What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Pilot Android now has Terrain and Obstacles!

Well Known Member
Found an update notification on my phone this morning. Downloaded the latest Garmin Pilot app update and found that it now includes Obstacle and Terrain databases and displays!

I haven't been able to fly with it yet, so all my testing has been on the ground. Looking forward to trying it out in the air.

Also audible/voice warnings, that I'm hoping will be Bluetoothed to my headset along with my music! Nice little suprise when updating apps yesterday.

Ipad droid garmin

I finally bought an iPad after a couple years of using Garmin on android and glad I did. There are functions on IPad that are not on Droid like predictive flight planning. I think it will always be true that Garmin will host new features on iPad first and droid after if at all.

Terrain is NOT included

with the basic $79 annual subscription. Owners must step up to the premium subscription.

Called Tech Support......Terrain Alerts requires the premium add-on subscription

I have the basic subscription for Android and terrain and obstacles are included. $75 per year.
I just got off the phone with Mark at Garmin Pilot Tech Support and confirmed an issue that they are looking into.

The "Terrain & Obstacles" page should now available in the standard subscription, and the "Terrain & Obstacle Alerts" is available with the premium add-on subscription.

However, with my standard subscription running on a Nexus & with Android 5.1.1, when I go to the new "Terrain" page, I get "Subscription Required". :eek:

I'm not the first that called Tech Support and they are looking into it.

Now.......if we could just get the synthetic vision for the Android, I'd be a happy camper. Everytime I use my GDL-39 3D with Garmin Pilot on an Android device, I'm reminded I paid for something a year ago that I still can't use (I wasn't told Synthetic Vision wasn't available for Android until AFTER buying the 3D version of the GDL-39). :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with Mark at Garmin Pilot Tech Support and confirmed an issue that they are looking into.

The "Terrain & Obstacles" page should now available in the standard subscription, and the "Terrain & Obstacle Alerts" is available with the premium add-on subscription.

However, with my standard subscription running on a Nexus & with Android 5.1.1, when I go to the new "Terrain" page, I get "Subscription Required". :eek:

I'm not the first that called Tech Support and they are looking into it.

Now.......if we could just get the synthetic vision for the Android, I'd be a happy camper. Everytime I use my GDL-39 3D with Garmin Pilot on an Android device, I'm reminded I paid for something a year ago that I still can't use (I wasn't told Synthetic Vision wasn't available for Android until AFTER buying the 3D version of the GDL-39). :rolleyes:

I may have gotten lucky. I just purchased the IFR add-on earlier this month, when it was priced at $50/yr. I just looked and saw that the price is now $75/yr . I guess I just got in ahead of the increase.

I may have gotten lucky. I just purchased the IFR add-on earlier this month, when it was priced at $50/yr. I just looked and saw that the price is now $75/yr . I guess I just got in ahead of the increase.

Ahhhh...........that makes sense why the "Terrain & Obstacles" page works for you, since you have the IFR premium add-on subscription, which includes all of the VFR premium add-on subscription features as well as all the basic subscription features.

Well.......I'm looking forward to the fix so I can get to the "Terrain & Obstacles" page included in the basic subscription which is suppose to be included in the latest release. :)

Another thing I have noticed with this latest update is that it's significantly faster than previous versions. Scrolling and zooming in the map views is noticeably smoother and faster now.

it works. I updated and flew to some nearby towers and it posted correctly. now if I could get the FIS-B weather to work again. for some reason it is failed now. I sent a note to Garmin to see what they say. anyone else having this problem?

Back