What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
For now I plan to use the VANS supplied tailwheel, though I can see I will get fed up with it.

My question is how should it be set up? Bolted up firmly so it still spins and then secured at that with a cotter pin? VANS did not appear to supply hardware to do that. I cant imagine how they intended it to be. Nothing I can see in the plans.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the axle nut Steve? In that case, yes, tighten until it still spins, then use a cotter pin (if I remember correctly....mine is gathering dust somehwere under the workbench....)

Paul

For now I plan to use the VANS supplied tailwheel, though I can see I will get fed up with it. My question is how should it be set up? Bolted up firmly so it still spins and then secured at that with a cotter pin?

While the Vans tailwheel is not a particularly fancy design, it works well and I see no reason why you will get fed up with it. After flying the Vans wheel on my RV-6 for several years I replaced it with the Bell gear just to get a little more ground clearance. I still use the bolt (axle) and castelated nut that was supplied by Vans.

Yep, just bolt up the wheel until it still spins freely, then secure the nut with a cotter pin. That's all there is to it. If you bend the head of the cotter pin down against the nut a towbar will fit nicely over the nut.

Fed up with it?

I agree with Sam, Vans set up works fine.
But like everything RV....you will want it the best it can be.
I too switched to the Bells tailfork and VERY happy I did.
I do still use the Vans wheel, bearing, axle bolt, with cotter pin bent down for the tow bar, per Sams description.

Paul/Sam/Bob - thanks for the replies. I will see how I get on with it. I have to fly it before I can be fed up with it and that means I have to build it first. I'll get on with that!

Cheers

I hate it sort of...

Steve,

I just installed the standard Full swivel this Spring. I really disliked it at first and still do (theoretically). However, I've had no operational issues with it so far and replacing it is just not a real high priority.

At some point, I'll probably get one of Vince Frazier's forks so that it won't snag stuff so easily. But not real soon.

BTW, I've enjoyed your website and following your progress. Good luck the rest of the way.

John

Bell Tailwheel

Hi All

I had about 60 hrs on my Van?s tailwheel when I switched to the Bell tailwheel. The Van?s set-up seemed to be twitchy on T/O and landing roll out .The Bell tailwheel is a marked improvement. The T/O right ?left ?right has completely disappeared. My son has commented my T/O?s were dead straight after I changed the tailwheel to the Bell set-up.
Your mileage my very

I flew the Van's fork the first 150 hours and never had an issue with it. The RV-4 is still the sweetest landing taildragger there is in my opinion. I have the Bell fork now and it is much better for taxiing across rough stuff, up onto pavement, etc. There was no noticeable difference in ground handling for me. You'll be happy with your plane no matter which fork you use.

API

Aviation Products Incorporated TW's are the absolute best, I have tried all of them. Worth every penny...

Rob Ray

I want to change from the stock tailwheel on the RV-4 I just bought. How do you adapt the Bell or Aviation Products tailwheel to the RV-4? Do you have to replace the spring arm with an RV-8 style? If so does it bolt on or are there modifications?

Thanks,

- Brett

Steve Sampson said:
For now I plan to use the VANS supplied tailwheel, though I can see I will get fed up with it.

My question is how should it be set up? Bolted up firmly so it still spins and then secured at that with a cotter pin? VANS did not appear to supply hardware to do that. I cant imagine how they intended it to be. Nothing I can see in the plans.

Thanks.

You've got it exactly right. The only suggestion I'd make is to use a slightly longer bolt, and stack a few washers under the head and under the castle nut. This allows you to easily use an off the shelf (read cheap and readily available) Cessna towbar on the tailwheel. If you don't add the extra washer, it's prone to slip off.

bjustus said:
I want to change from the stock tailwheel on the RV-4 I just bought. How do you adapt the Bell or Aviation Products tailwheel to the RV-4? Do you have to replace the spring arm with an RV-8 style? If so does it bolt on or are there modifications?

Thanks,

- Brett
If you have the ORIGINAL tailwheel (not the Full Swivel), you need to cut off the rear part of the spring at the bend, then have the spring turned down to fit in the tailwheel you are going to use.

Literally just got the modified tailspring back this morning, and will install this afternoon. Not really a big deal if you have access to a hacksaw and a lathe!

Hi guys, trying to track down Aviation Products tailwheel assys.....anybody got a contact number or e mail address for these guys.

Cheers,
Geoff

Original ??

IF we're talking about an original NON-SWIVEL tailwheel, I would suggest you keep it on the airplane and forget the whole thing. I wish I had.

Spend a few $$ on a Bogi-bar or equivalent. Then decide if you really want to go to the trouble. IMHO, the FS tailwheel is the most over-rated piece of equipment in the history of aviation :)

If you're determined to go ahead anyway, you can buy a new tailspring from Van for $95. Match drill the hole from the old one on your drill press and you don't need a machine shop.

Lastly, you WILL end up buying the Bogi-bar (or equivalent) anyway. So, you might as well do that first and see if you still need the FS tailwheel.

Good luck.

John

Screaming Eagle full swivel tailwheel

I produce a nice full swivel tailwheel that gives better clearance and better handling than the stock Van's tailwheel. A common Cessna towbar works very well with it. You can also install a Van's tailwheel pant on my product and it will still full swivel as designed. They will retrofit into the Van's tailwheel socket in about 5 minutes.

My design is standard equipment on new F-1 Rockets. Over 90 units have been shipped in the last few months.

Take a look for yourself. BTW, I have them in stock and ready to ship.

Vince Frazier
Screaming Eagle Graphics and Accessories, LLC
3965 Caborn Road
Mount Vernon, IN 47620
812-464-1839
http://vincesrocket.com/products.htm

vfrazier said:
I produce a nice full swivel tailwheel that gives better clearance and better handling than the stock Van's tailwheel. A common Cessna towbar works very well with it. You can also install a Van's tailwheel pant on my product and it will still full swivel as designed. They will retrofit into the Van's tailwheel socket in about 5 minutes.

My design is standard equipment on new F-1 Rockets. Over 90 units have been shipped in the last few months.

Take a look for yourself. BTW, I have them in stock and ready to ship.

Vince Frazier
Screaming Eagle Graphics and Accessories, LLC
3965 Caborn Road
Mount Vernon, IN 47620
812-464-1839
http://vincesrocket.com/products.htm
I?ve got a little over 20 hours on one of Vince?s tailwheels and am very happy with it and the added clearance it provides. It handles fine, but as I mounted it before I started flying my -4, I can?t give a comparison to the original.
Tom

Off Road Tail Draggers...

Guys,
I tried no less than 3 tailwheels on my RV4 over a 10 year period. I operated my RV4 (and now my HR2) off rough grass, gravel and everything in between. The original Van's tailwheel doesn't work worth a flip as the bolt that holds it on hits rocks and drags in the mud on a soft strip. The Van's FS tailwheel and Vince's are very nice but are no good for me as the design has the fork forward getting whacked by rocks, clogging up with mud and getting the paint peeled off by grass and sand, then it rusts. If the TW goes into a hole or mud the front end drags the ground picking up debris or mud. The Aviation products single fork tailwheel on my RV4 has a cad plated fork, 6" tire and swivels with ease. It has great ground clearance and has been flawless for 10 years of landings mostly off pavement. I snapped the bellcrank on the top in the Idaho backcountry after 5 years of hard use and they replaced it free.
I installed a double fork API on my Harmon Rocket and it is even better. If you do any off road flying or operate off gravel or turf and like a painless swivel tailwheel, the API is for you...otherwise, I would go with Vince's.

Rob Ray
RV4 formerly
HR2 currently
F16 till Saturday...

Last edited:
Rock blocker paint protection film

I can appreciate Rob's comments on tailwheels and the beating that they take. I fly mine off grass and other rough stuff too. I have even been stuck in mud before, due to the main gear wheelpants sinking into some soft spring thaw turf. Had to use a tractor to free the plane after removing the pants. Doh! (no, I didn't try to power it out and yes, I attached the tow straps very carefully to the gear leg sockets so no load was ever on the airframe.)

But I've never had my tailwheel give a minute of trouble, unlike the original Van's tailwheel which would snag on everything.

To keep your tailwheel (or any other painted surface) free from abrasion damage, screwdriver slips, rock chips, etc. try www.rockblocker.com or just click here http://rockblocker.com/store/37825.htm for material by the foot.

The 3M tape that they sell is the bomb. You can put it just about anywhere and it is nearly invisible, and dang near bulletproof. I have a piece on the leading edge of my tailwheel to prevent grass abrasion from damaging the paint. No damage in 150+ hours.

I also use it in various spots around the cowl, gearleg fairings, and wheelpants.

And you can peel the stuff off at least 2 years later and you'd never know it was ever there. No sticky residue, no paint damage. Good stuff, highly recommended.

Vince

Give it a try...

I am buying one of Vince's taiulwheels to install on my Rocket for testing. I usually keep a spare tailwheel assembly as I have broken two over the years and needed a standby while I waited for parts. Since I have no spare right now, I need to buy one...woo hoo!
I will install Vinces and write up a report on how it works for me. Should be fun...

Smokey

So far I've been impressed with the Aviation Products tailwheel. I've got a spare Van's full-swivel tailwheel assembly listed over in the classified section if anyone needs a spare. ;)

Steve Sampson said:

Steve......been flying mine for several years now.....and although I don't know any different....I like it, chains and all. Only thing that has happpened is the little clip that holds the chain on the tailwheel flipped and came off a couple of times (not sure why) so I safety wired it and it has been fine ever since.....

Back