What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly Away Tool Kit

algrajek

Well Known Member
Does anyone know who sells a complete(relative term!:))Fly away tool kit?
I had a really nice one that I got from a supplier on this site, but it went with my last airplane. Dumb mistake. Anyway I would like to find one that I don't have to put together.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Nordo

Avery Tools has good complete kits, but they're retiring and going out of business. Maybe you can get a clearance special!

I bought this one from ACS: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/cruztools12-03772.php?clickkey=1845451

ptk1.jpg

Just go to Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's or your favorite hardware store.

Buy what you need. It will be less expensive than buying a pre-made kit from a specialized aviation reseller.

Something I've noticed while doing a condition inspection is that some special tools are sometimes helpful/needed.

So, during my first inspection I made a list of those tools and they go in my travel bag with the standard wrench and screwdriver set.

For example, I use ratchet straps to support my lower cowl (A model) while removing or installing it. So the straps go in my travel kit.

Another is the small wrench for the #8 metal lock nuts on my engine adel clamps. These are not the basic 3/8 or 7/16 used everywhere else.

And my axle nut wrench just to name a few.

To minimize the weight, I only take the tools I absolutely need. So to me, buying a full kit from someone else may include items I would remove anyway.

Just go to Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's or your favorite hardware store.

Buy what you need. It will be less expensive than buying a pre-made kit from a specialized aviation reseller.

That's my plan. And I figure since my wife has the fancy sewing machine she wanted and loves to use it, sewing up a little custom made tool roll shouldn't be a problem. She can even put the registration number on it.

Something I've noticed while doing a condition inspection is that some special tools are sometimes helpful/needed.

So, during my first inspection I made a list of those tools and they go in my travel bag with the standard wrench and screwdriver set.

Ditto. I went to The Container Store and bought a plastic box about the size of a shoe box and I load it with my tool list when I fly any distance.

Back