What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Use for Aluminum Scrap

WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
I don't know about you, but I have made plenty of aluminum scrap over the course of this build. Strips of sheet, chunks of angle, hardware store stuff used for fixtures, you name it. Now the good larger pieces I always save for those odd projects. However, the rest used to go into the recycle can. Not any more, now I recycle at home.

Step one, make a mini metal forge
20151227_001859.jpg

Step 2, melt down all that leftover aluminum, throw some soda cans in there while you are at it.
20151229_154110.jpg

Step 3/4, cast a blank and machine it into something usefull. You can also try sand casting or just being silly like pouring molten metal into a watermelon...haha As a bonus, you can also use this as a blacksmith forge.

20160115_132437.jpg

Very interesting - then we can squeeze cast pistons like the Worlds Fastest Indian, Burt Munro, from Invercargill, New Zealand. Custom alloys too.

More info

I've been thinking about doing this. Can you give more info on the construction of your forge and how it is fired. I want to sand cast some metal badges for securing the cowl hinge pins but the only sand casting I've done was back in high school a long, long time ago.

You.ve got it. Pretty easy to do. I changed the dimensions a bit, but pretty much the same. For the crucible, I suggest a spun stainless steel cup from the camping or office supply store. The steel one I am using is not going to last much longer.

From my old shop days, I'm pretty sure that the zinc will come off if you use stainless. We used a cast iron container. Black pipe (or old sewage drain pipe from a plumbers scrap) might be the best easy to get solution.

From my old shop days, I'm pretty sure that the zinc will come off if you use stainless. We used a cast iron container. Black pipe (or old sewage drain pipe from a plumbers scrap) might be the best easy to get solution.

Thank you for the advice. I don't have much experience with this sort of thing. I was thinking stainless for the high melting point. Right now I am sing mild steel and it is oxidizing rapidly.

Intergranular Corrosion

What about intergranular corrosion from the different metals in the alloy of the sheet metal we use on our aircraft when you melt it down?

I can see how it can be melted down but the end result alloy will not be anything useful. It appear to me to be just a waist of time and energy. Please show me how I am wrong.

Last edited:
What about intergranular corrosion from the different metals in the alloy of the sheet metal we use on our aircraft when you melt it down?

I can see how it can be melted down but the end result alloy will not be anything useful. It appear to me to be just a waist of time and energy. Please show me how I am wrong.

I have no intention of using it for aircraft parts, unknown alloy, unknow heat treat, plenty of contaminates....just something fun to do. I have already made a very useful part with it, a new carriage wheel for my lathe. So, I guess that would make you wrong then.

Last edited:

Are you thinking of galvanized steel vs. stainless? I am unaware of any common stainless steels that have zinc as a significant component of the alloy.

Sure, if one limits the scope to aircraft then yes I would be concerned about not knowing the chemistry in the melt.

However, there are plenty of useful non-aviation things that can be made with cast aluminum of mysterious chemistry. I have fabricated items from cast lumps. Its fun. I still have a small vice I made 35 years ago. I use it because the aluminum jaws are soft by nature.

Assuming Colin made that handle from the casting, it looks like a fine job. I don't see any hydrogen porosity in the casting. Nice.

Thanks for posting this Colin. I might just fab up one of these foundries.

Last edited:
Sure, if one limits the scope to aircraft then yes I would be concerned about not knowing the chemistry in the melt.

However, there are plenty of useful non-aviation things that can be made with cast aluminum of mysterious chemistry. I have fabricated items from cast lumps. Its fun. I still have a small vice I made 35 years ago. I use it because the aluminum jaws are soft by nature.

Assuming Colin made that handle from the casting, I looks like a fine job. I don't see any hydrogen porosity in the casting. Nice.

Thanks for posting this Colin. I might just fab up one of these foundries.

I'd agree with all of this. I've been making little parts and things our of aluminum in my small machine shop for years. All the scrap I'm generating will eventually find its way to usefulness through this process...but not as airplane parts.

Back