What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maneuvering Speed and other Vspeeds of RV-10

not noted in the table, but Vans has stated that they consider the Vne number to be a TAS (true airspeed) number, not IAS, even though it is on the airspeed indicator. Note these are MPH not knots.
As Bob (other Bob) said, Vy is to be determined during phase 1 testing. Most people get something close to 89 Kias near sea level.
There are higher flap speeds for partial flaps. IIRC 95 Kias for about 18 deg flaps, no limits for flaps in trail. (It's hard to be precise because flap indicating mechanisms are up to the builder, so they can vary.)

I think the flaps 0 (not reflex) speed limit is 120 KIAS. On the left side of the VAF home page is a link to Pilot Operating Handbooks (POH) that you could have a look at and see what some people have come up with for flight test derived speeds.

==dave==
N102FM

I looked through the vans website and couldn't find flap numbers so just used what I have in my five year old POH - so if that has changed it would be good to update that and my brain. I will do a search through VAF later today but if you have a reference I'd appreciate it.

==dave==
N102FM

Flap speeds, Vne TAS

The last section of the RV-10 Construction Manual is entitled "Final Inspection and Flight Test." Page 21, last paragraph, lists flap speeds:

"On the RV-10, 140 mph statute for "trail" (3 degree deflection), 110 mph statue for "1/2 flap" (18 degree deflection), and 100 mph statue for "full flap" (33 degree deflection)."

At Airventure this year, Scott McDaniels told me Van's is rewriting this section to remove the RV-10 "trail" speed restriction. Van's engineering, he said, has determined that flaps can be in reflex or trail (-3 degrees or zero degrees) up to Vne. Scott said that in the rewrite, Vans will also explicitly state that Vne is TAS, not IAS.

That's a *huge* distinction when you are flying high - it is quite easy to hit 201kts (TAS) in a fairly gentle descent, with IAS values that look benign.

TAS reference:
https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/hp_limts.pdf

Last edited:
The last section of the RV-10 Construction Manual is entitled "Final Inspection and Flight Test." Page 21, last paragraph, lists flap speeds:

"On the RV-10, 140 mph statute for "trail" (3 degree deflection), 110 mph statue for "1/2 flap" (18 degree deflection), and 100 mph statue for "full flap" (33 degree deflection)."

At Airventure this year, Scott McDaniels told me Van's is rewriting this section to remove the RV-10 "trail" speed restriction. Van's engineering, he said, has determined that flaps can be in reflex or trail (-3 degrees or zero degrees) up to Vne.

This is correct.
Edits are being worked on for all aircraft models and when they are released for the RV-10 and 14, the the flap speed limitation for the zero degree position will be removed.

Last edited:
Let me just say:

I intercept Vy when I take off (on the RV-10 I am most gratefully able to fly), until 600' AGL (return to field height for me).

Even after several hundred hours, the pitch attitude and rate of climb at Vy is awesome! :)

Last edited:
Back