What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin Portable Prices (OSH coming)

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Sporty's just sent an email...

496 - reduced $400 to $2395
396 - reduced $400 to $1795
296 - reduced $300 to $1195​

That begs the question...
What do they have in store for Oshkosh?​

Last edited:
prices

I just got an email from JA Air Center with the same new price information. Something big must be up ????

Kyle Boatright said:
Rumor is, they are coming out with the 596.

It controls the weather for you. ;-)

Maybe Stormscope? Though, I can't see the need for it if you have XM weather.

Active/Passive Traffic??

Only thing missing on the 496 that I'd see needing is traffic reporting and not just the patch through from a 330 transponder that works over 10% of the country.

My friends 172 has an active TCAS. 10 grand and as far as I can tell worth every penny. It's called traffic many a time that I couldn't pick up until much closer than I'd like. Really makes me sceptical of "see and avoid" which is just slightly more valuable than "duck and cover".

grantcarruthers said:
Active/Passive Traffic?? Only thing missing on the 496 that I'd see needing is traffic reporting and not just the patch through from a 330 transponder that works over 10% of the country.
Traffic would be great but it couldn't be reliably delivered over the XM satellites. The XM data averages 6 minutes old. Some other method of traffic detection would be very cool though.

Is it possible they aren't coming out with anything, and are just positioning themselves against competitors who are?

Don't get me wrong, I like the products , but it would be nice to see them knocked off of their pedestal, and good for the consumers.

No that's my point, it wouldn't be an xm product. I'm not aware of any kind of xm traffic. It would require additional antenna(s) as all the active and passive TCAS type units do. The passive ones pick up transponder pings when set off by ground radar while the active ones like on the 172 I borrow actively interrogate transponders within range (7-10 miles).

I doubt the 596 is getting anything like this but it's the only thing missing on the 496 that I'd see as big news or a big new capability. Maybe they'll prove me wrong and I won't be able to live without the 596??? I am curious as heck though as to what the new capability will be.

jmbaute said:
Is it possible they aren't coming out with anything, and are just positioning themselves against competitors who are?

Don't get me wrong, I like the products , but it would be nice to see them knocked off of their pedestal, and good for the consumers.
Supposedly Lowrance is coming out with weather for the 2000c. If true, Garmin will have a lot more competition. Consumers will find it hard to justify $2300 when Lowrance is doing the same thing for much, much less.

I heard that the 596 will have a telepathic user interface. You just think of the place you want to go and it will plot your course including WX.

The voice in my head told me so...

I would like the 596 to be a price (greatly) reduced 496, with free 28 day cycle database updates.

Last edited:
596 rumor

I heard the big secret on the 596, is the new FSS/SI buttons?

1st you press the "FSS" button, this automatically enters your flight plan into the system. Then after repeated attempts to open that plan which they can"t locate, You can press "SI" (short for SHOVE IT), This sends an immediate email to the FAA stating your disapproval of the current system. :D

I heard somewhere (maybe here) that it will have the comm radio built in and victor airways added.

To be honest, a better display would be nice. The current horizontal format is a carry-over from their automotive products and a vertical format is more useful for aviation. A larger screen would be good too.

There are traffic avoidance systems out there, but I wonder if those are close enough to Garmin's core business that they would want to take the time to integrate the functionality.

Garmin prices

Just glad I waited. The 596 will have to shine to persuade me to buy it instead of the new, cheaper 496! Bill

As a whacky data point... It was mid july when the annouced the 496, so y'all will only have to wait until then to find out. :)

I think there are 2 strategies for announcing a price reduction. a) it incents people to buy because garmin is trying to clear out the retail channel to make room for a new model or b) they don't have anything in the pipeline and want to drive demand to make their stock performance numbers and are using a price reduction and OSH to do that....

If I were a betting man, my bet would be on the later, I doubt there is a new model in the works for OSH.

:D

Last edited:
Here's my take on a possible new 596 unit.

Simple answer, ADS-B.

Same exact device as the 496, but with an interface to a GDL-90 "like" device, a small unit that would replace the XM Antenna and use ADS-B to get FIS-B and TIS-B... of course an uncertified unit, like the GPS itself which is not certified.

Of course I could be totally wrong, but I like to think that Garmin can also try to push new technologies on the market and change people mindset. They've done it already with XM, they could do it again with ADS-B by lowering the price bar, methinks.

Garmin will surely try to squeeze the x96 product line as long as possible, and since the biggest market they have is the Marine market, take a look to the Marine product line and look at the GPS with big screens and maps... most like the successor to the 496 already exists hardwarewise, it's just a matter of coding the firmware with the aviation stuff in...

http://www8.garmin.com/marine2007/index.html

Ciao, Luca

I'd like to see the prices come down on the Garmin stuff too. I really like their products. I must say though I'm skeptical that any price reduction will be permanent or even long time. I used to salivate over a Garmin GNC 250XL. I had been wanting one since all the way back to 1997. Then, the advertised price of that unit was $2795. Today the advertised price is... $2795. and some offer it at $2895! I don't understand why. I don't see or hear of anyone even looking at these things anymore with the new stuff that has come out.

lucaberta said:
... take a look to the Marine product line and look at the GPS with big screens and maps...
Absolutely, Garmin could release a "big screen" aviation GPS tomorrow (ok, in a few months) if they wanted. It wouldn't cost really any more and would have very positive implications for human interface issues.

However, why would they? They already have big screen solutions - GMX200 (ex-MX20), G600 and G1000/G900. The marketing people probably think that a big screen portable would take sales away from the higher priced units. This reminds me of the old Dilbert, where he is transferred to Marketing. He goes down this looooong hallway where be comes upon a greek looking facade with columns and a sign on top: "Welcome to Marketing", below that "Two drink minimum". ;)

the_other_dougreeves said:
This reminds me of the old Dilbert, where he is transferred to Marketing. He goes down this looooong hallway where be comes upon a greek looking facade with columns and a sign on top: "Welcome to Marketing", below that "Two drink minimum". ;)

:D I think that was the sign in marketing at Rockwell when I worked there. Rockwell's other marketing slogan was "can't you make it look attractive?"

dan said:
I don't know about any of that. I just want an MP3 player in there...

Now that would be cool, sometimes, I just can't find anything I want to listen too on the 250 XM channels... :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm serious....I really do take my iPod instead sometimes, because it has the songs I want to fly to....put a bunch of extra memory in the x96 so you can upload your "favorites", and that would be cool...woudl I pay $500 for it? Hmmm.....

Ironflight said:
put a bunch of extra memory in the x96 so you can upload your "favorites", and that would be cool...woudl I pay $500 for it? Hmmm.....

I would like to see an SD/microSD-type slot that would allow you to download your track data and have it store your tunes. It's getting cheap, cheap, cheap. I picked up a one gig card for my phone for 30 bucks yesterday.

Satellite imagery would be cool too. Memory is getting so cheap it isn't hard to do. There may not be much practicality to the satellite imagery, but it would certainly be interesting to have.

For IFR work it would be nice to be able to visualize the terrain you're over in case of engine failure.

Jamie said:
...Satellite imagery would be cool too. Memory is getting so cheap it isn't hard to do. There may not be much practicality to the satellite imagery, but it would certainly be interesting to have.

For IFR work it would be nice to be able to visualize the terrain you're over in case of engine failure.
Both these features are presently on the 396 and 496. The 496 has more detailed terrain.

I would like to see fewer cords but some of the additional features could actually add cords.

Dear Mr. Garmin:
Stop adding functions at this point and cost reduce what you have. Call it the 496CR. Give something back to aviation instead of always squeezing the last drop$$ out.

1. Larger screen, allow orientation in the 'threat' direction.
2. Memory is cheap. Add more so that ALL airports can be loaded
3. Memory is cheap. Pass this on to your loyal customers by using an industry standard flash card:
-Garmin: "512 MB data card, $ 189.99 USD "
-Industry: "2GB SD card , $ $29.84
4. Have a bundled software package that works well with the GPS being sold. That is, if I buy an Aviation portable, when I open the flight planning (mapping) software, it shows all the data that the GPS knows about (airspace, waypoints, airports, etc). Then I can plan a flight and save it to file OR save it to GPS OR file it.
5. You can keep the MP3 unless it is used to allow better or varied voice alerts.

Last edited:
n5lp said:
Both these features are presently on the 396 and 496. The 496 has more detailed terrain.
The satellite imagery isn't there, just a DEM (digital elevation model). You have no idea if you're over a subdivision or a farm. That was more of my point. But yeah, you're completely right about terrain features.

Jamie said:
The satellite imagery isn't there, just a DEM (digital elevation model). You have no idea if you're over a subdivision or a farm. That was more of my point. But yeah, you're completely right about terrain features.
From Garmin Smart Antenna Manual https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-00578-00&cID=156&pID=6426
"Satellite Mosaic displays infrared composite images of cloud cover taken by geostationary weather satellites. The Satellite Mosaic provides up to seven levels of cloud cover." Yes it is digital and is a composite but still seems and looks like blocky imagery. You may be be using some definition of imagery I'm not familiar with, could you explain about what a digital elevation model is, that sounds more like what is on the terrain page.

Yes you don't know if you are over houses or not, but the terrain is very good to me, especially on the 496, I can see the mountains, canyons, flat areas. Seems real useful.

Touch screen

What do you need satellite imagery for? Just look out the window. It is after all a VFR device. :)

As for non TIS traffic, this is already available for the 396/496 from Zaon. This passive traffic device emulates the Garmin TIS protocol generated by the 330 transponder and feeds it to the 396/496.
xrx_front_large.jpg

http://www.zaonflight.com/content/view/1/12/

The incremental nature of Garmin products and suggest that a 596 will have the functions of a 496 in the form factor and additional features of a Nuvi 660 (MP3, SD-reader, road navigator, travel assistant, media player, touch screen etc). A 5" X 3" sized unit with a 3.81"W x 2.25"H screen of 480 x 272 pixels resolution. The display size of the 496 is 3.2"W x 2.1"H with a resolution of 480 X 320. Touch screen frees up so much more space to devote to screen area and allows menuing to be soooo much more flexible.

cf-lg.jpg

I have a Nuvi 360 and LOVE it for ground navigation and as a MP3 player and travel assistant. If I could have this same device and be able to use it as an aviation portable, that would be SWEET!

w1curtis said:
What do you need satellite imagery for? Just look out the window. It is after all a VFR device. :)

For the reason I stated. It's not a VFR device. It's an information device. No it's not approved for IFR approaches but I would say it's probably much more value to an IFR pilot than an VFR pilot. My friend who flies a corporate CRJ uses a 496 extensively.

Larry: I wasn't being very clear. I meant satellite ground photos a la google maps. Some non-aviation GPS units are already supporting this stuff. Like I already said, it's of limited value but pretty easy to implement.

w1curtis said:
As for non TIS traffic, this is already available for the 396/496 from Zaon. This passive traffic device emulates the Garmin TIS protocol generated by the 330 transponder and feeds it to the 396/496.

I looked at Zaon's page but didn't see an explanation on how the XRX works. Does it receive a feed from something or does it have it's own sensor of some sort?

The reason that the XRX box has the hump on top is to hide the four antennas. Anywhere Map now has an interface box for the XRX to display traffic on their moving map.

Jim

flybill7 said:
I looked at Zaon's page but didn't see an explanation on how the XRX works. Does it receive a feed from something or does it have it's own sensor of some sort?
This is a Passive Collision Avoidance System (PCAS), that is, it listens to the transponder transmissions of surrounding aircraft (which includes the altitude if mode C) and determines the distance and direction from the signal strength and direction. This unit includes an internal altimeter and compass to calculate altitude separation and target relative direction. See page 18 of the manual.

The downside to this system is that it will not detect aircraft with failed or without transponders , nor will it give altitude deltas if aircraft is only reporting mode A.

I would like the weather capability. I currently have the 3600a and absolutely love it. I turned OFF all terrane and alerts. I generally fly 500 to 1000ft off, I don't go higher unless it is too rough at the lower. I might go up to nose bleed level if I need cooler temps or a jet streem to give me a nice push and get to my destination sooner. I can fly 20ft off the tops of trees and land no problem around trees, those terrain alerts are for those that can't judge things. Not me, I fly through the mountains not over them, unless the winds are too high and of course visability. I fly into back country fields all the time. I like the ability of my 3600a to put the approach track on screen so that I can fly off to the right or left to stay out of landing traffic for a given runway, I delay my turn in for final until the last possible moment for that possiblility of a straight in that was NOT announced. Off the box. Next. Oh! I love flying out the WINDOW.

Garmin GPS with iPhone like interface -- no more buttons.

Nah, that would be heck in turbulence.

I'm thinking it will be 3d terrain.

svanarts said:
Nah, that would be heck in turbulence.
Why? Try it!

While knobs are best in turbulence, buttons such as what's on most portables are the worst. The trick with a touch screen is to not let your hand float freely over the unit. In the worst turbulence you can still have precise control by anchoring your hand, usually with the pinkie to the unit case, and then using your index finger. When your hand is anchored, it doesnt matter what motion the rest of your body is experiencing, you still have precise control with the index finger.

Top Gun

dan said:
I don't know about any of that. I just want an MP3 player in there...

Music would be great to have during a dogfight...
Enjoyed flying with you in Brownwood.

RV8iator said:
Music would be great to have during a dogfight...
Enjoyed flying with you in Brownwood.
Ah, maybe that would have given me an advantage. Until next time... :)

No 596

Kyle Boatright said:
Rumor is, they are coming out with the 596.

It controls the weather for you. ;-)

Recieved this from Skygeek.com today.
How low can you go??

The Garmin execs must have had quite the time doing the limbo at the company picnic this year and *GASP* lowered their prices on their most popular models!

Check out SkyGeek?s new lower pricing on GPSMap 496, 396, 296, 196, and 96C.

And no, folks, this is not in preparation for the unveiling of a new GPSMap 596 model at Oshkosh, sorry?we have it straight from the horse?s mouth there will be no new portables this year from Garmin. And we trust the horse?s mouth a lot more than the other end

An EPIRB!

Too bad Garmin didn't think of that little addition to their 496...

They could have leapfrogged their competitors once again and once again pushed the pricebar higher if they'd introduced EPIRB functionality on their 496...it's already plugged in, it already has a signal...just push a two button combination or something like that and it starts transmitting your GPS coordinates on 406!!!

I'd buy it! But... today, I just bought a Revere McMurdo Fastfind Plus portable (11 oz) EPIRB for 535.00

Good move Bob

Travelling out in the wilderness in Wyoming last week, it sure was peace of mind having that PLB between the seats with a Wife ready to pounce on it the moment I said the dreaded "E" word!

Hopefully the 406 ELT's will come down in price over the next few years and volume goes up.

Cheers

Frank

AvMap EKP-lV XM Weather

Rumor has it, that AvMAP's EKP-lV at only $1,495.00 will have XM weather very soon. Said they should have a prototype by OSH. Anyone hear the same.

Bill
RV-7A-QB
75%

Back