What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt holes

SeanB

Well Known Member
Just starting to install Skybolts along the firewall. The aft trim line of the pink fiberglass is trimmed for the upper. I used the cleco inserts in the Skybolt tabs, back-lighted them, and drilled some 1/8" holes. I'm somewhat confused on the next steps...... Do I back-light those areas again (minus some of the cleco inserts) and trace the larger circle from the tabs onto the fiberglass? Then do my best to step drill inside that drawn circle? It seems the lighting can diffuse a bit while doing this and I fear not getting the best location for the full-sized holes.

Tips or comments greatly appreciated. Pics even better!

Thanks.

I think I understand your question. Mine are not Skybolt brand but something similar. What I did was to buy a precision piloted hole saw with a 1/8 pilot. I got mine from Travers tool. They have several types, mine has the ability to use different saws sizes. I got one for the socket and the other size for the male part. I hope this makes sense.

I just used a step bit and stopped every few steps to see alignment using the clecos adapter and walked the hole as necessary. Worked very well for me.

I think I understand your question. Mine are not Skybolt brand but something similar. What I did was to buy a precision piloted hole saw with a 1/8 pilot. I got mine from Travers tool. They have several types, mine has the ability to use different saws sizes. I got one for the socket and the other size for the male part. I hope this makes sense.

I can text you a picture of this tool if you need me to.

I just received my finish kit and have been watching this thread with interest. Vans recent fiberglass molds are gray so the backlight method doesn?t seem like it will work. Are there any workarounds to this issue?

Hey Mark,

Skybolt has a separate section in their directions for opaque cowlings. It seems you use magnets.

Back