What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about -8 QB Fuselage and Finishing kit..

jdmunzell

Well Known Member
Hi all, I've been signing posts for the past 10 years as " -8 wings still". I am now ready to move forward with the fuse order and thinking hard about doing the QB version to move things along now... I several questions...

First, what with all the prepunched holes in the standard kit, how much time am I really saving by ordering the "canoe", and further more, how much is left to do on the fuselage alone? This is begging the question also of should I also order the Finish kit with the QB Fuse, or is there enough to do yet on just the fuse to keep me busy for a little while?

Busy family life has created my long term build plan, and that has worked out just fine but now with airline retirement looming in two years (meaning...nothing to fly...), it's time to get this bird built!

Thots all.... oh yeah..then there's the engine and firewall forward...

Jeff
-8 wings still

I was unsure which way to go when I decided to start so I ordered only the empennage. My idea was to keep track of how much calendar time vs. how much build time it took me to complete the relatively simple structures. What I noticed looking over the build log is I got about one day every 10 or so days to work on the airplane and it took me 6 months to finish the empennage. With that data point I ordered the wings and fuselage as QB. If you have outside constraints on your time I would go QB.

If you have the set of preview plans with the complete build instructions you can find the place in the manual where the QB begins.

If your time is still restricted and the extra cost of double shipping is not a factor I wouldn't bother ordering the fuselage and finish kit together. There is enough to do on the fuselage to take up a fair amount of time.

If I had time I would have loved to build a standard build but I want to get it in the air and enjoy it.

QB fuse

I have built a -8 fuse and I'm well past the quick build stage. I would characterize the fuse build as a lot of work. If a quick build fits your budget I would recommend it. I don't regret building mine as the slow build approach fit my budget and goals but I think the quick build is a lot of bang for the buck.

I would have to review my order sheets to remember what came with the fuse vs. the finish kit but I think you are going to want to order the finish kit with the fuse or shortly thereafter.

I have a core engine so I am able to fit the firewall forward stuff during the fuse build. Worked well for me and with the amount of work forward of the firewall I'm glad I don't have a new engine waiting for me to complete this work. It might need an overhaul before the first flight :rolleyes:

Back