What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Cabin Heat Routing

pbesing

Well Known Member
Anyone come up with a good place to run the duct for the cabin heat? Just about anywhere up front will burn my legs, and haven't quite figured a way to get the heat throughout the cabin. Was thinking of using the warm/cold mixer box that Van's sells, and could then run heat through the vents. Thoughts?

I can't wait to find out either. Mine dumps out right at the firewall and keeps my right foot toasty warm. The rest of my body and my passenger just shiver. :)

Mine runs up to a vent just forward of the stick. It's adjustable so I can point it at my legs, chest, face etc. I just built it per the plans, runs through the firewall, along the battery, y's up to a vent next to the stick, and the other side goes through the spar to just next to the rear stick. I think I bought the vents from Van's.

I just ordered the super dooper heat/fresh air selector box. Going to put it on and see if I can get good heat through the vents instead.

firewall

Mine dumps out at the firewall also. It provides pretty good heat up front. I am comfortable on 40F days. Below that, it really struggles to keep up. The trick is sealing the corners of the canopy. It's odd to be relatively warm and feel that ice dold air on your hands.

Up here in the Northeast, cold wx also means snow and ice on the taxi ways. I lose more days to poor surface conditions than actaul cold weather.

Think Spring !!!

John

My heat installation is on a -8, so I'm not sure how well it'd work on a -4, but it might be worth a try.

I used a variation on Randy Lervold's installation on his RV-8; since I don't have any pics of mine, I have to reference these two pics from his website;

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Pictures/Dscn0003.jpg
http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Pictures/DSCN0007.JPG

My duct came through the firewall over towards the left side; the change I made from Randy's idea was to use a Y splitter right at the firewall. From the Y splitter straight outlet I ran a scat tube duct back to a vent mounted to the gear tower on the side. The other 45 deg outlet I squeezed and narrowed down a bit and pointed it towards my feet. From what I can tell so far, this setup works pretty well... keeps my toes toasty warm while the side vent can be adjusted to point either up towards the front seat or down the left sidewall to get some heat to the back seat. The big question though regarding the -4, is there a place to mount a duct and vent near the sidewall? And is the fuselage too narrow to allow this arrangement? I dunno...

The two parts that I used for this setup;

Y splitter duct from Van's, pn VENT DL-Y

Stainless heater firewall valve from these guys, http://www.epm-avcorp.com/ssdiv.html . I used the 1A variation with the Y duct attached to the thru-firewall flange.

RV4 Cabint heat

Hi Paul
Here are some images of my 4 and how I ran the cabin heat
img0030ur9.jpg
[/IMG]
This is the inlet on the rear of the baffle
img0024bp4.jpg
[/IMG]
The heat muff on the left side
img0025sj4.jpg
[/IMG]
Thru the firewall between the gear legs
img0029fq4.jpg
[/IMG]
The heated air comes thru the eyeball vent next to the stick. I am able to direct the air to the rear seat up and along the canopy

Back