What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avmap EKP VI

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I am looking for any pireps from users of the AVMAP EKP IV.

I am primarily interested in it for the moving map function,--- brightness, off axis visibility, contrast etc. It will also be used as a backup input to the auto pilot.

It will have to be mounted to the right of the radio stack--------will it still easy to see from the left seat???

Or, should I just put in a map/glove box?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
I have used and installed the Av-Map in several planes now. You will be hard pressed to find an easier moving map GPS. It is very clear in the sun light and very easy to read. It is also one of the most user friendly GPS's out there to use. Most people don't need the instruction book to get it up and running. It will drive the autopilot also. All functions are easy to use with out referring to the manual. I am putting one in the RV-7 that I am currently building along with a dual GRT system.

AvMap IV

I have an AM IV in my 9A mounted just right of the center stack in the vertical position. It is plenty bright for everything I have tried. It does seem to be slightly brighter when viewed from the left, as it is in my setup. Off-axis to the right isn't quite as bright. It is so easy even a CFII can use it. I love it.

Bob Kelly

Thanks

Bob, Norm, Thanks for the input---------this is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I am looking for a moving map to complement my dual GRT and TruTrack A/P setup.

The GRT will be the main source for the A/P, and the AVMAP will be the back up.

For me, the main purpose of the AVMAP is kind of a "electronic sectional"-----I want to be able to look at a display, and be able to reference it to what I am seeing out the window.

Mike

Anyone else, or should I just let this thread fade awwwwaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy

OOH, the spell checker did not like that one.

Mike

Sure wish it had XM weather. A lot of us now think of it as a must for a new panel.

Being the sort who brings along paper maps, I've never looked at the databases very much. Do I understand correctly that an AvMap Jepp update for the Americas costs $85 every 28 days? How does that compare with updates for a 496?

DanH said:
Sure wish it had XM weather. A lot of us now think of it as a must for a new panel.

Being the sort who brings along paper maps, I've never looked at the databases very much. Do I understand correctly that an AvMap Jepp update for the Americas costs $85 every 28 days? How does that compare with updates for a 496?
I think the possibility of XM Weather by Osh has been mentioned. But......
$85 for an Americas update??? I think even $35 is too much for what is a mostly publically created & funded database.

Updates

Wow, I hadn't thought of that-----------

But then, I am a day VFR type of guy.

How important are the updates to someone like me??? Are they only a must for IFR stuff, or ?????

As long as I keep a current sectional, and have my Pilots Guide (which is updated) along, and the AVMAP is not a "Primary" instrument, will I be O.K. to do updates yearly or so.

Any FAA issues here?

Thanks guys. The knowledge base out there is truly amazing.

Mike

Once a year

I get my EKPIV updated once a year for about $70, but I also keep current charts available in the plane.

Yep

mikegraycmg said:
I get my EKPIV updated once a year for about $70, but I also keep current charts available in the plane.

I am thinking along the same lines-----------glad I am not alone with the idea.

Thanks,
Mike

Interested Also

mikegraycmg said:
Is this a single 28 day Jepensen update??

<<Is this a single 28 day Jepensen update??>>

Website says "Jeppsen Americas" is $78 per 28 day cycle, but I assume it doesn't give you a blank screen if you don't update. They also offer a $200 update that includes "Worldwide Background, Worldwide Land elevation, and Road Network (AND) for North, Central and South America"....whatever that means.

DanH said:
<<Is this a single 28 day Jepensen update??>>

Website says "Jeppsen Americas" is $78 per 28 day cycle, but I assume it doesn't give you a blank screen if you don't update. They also offer a $200 update that includes "Worldwide Background, Worldwide Land elevation, and Road Network (AND) for North, Central and South America"....whatever that means.
Probably the cost is greater due to the CF card. They must send you the update on a CF card.

Question 2: These can be used in the 'portrait' or 'landscape' display orientation mode, right?

GrayHawk said:
Question 2: These can be used in the 'portrait' or 'landscape' display orientation mode, right?

According to their advertising--- yes.

Based on reports on this thread, and others I have talked to, I have ordered one, will post my impressions after I play with it for a while.

Mike

I had an EKP IV for a short time. I found the interface took a little getting used to. Maybe I'm too Garmin-centric. The display was excellent. I flew with it strapped to my leg in my RV-4. I just found that I was looking down too much so I sold it for something I could mount a little higher on my panel. It does work in either portrait or landscape, that's why the buttons are labeled at odd angles--so they are readable in either orientation. I found having the HSI and moving map on the same page was my favorite way to use it. Another downside in my opinion was the need for an external GPS antenna. I wish the GPS were internal with the option for an external antenna. This is probably only a big deal if your wearing your GPS as I was.

So bottom line (for me):
Pro: Large, viewable display (great in a side-by-side RV)

Con: Too big for an RV-4 (or else wear it on your leg)
External GPS antenna with loooong cable.
Expensive updates

Scott, thanks for the info----------I plan on mounting high in the -10 panel, just to the right of the radios-------using an airgizmo dock.

Should negate a couple of the issues you had with the knee board config.

Mike

Yep, for an RV-10 you should be very happy with the unit. There really wouldn't be that many negatives in a larger airplane. The price of the updates would be the only drawback I could think of.

Forgot to say in my review above was that the EKP-IV has about the best daylight readable display I've seen on a GPS. The more sunlight the better. Viewing out of direct sunlight with the backlit display is just as nice. I think you'll be pleased with it.

Last edited:
GREAT

Scott, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear---------

As I said earlier, this site is a wonderful source for info, great knowledge base.

With almost 300 viewings, it seems that there are a few others out there who are curious about this unit.

Thanks to all. Makes it a bit easer to reach for the credit card-------------

Mike

Last edited:
AVMAP

I am considering one of these units to compliment the GRT Sport, in lieu of a 496. You can almost buy two of these units for the price of a 496. Although the 486 does have more features its screen size would seem limiting.

Someone mentioned an airgizmo dock, so I assume that there is a way to mount the unit in the panel?

Can you also use it in your car when it is not in your plane?

I have panel mounted several of these units. You cut a hole to fit the back of the unit. Use the knee board that come with it and make two z channels to rivet on to the knee board. These will clamp the unit in the panel nice clean installation and next to no cost.

No I am sorry I don't. The rectanglular hole that you need to cut out is the size the av-map is on the back side about 1/8 inch smaller than the outside measurements. You also have to much a very small notch on one end for the data card. After you place the unit into the panel with the knee clip installed, where the velcro goes you put the z channels that you make there. Removed the velcro and use a couple of pop rivets to hold the metal on. The Z channels have to be the right depth in order to clamp the av-map to the panel. I hope this explains it well enough to you. I will try and get some pictures if you still need them. I will be installing another one this week in an RV7 panel.

I got a picture

This is the unit that Norman described. It is in my 9A. The avmap works really well. I did not read the manual.. and was able to get it working. Simple menus.

Well, I have to confess that I am trying to be cheap and "borrow" some new update data for the database of the Avmap from my friend. I thought why not copy the updated CF card and paste it on a generic CF card.....it did not work. The CF card from Avmap contains a file that is copy proof I guess. Only CF cards that are provided by Avmap will work properly.... :rolleyes:

I am please with the unit and I had it dimmed to the very minimum for night flying. No problems at all with the bright sunlight. Lots of emergency functions like nearest airport at the push of a button, Frequencies, diagrams.
My Avmap is mounted horizontally and I have the right side programmed for the electronic DG/"HSI", since I don't have a DG in my plane.

Hi Pete,
Do you have any details on the installation. I'm just getting ready to cut my panel in a 7 and am installing an AVMAP

Ok here is how to mount the Av-Map GPS.

Cut a hole in you panel so that only the back portion sticks thru. Make sure you cut the notch for the data card. The hole should be approximately 1/16 inch smaller on each side.
Take two pieces of 3/4 inch angle approx. 3 5/8 inches long cut one leg down to 5/8 inches. You may have to adjust this measurement according to the thickness of your panel.
Take the knee pad and use two CS4 pop rivets to fasten the angles with to the recesses in the sides of the knee pad. Make sure the rivet heads are on the inside and just inside of the velcro(or what ever the proper name for the stuff they use). Rivet the 3/4 inch side to the knee pad.
Place the GPS into the panel and then install the knee pad. This will act as the retainer to hold the GPS to the panel.
The installation is cheap and will with stand any turbulance the plane can safely fly in and will not come out pulling 4.5 g's.
There you go now you know how I have installed about six of these units in RV's. No big bucks for commercially made mounts.

Give me a couple of days

I will post some pictures how it looks like. This is Norman's design. I just have to go to the airport and make the pictures. Start making the hole for the AVMAP precisely. and then you will be ready for the bracket.

EKP VI vs Flight Cheetah

Anyone compare the differences between EKP VI and the Flight Cheetah 190?
Flight Cheetah has xm weather option and a cool automatic winds aloft and flight level performance feature. However, would be nice if anyone has any real world experience with the two systems.

aj

This is an apples to oranges comparison.

You need to compare the AVMAP to the Cheetah 210

The 190 not nearly as bright.

I long ago used AvMaps first offering a black and white screen moving map. It was marvelous. I am assuming the current product is far superior.

Usually if something is far less expensive than something else there is a reason.

What are the advantages/ differences between the Avmap and the much cheaper Airmap 2000c?

They seem to be very close design-wise as opposed to the Garmin offerings.. :confused:

First impressions

Well, I went ahead and bought an AVMAP EXP IV, based on your reports, and a few phone calls.

It arrived yesterday, so I have had a few hours to play with it.

I like it.!!!!!!!!!!

As previously stated, BIG, bright and easy to see. Which was my number 1 concern. In addition, easy to use, buttons all labeled and a "joystick" type cursor control. It is designed to use the plane's power, and has backup rechargeable batteries-----you supply----that stay charged through normal use.

In conversations with GRT tech support this morning, it seems that the AVMAP will intergrate with GRT's units just fine, as well as be a backup input for the autopilot, using a "gps A/gps B" switch.

Although the info about a home brew panel mount was good,(Thanks Norman) my wife wants the AirGizmo dock.--------OH, well, another .01% of the total cost..........

Mike

Last edited:
I imagine that if this is in front of the right hand seat on the panel, that it needs some tilt to the left to be clearly visible.

I would be looking to put one on the RHS of an affordable panels modular setup, so this is quite far out on the right. Would it be OK over there???

Justin--------as my plane is not flying at this time, all I could do was hold the AVMAP up in the position I was pondering, it seems to be a non-issue as to viability where I had it. I am going to be putting a photo of my panel up in the RV-10 forum soon--------please take a look.

Mike

Tilt

justinmg said:
I imagine that if this is in front of the right hand seat on the panel, that it needs some tilt to the left to be clearly visible.

I would be looking to put one on the RHS of an affordable panels modular setup, so this is quite far out on the right. Would it be OK over there???

I originally tilted mine, but went back to mounting it straight with the panel. It is vertical and is brightest when viewed either straight on or from the left. Brightness drops off when viewed from the right. Looks to me like they planned it that way. IMHO, tilt is not needed.

Bob Kelly

From the point of view of aesthetics and symmetry, I would mount it horizontally to match the EFIS on the left. Hopefully the view would be just as good.

Hi Guys,

I have the Avmap and like it a lot...I don't want to hijack the thread but have 2 Questions though and it is related?

1) What PC software do you use to make planning and waypoints additions easier with your AVMAP.

2) Does anyone know of an online forum to get more operational information on it and FAQs.

Any help appreciated
Thanks, Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
justinmg said:
From the point of view of aesthetics and symmetry, I would mount it horizontally to match the EFIS on the left. Hopefully the view would be just as good.

I thought a lot---A LOT about doing this, was also thinking about replacing one of the GRTs with the AVMAP, and putting the GRT on the right. (I even started a thread asking for input from the folks already using these things.) I also considered putting the AVMAP horizontally with a glove box under it.

In the end, my decision was based on the fact that the vert orientation displays more area in the direction of flight than the horz mounting does.

Mike

Yoke Mount?

I am currently fly Warrior rentals to keep my flying skills in tune (while saving for an RV-7A Quick Build). Has anyone used the EKP IV as a yoke mount? If so, in your opinion, is it a practical application? Concerned about the size Vs view of panel and the weight of the unit, etc.

I would like to purchase a GPS unit that I can eventually mount with an Air Gizmo panel mount.

Mike

Back