What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build Order and Kit Delivery

rynmss

I've mentioned before, I was unfortunately affected by the latest news from Van's that they are running behind/delayed. I did take delivery of my fuselage kit with a few BO components that are likely not needed until well into the build. (Brake hardware, rudder pedals.)

I don't think building the fuselage before the wings, for me, is wise. Storage and space will become an issue, forcing me into a hanger far earlier than preferred. I also see the fuselage leading into high-value components (engine, avionics, FWF) toward the end, which isn't ideal before I get the wings completed.

However, I'm reluctant to put the project down until the end of this year. A question for those who've built the fuselage: Can I crack the box open and sneak out what's needed for a subcomponent—so-to-speak? Perhaps there is a 3-month project hiding in there, that when the wings do arrive I can put down easily and package everything back up?

I see it starts with the firewall, but there's also the tailcone section and a few others. I thought those who've built the thing might be able to identify a chore I can knock out for the three-four month wait I have ahead of me.

I have written Van's asking if maybe my fuel tanks, flaps, or ailerons are ready for pick-up while the rest waits, but no response yet...

Fuse

I've mentioned before, I was unfortunately affected by the latest news from Van's that they are running behind/delayed. I did take delivery of my fuselage kit with a few BO components that are likely not needed until well into the build. (Brake hardware, rudder pedals.)

I don't think building the fuselage before the wings, for me, is wise. Storage and space will become an issue, forcing me into a hanger far earlier than preferred. I also see the fuselage leading into high-value components (engine, avionics, FWF) toward the end, which isn't ideal before I get the wings completed.

However, I'm reluctant to put the project down until the end of this year. A question for those who've built the fuselage: Can I crack the box open and sneak out what's needed for a subcomponent—so-to-speak? Perhaps there is a 3-month project hiding in there, that when the wings do arrive I can put down easily and package everything back up?

I see it starts with the firewall, but there's also the tailcone section and a few others. I thought those who've built the thing might be able to identify a chore I can knock out for the three-four month wait I have ahead of me.

I have written Van's asking if maybe my fuel tanks, flaps, or ailerons are ready for pick-up while the rest waits, but no response yet...

You could start by the book. Firewall then bulkheads until you need the center section spar to start the bottom center core. It is assembled first with the 704 and 705 bulkheads. The spar is shipped with the wings. Also the longerons.
You could take out skins and other parts and prime them.
Unless you have a big shop, the fuse may get in tbe way while you build wings, tanks, leading edges.
My blog is very detailed and in order by the manual. You could scan the pages and count time for sub components pretty easy. I'm not super fast.
http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Your blog is bookmarked and often referenced! Thank you for publishing such good info!

I was looking at it when thinking about what I could take on. The firewall would be great, and could be stored out of the way. I just don't know it's the time consuming distraction I needed.

And then as you mentioned, it moves quickly into parts I recognized would be in the wing kit.

That's why I wondered about the tail cone. I think it might fit at the end of my garage, sideways, if need to set it aside for a few months...

Maybe he can ask vans to send the bulkheads.

A helpful note: I'm very close (20 minute drive) to Van's. Again, I'm giving them around a week for a response, I'm sure they're inundated with emails. Maybe I can connect with them on Friday and ask the feasibility of this.

Tail

Your blog is bookmarked and often referenced! Thank you for publishing such good info!

I was looking at it when thinking about what I could take on. The firewall would be great, and could be stored out of the way. I just don't know it's the time consuming distraction I needed.

And then as you mentioned, it moves quickly into parts I recognized would be in the wing kit.

That's why I wondered about the tail cone. I think it might fit at the end of my garage, sideways, if need to set it aside for a few months...

You could assemble some of it but the longerons are needed at some point. Certainly worth looking ahead though the manual and plans.

Plan, Plan, Plan....

Ryan,

I'd encourage you to read the plans in every waking moment you have available. I waited for my SB wing kit for several months. During that time I actively read the entire wing kit plans (all plans are available to you through on the Vans website, if you don't currently have them) and built them in my head 3, or 4 times. When the kit did arrive, I was familiar with most, if not all parts and how they were put together. That entire effort was highly productive.

I recommend starting at the beginning. Not hands on, not fun, but another option to consider.

Best of luck!
Mike

For what it's worth, I built the fuselage (SB) before the wings and recommend it. The fuselage is fun to build and very motivational to spur me on. I had space considerations also but was able to build the entire fuselage from prop to tail cone in 1 bay of my 2 car garage. I do have a small indoor workshop were I do some sub-assembly and prep, especially nice in the winter. The completed (near flight ready) fuselage took me about 3 years. I just completed the SB wings in about 6 months and will be moving to the airport next week... If I did it again I would do the fuselage before the wings, like I said the fuselage was fun (and challenging), the wings are easy but boring!!! IMHO

Last edited:
I had limited storage space after receiving the fuselage and finish kits, so stacked the fuselage crate on top of the finish crate.
Removing one long side of the fuselage crate (and fitting a removable brace) allowed me to pull parts out as required, and provided a flat surface on top for parts as they were deburred, primed, riveted, etc.

Back