What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is Craig of Catto Props still alive?

kevinsky18

Well Known Member
I've heard a few people say that as of late they can't get a hold of Craig. I sent him an e-mail a week and a half ago letting him know I would be interested in a prop and he never got back to me.

Is he still around? Is he still delivering props? When was the last time anyone heard from him?

I sent him an email late last week and he replied the next day. I haven't yet heard from him about my follow up email and I just assume he's busy as has been discussed on here before.

--Ken

I spoke with him by phone about a month ago after he didn't answer one of my emails. He said he was having trouble with one of his email addresses not working right. Apparently he never received my email.

I think the good email address for him is [email protected] and the bad email address is [email protected]. I could have it backwards, though.

Catto

kevinsky18 said:
I've heard a few people say that as of late they can't get a hold of Craig. I sent him an e-mail a week and a half ago letting him know I would be interested in a prop and he never got back to me.

Is he still around? Is he still delivering props? When was the last time anyone heard from him?

Craig is still alive and slaving away. He's swamped with orders.

He's shipping my prop this Wednesday.

He recently had a shipping problem too (not his fault).
Seems that after 10 years, the shipper, he had been using, refuses to ship the 3 blade props anymore. I'm sure that's not what he needed right now.

I believe he gives priority to the guys that "need it right now".

Sometimes email falls through the cracks, but overall, I've had no trouble at all in contacting him, especially by phone.

He's a great guy, seems to be very ethical and is great to talk to. I believe the problem is that he is just overwhelmed with work. It's been that way for a year, that I know of.

It's frustrating, but if the prop turns out as as good as everyone I've contacted (to a man) says it is, it'll be worth it.

Give him a call

I've only ever reached him over the phone. You might need to try at a few different times. He really is a nice guy once you get a hold of him.

-Rick

Ray: Got an e:mail and Craig said he was shipping this week. Maybe he's shipping mine in place of yours. Just kidding. RV9A is ready for prop. Most electrical is done. Just odds and ends. Ready to fire up.

Ron Russ
Twin GRT Sport, Trio, 496, no steam

rv8180 said:
He recently had a shipping problem too (not his fault).
Seems that after 10 years, the shipper, he had been using, refuses to ship the 3 blade props anymore. I'm sure that's not what he needed right no

This does not surprise me. He has been using the US Postal Service. When I had to send my three-blade back to him for re-pitching, I had a HECK of a time getting it back out to him. The post office in Green Bay WI would not send it because it was "over-sized"....EVEN THO IT WAS SHIPPED TO ME VIA US POSTAL SERVICE!!!

I tried UPS, DHL. FedEx. All of them refused to ship due to size restrictions! So I had to shell out over $300.00 to get it out there to him.

Guess how I got it back.....US POSTAL SERVICE!!!!! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can only assume that shipping costs have gone up for Craig and he will have to pass that on to his customers.

Hang in there with the wait guys....its worth it.

Regards,

Craig is #1, but he lives way out in the middle of nowhere. Use his number on the website. He has a daughter going to school at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, so could be out of town a couple of days. But he is the nicest guy, and makes beautiful props. I could do a fly by over his house and drop a note for you? :D

craig catto

I use the phone number also and have had luck reaching him. I have had two props both were excellent. Craig has always been very nice and helpful!

Responded to my questions about spinner w/in 24 hours...

I queried about my delivery time (October) and getting the spinner from him as well and he responded to my email within 24 hours...

aww man

id like to have a catto prop but man the wait is unbearable. i e-mailed him over a week ago and no response.... looks like he needs to share his building talents with a prot?g?....looks like a sensenich will have to do. :( only two weeks there :D

Craig Catto

Craig is alive and well and trying to have a normal life despite his popularity with every homebuilder group on earth, including the RV crowd! I'd have nothing else on my Long EZ and will wait for whatever is necessary for the RV.
He is currently building a prop for a fellow that broke his and is in dire straights to get back up quickly as his interim costs keep clicking away. He's that kind of guy. Have a little patience and do use his new email. Remember Gary quit building his beautiful props because he got swamped, a lot of people complained and wanted to have a life..... :cool:

Catto

Hi all, I talked to Craig yesterday after weeks of calls and e-mail. Said he has is swamped since sun n fun. Did say i was #1 for delivery and i hope to see a tracking # in a day or so :D

rv8180 said:
He's shipping my prop this Wednesday......

The prop arrived, as promised, in spite of a last minute problem with Catto's shipper (for the last ten years!)

What a work of art! Really a beautiful prop.
It's a shame that the Saber prop extension will be covered up too! That is another work of art.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Craig is a regular guy

Here's a tip for the Internet generation; If you want instant answers via email and/or operators standing by to take your call, then you probably don't want to buy from Craig Catto. I bought my prop from him and would not hesitate to buy another from him. Anyone who has seen his props will attest that they are works of art and tough as nails. But be forwarned that Craig is a one-man show and isn't chained to his computer or his telephone. He is honest and will deliver but it won't be instant. He is a craftsman and his props are in high demand. And worth waiting for in my opinion.

rv8180 said:
What a work of art! Really a beautiful prop.
It's a shame that the Saber prop extension will be covered up too! That is another work of art.

You mean they let folks build airplanes in Jacksonville these days? :D

catto prop performance

There seems to be a pretty loyal catto following. While I would much rather deal with a true craftsman/artist than a big corp...has anyone here got any concrete proof that the performance is better? I read a van's article that I thought showed the Sens cheap prop was actually better than the mt big dollar ones. Not sure of Catto prices but Sens props seem pretty reasonable.
I am planning on a FP 1O-320. Just wondered if anyone had any test results or opinions. First plane, so FP is just fine. Three blades look great but for the extra cost will I gain any provable performance? Or is one just paying for the smaller shop, custom made, pretty prop?
Just trying to learn. Thanks.

Just as a perspective, I changed from a Sensenich wood (70 X 82) to Catto 3-blade (66 X 74). I wanted more takeoff. My takeoff roll shortened by 17%. My cruise stayed the same, 201 mph TAS at 8K', WOT, 2750 rpm.. RV-6, modified O-320, 9.5:1 comp. Bottom line cost is about the same as Sensenich metal.

Catto

I have a Catto 2 blade and find it to be excellent. I have a 160 HP O-320 Lyc and get numbers similar to Mel's. The only thing that I don't like is that rain requires 2200 RPM to keep from beating the paint/fiberglass off. I know that there is a leading edge material but have been told that it costs some in efficiency. Any thoughts on this from those that have used the leading edge protection?

Mel said:
Just as a perspective, I changed from a Sensenich wood (70 X 82) to Catto 3-blade (66 X 74). I wanted more takeoff. My takeoff roll shortened by 17%. My cruise stayed the same, 201 mph TAS at 8K', WOT, 2750 rpm.. RV-6, modified O-320, 9.5:1 comp. Bottom line cost is about the same as Sensenich metal.

Altho I have and love my Catto prop Mels experience sounds like the Sensenich was probably pretty much of a dog. Performance Props used to make some very good props back when, if things havent changed with them I'd certainly recommend giving them a try. I have one. My PP and Catto preform almost exactly the same, the Catto is prettier cause I had it painted to match the color scheme of my a/c.
Tom
RV3

Actually the Sensenich wood works very well at altitude. As a matter of fact, if you check Martin Sutter's numbers when he was doing the proto-type testing on the Sensenich metal, you'll see that the wood matched and in a few places exceeded the performance of the metal prop. The problem with the wood prop is that the wide blade planform loads the engine at the lower altitudes. My static rpm with it was 2050.

You are correct on a slight performance loss with the L/E tape applied - I lost about 1.5 KTS TAS. This is a small price to pay for the protection it affords - I have been cruising @ 2650 in light to moderate rain with no wear whatsoever

Thumbs Up!

Just got my three bladed back from Catto and am very happy with the prop. Craig's promised timeframe was right on - as well as the price and expected performance gain. They even repainted the tips with a pretty cool flare.... :)

Bob Richie
N9611C RV4
1TE4 Zuehl Airpark, TX

repitch

So for those of you who have sent props back to Craig to get repitched... two questions.

- How long has it taken (total turn time)?
- How did you ship it?

Thanks!

I sent mine back to make a very minor adjustment--to give me an additional 25-40 rpm on take off. I also had him refinish it at the same time to colors which better match my plane. It took one month and I sent it via Greyhound bus----US Postal (who originally delivered it to me), UPS, and Fed Ex all said it was too big for them to ship.

Cheers,

db

Got a 2-blade from him two weeks ago. Lovely prop, works perfectly right out of the box. Couldn't ask for more!

CATTO PROP

I received my CATTO PROP yesterday June 12, 07. It's really a piece of art. I didn't get my spinner back with it but I assume it's going to be shipped separate.

Ron Russ RV9A, duel sport, Trio Auto, 496

Pitch

Mel said:

Mel,

You are now running a 66 x 72 after sending in for a minor modification correct?

Got an update email from Craig Catto

It looks like my Catto prop will be here this month... and it looks like the manufacturing process for the RV three blade prop has been stepped up a couple of notches, as the three blabe now incorporates Craig's uni-carbon racing layup. I'm really excited now! :D SWEET!

<snip>

Hello Darrell,
Thanks for the update on things... The week of the 23rd is doable.. I have
built all new tooling for the RV three bladed props and now use my racing
layup schedules that includes some uni carbon for stiffness, yours will be
one of the new ones.
When I arrange for pickup, I will be able to forward a PDF file from the
shipper.
Regards,
Craig Catto

<snip>

Spinner

Avenger V said:
I received my CATTO PROP yesterday June 12, 07. It's really a piece of art. I didn't get my spinner back with it but I assume it's going to be shipped separate.

Ron Russ RV9A, duel sport, Trio Auto, 496

Ron,

Did your spinner arrive yet? If so, How did she look and fit the prop?

I got an update...

Craig emailed me an update. Despite changing from a RV9a to a RV7- he said October delivery still on schedule and suggested some things to customize to the RV7 paint scheme.

Looking forward to getting the prop!

Update

jcmcdowell said:
Craig emailed me an update. Despite changing from a RV9a to a RV7- he said October delivery still on schedule and suggested some things to customize to the RV7 paint scheme.

Looking forward to getting the prop!

It seems Craig may finally be seeing some daylight from his back log. As to my order... it's right on schedule as promised. :)

Back