What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie - help me decide which tools to get

I'm as green as one can be, in regard to building a project. I'm starting off with Van's Toolbox Kit before I commit to a RV build. The kit is ordered, now it's time to get the necessary tools. I'm starting this thread so I can get some input from you more experienced folks on specific tools that Vans says are required for this simple kit build.

First of all, I'm looking at rivet guns. From what I've read so far, it seems that if I'm going to buy only one, the 3x is the way to go. True?

I understand the Sioux rivet gun is higher quality than others. Is this generally true?

I'm partial to Cleveland Aircraft Tool, and see they offer only the Sioux 2x (not the Sioux 3x). Why would they not carry the Sioux 3x? (it may simply be because they don't want to carry it ... but figured I'd ask, in case I'm missing something ... other suppliers carry the Sioux 3x).

Brace yourself for a lot of elementary questions. I can get carried away with the details sometimes.

Thanks

Used tools

The Yard Store has a good selection of new and used tools.
Get their catalogue. Otherwise, Avery and Cleveland tool for a kit.

Scott,
Paraphrasing BillR - get tools what you want not what others tell you. Jokes aside pick up something used and affordable. You would be surprised how few tools you need for empennage. Don't get carried away with details buy the tail and start pounding those rivets. :D

Steve,
I'm in Litchfield Park (West Valley) a few miles west of Glendale airport. I'm building a 7. Working on the canopy now. You can bring your practice kit on a weekend and we can hammer it out in my garage. I have the Cleveland tool kit + some upgrades (squeezer) that your welcome to try out. This is only one vendor but most tools will be similar. Email me and we can work out the details. pazmany.ch at gmail dotcom

Tools are a very personal preference. If you can find some local airplane building buddies that have specialty airplane tools and would let you borrow one or show you how to use it, that would be good so you can decide what you like.

I wouldn't build an RV without a 2X gun. A 3X will have more potential to pound the heck out of the skins. The 2X is plenty big enough for 3/32" rivets and much easier to finesse, I think.

A pneumatic rivet squeezer is also one of the things I need, mostly because my hands aren't very strong and I have a hard time squeezing 1/8" rivets. But some guys go without. I also like the Avery Economy hand squeezer because the handles are small. The big fancy one is awkward for me.

Get a lot of clecos... better to have too many than not enough!!

See, you have a local buddy already. :D

Last edited:
Advise

Steve,
I'm in Litchfield Park (West Valley) a few miles west of Glendale airport. I'm building a 7. Working on the canopy now. You can bring your practice kit on a weekend and we can hammer it out in my garage. I have the Cleveland tool kit + some upgrades (squeezer) that your welcome to try out. This is only one vendor but most tools will be similar. Email me and we can work out the details. pazmany.ch at gmail dotcom

Best advise. Tools are very personal. Take the opportunity to experiment with a mentor then decide.

Tools

I got most of my tools from Isham http://www.planetools.com, I went ahead and got the entire RV Full Tool Kit. It's pretty expensive though, but so far have not had to purchase a whole lot of other special tools, besides, grinder, drill press (which i already had), Band Saw, & Vice. However, I did end up getting more clecoes, and obviously new bits as they dull. I also got some other dimple die sets as well.

I went full steam ahead from the beginning so it might not be the right fit for you, if you are still deciding.

My opinions

Rivet Gun - 3X for sure (Sioux probably not necessary). You can dial down the pressure to act like a smaller gun, but you can't dial up a smaller gun to act like a larger one.
Drill - Definitely a Sioux Palm Drill
DRDT2 Dimpler - Definitely better, IMHO, than a C-frame
Pneumatic Tools - This is based on your budget, but I'd say definitely get at least a pneumatic squeezer. I wouldn't want to build without one. Other pneumatics that are useful are: 90 degree drill, cleco runner, vacuum and pop rivet puller.

Call Cleaveland.....they can get you anything not in their catalog/website.

I'm partial to Cleveland Aircraft Tool, and see they offer only the Sioux 2x (not the Sioux 3x).

I bought all my tools from Cleaveland and loved every minute of the purchase process.....they helped me select the right tools for my project creating a custom tool kit for my RV-4 rebuild, and provided top-notch customer service ever since I received my order!

I also ordered the Sioux 3x.....they have it/can get it for you, it's just not in their catalog. My (3) favorite tools I got from Cleaveland are the Sioux 90-degree drill, the Sioux 3x Rivet Gun and Sioux 1/4" 3600rpm drill with Rohm Keyless Chuck.

Back