What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Construction about to start

duckguy

I'm New Here
Hey gang, I am about to start our new 72x72 hangar. It will have in-floor radiant, extending slightly past the door for easy snow removal. I am pretty much decided on a 65'x18' Higher Power. Small kitchen, bathroom and mechanical area. Epoxy floors and finished interior. What could I be missing that I may want to do/would be cool? Your suggestions on what to add or not to miss would be great.

Roll up drive through door (different from the main door) for easy access to indoor parking during inclement weather.

Since we built ours a couple of yeas ago, the biggest thing we realized is how many square feet of useful space we'll gain with a mezzanine - we'll be addign it in the near fuure - but we'll have to add some foudnation work becasue we didn't plan for it in advance.

Wireless remote door opener so you can open the hangar door before you shut down the engine.

While we're at it, add a cupola large enough for you to access from inside your hangar, so you can play "tower controller" or just contemplate the sunset with some guests. 😀

Mezzanine

Depending on the size/span of a mezzanine you might consider allowing for these point loads in the design of the rigid frames and/or end wall posts. Maybe even have them provide the appropriate holes and web stiffeners. This would allow hanging the mezzanine from the frames at a future date and preserving the valuable floor space.

Add a separate insulated workshop in one corner with large doors into the hangar.

Keep it at 8 to 10 ft high inside and it can have a second story room or storage above it.

Lights

Lights, lots of lights. Double whatever you thought you'd need. Put them on a couple of banks with independent switches.

Overhead compressor lines with a couple of drop downs. You can do a quick disconnects at the ceiling in a few locations and then use drop downs as needed.

Speakers all over. Set up for surround sound in your relaxation area.

Not cheap but with a hangar that big, give some thought to a fire suppression system. Insurance will be cheaper.

Good luck!!!

Basement

Consider making a portion of 72 x 72 hangar with a basement underneath. I know of someone who did this with an engineered subfloor and the results were very impressive. It's difficult to tell the main floor concrete from the engineered subfloor. There's a full stairwell leading downstairs and the basement area is really cool down there.

Lots of electrical outlets, retracting reels hung from the ceiling are nice too.

Air lines, and ditto the ceiling reels.

An idea I plan to copy from something Rosie does, is have movie nights. If you have a nice flat wall space you can paint white, and a place for the projector :D

Maybe need a popcorn machine ;)

Last edited:
What's missing?

Well, if I had this hanger, here's what I think is missing.

1. Cirrus
2. Extra 300

Jim

Party

If you are planning a party hangar, add a disco ball to the center of the ceiling.

I know it's very "70's" but it does give a neat effect when combined with LED party lighting. Several of the hangars on our Airpark have these. :)

UNDERGROUND ELECTRICAL CONDUITS!!!! From where your main electrical panel, conduits running underground to each wall in the hangar. Will help when you need to pull power from one side to the other without having to run power 'all-the-way-around' the inside along the walls. Also consider having a water spicket off the hangar for washing the plane so include some water PVC underground for that. I knew I wanted a car lift so I ensured I had 3000psi cement slab (or greater). The mezzanine idea is spot-on! I have a 7'x45' mezzanine that has all my 'stuff' I've collected over my lifetime that I just can't throw away...you know...stuff like all your ball caps & trophies from Little League, board games from the 60s & 70s, decorations to turn the hangar into a 50s sock-hop....STUFF!!! :D Rosie

house13.jpg

hangar68.jpg

Last edited:
A friend of mine built a very similar hangar with the intent of building a giant house behind it.

Instead he just put a small apartment up top and that's his house =) Livin the dream!

If you are planning a party hangar, add a disco ball to the center of the ceiling.

I know it's very "70's" but it does give a neat effect when combined with LED party lighting. Several of the hangars on our Airpark have these. :)

One of Gil's neighbors also has a karaoke stage in his hangar. :D

Back