used Sika).
Stewart Willoughby, 6 final assembly

I cut mine off right about where your blue tape was. I figured that was enough for the Sikaflex to grab. In addition, I Sikeflex'd my windscreen skirt onto both the windscreen and fuselage, so the plexi was doubly secured.

Back