What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passengers in RV-4

sheavers

Can anyone comment on rear passenger comfort for long X/C flights, and handling qualities with a passenger in the back (CG limitations etc.) Most of the people that I speak to say they fly solo 90% of the time... I really want an RV-4 so I can take little 2-3 day trips with 2 people... No, can't afford an RV-8

I just flew a -4 for the first time this weekend and was in the back - I'm considering buying this one. It's a snug fit for me, and I'm 6', 150 lb. There was enough head-canopy clearance. Your feet are close to the pilot's legs when on the rudder pedals, but you can use one of the fuse bulkheads as a front "stop" for your feet. Entry isn't that bad. I could see around the pilot's head to see ASI and ALT.

The biggest thing is that there isn't a lot of storage space for little things, e.g., a water bottle, camera, etc.

The plane flew fine, light stick forces. Pitch forces were easily trimmed out.

RV4 comfort

I currently co-own a RV4 while I build my RV7A and have spent plenty of time in the back maybe 3 hours max. leg. I?m 5?-10? 175#. Originally the plane wasn?t to comfortable back there but we added the foot wells like they have on the RV8. Basically bought the RV8 parts and modified them to fit the RV4 which took about a day. This made a huge difference as it lowers your legs to a more comfortable angle and helps to move them below the pilot?s seat slightly . The main drawback to the RV4 is the weight you can carry in the back. We try to limit this to 200#. So if you don't need to make log trips with heavy friends in the back the RV4 is a great plane. My wife has never complained.

It all depends on how your -4 is equipped, Mine has a big engine and MT CS prop, CG is not an issue, I have carried a 6?6? 250lb passenger with no problems ( this is in CG for my -4) and my seat & roll bar is moved back 1? from stock, I do have the foot wells. As for comfort, this depends on how the seat cushions are fashioned, I can exhaust my fuel range with 200lb passenger with good comfort for both, My Dad?s -4 would kill you in 45 minuets tell he made some nice cushions, the angles of the seat need to be higher at the front so your not sitting on your tail bone. So take a look at the weight and balance and see if it will fit your mission. I find CG to be very important, I will not operate out side of it?s range but gross weight is set very conservative so mine has been raised a good bit, basically its raised up to the point I can load it to its aft CG This will depend on the empty CG of the -4 your looking at. The airplane flies very well loaded to the aft limit but it is a very different handling plane loaded aft then solo so you work your way up to further aft loads, don?t fly it a couple hours solo and then jut load it all up and go, this could be exciting. We take ours on CC flights often and have ample baggage to stay a week or so. The -4 is probably Van?s best effort and is the best value when buying a flying RV, there would be a lot more if they would make a modern kit for it, pre punched.

The CG limitations of the RV-4 is one of the reasons I'm building an RV-7. Though I've heard you can have the same problems on the 7 depending on how you build it.

I've limited my back seaters to 180 lbs. I have found that I have to put in a fair amount of nose down trim when carrying pax approaching that weight. I have light weight accessories on the engine and a Catto prop neither of which help my CG situation.

My wife finds the back seat comfortable. Her only complaint is that her ankles start hurting. If I ever get around to putting in foot wells for the back seater she will no longer have that problem. Luggage limitations can be a pain. We can only take day trips anyway so that's never been a major limiting factor. If we do go on a long trip somewhere I intend to just ship my luggage ahead and only take light carry-ons for personal needs during the flight.

I don?t have a photo but the foot wells are recesses in the floor just behind the spar that are angled, the passengers feet rest down in them rather then having to sit flat or rest on there heel witch makes your feet hurt, this also lowers your knees into a better seating position. The -4 does not have this in stock trim.

Doug,
I don't have them in my 4, but have some pics of them in another 4 I looked at. I'll try to remember to post them when I get home tonight.

Foot wells

Hi All

I just installed foot wells in my RV4 last weekend and it is well worth the time to do so. My 6'2" 190 lbs son said that his legs are comfortable now. Also having him in the back seat with my C/G towards the aft limit has not been a problem during landing. I fly down final @65kts full flaps with 1300 rpm. Over the numbers or a foot or two from touch down I bring the power back and add back pressure to the stick and let it settle in to a 3 point attitude. I have had a 220 lbs guy in the rear seat and the landing was about the same.
I think pilot skill and experience plays the major role in the out come of a landing.
My experience has been in Champs and Stinsons so to me aft C/G loaded RV4 has not been a big deal. If my back ground was with Spam cans I would over control the landing.
I will tell any one who is looking at an RV4 to get tailwheel time in a Cub, Champ or Citabria with a 150 hp engine. So you know what to expect from an RV tailwheel aircraft. This is just my humble opinion your mileage my vary

Ballast volunteer

I'm 6' 230# in flying trim. I have RV-4 rear seat experience. I am available for anyone who needs to practice landings, loops, rolls with aft loading. I will gladly give detailed pireps. :D :D :D

I have flown my -4 with a 260+ pound guy in the back seat. However, I have an O-360 with a Hartzell up front. The battery is located in the baggage compartment. Does it fly differently? You bet; the pitch sensitivity is much greater, but the airplane flies fine once you get used to the difference. No aerobatics with him back there, but x/c flying is fine. Solo, the airplane is a touch nose heavy, but nothing that the trim can't handle. My best passenger is my 140 pound nephew. Stick forces and performance seem perfect at this weight (and I'm 200 lbs).

I believe that the -4 is the best bang for the buck. Initially, I was interested in the -8, but after experiencing the rudder position (and the price tag), I decided on the -4. My -4 is roomier than most due to the cushion configuration.

With that being said, unfortunately I will be putting it up for sale soon. I will miss it though. Look for it here before I out it on Barnstormers...

the_other_dougreeves said:
Dumb question, but what are the footwells? Anyone have photos?

TODR

If you've ever looked at an RV-8, they have them on either side of the pilot's seat. Great place for the rear passenger to put their feet at a more comfortable angle. In an RV-4 it has the added benefit of getting the passenger's foot away from your flap handle if your 4 is equipped with manual flaps. Hopefully someone will post pictures of them.

WSBuilder said:
Could you elaborate on the cushion config? Pix?

When I was shoppig for a flying RV-4, it seemes like most of them had super-thick cushions in them that made my head hit the canopy. I assumed I was just too tall for a -4. When I went to look at the one I ended up buying, I was happy to see that the owner was about 6'2". The cushions are thin but very comfortable. Even with my big LightSpeeds on, I still have a couple of inches of clearance.

Back