What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A to 6 conversion

anyone know if vans sell a conversion kit with instructions?

I don't think Van's sells a "kit".....you just order the parts you need and install using the RV-6 builders manual. As far as step-by-step instructions, I doubt you will find that......but do a search and read your other 2 posts on the same topic/question (http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=101355 and http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=116053) .....lots of great info out there. The "SEARCH" button ROCKS!! :D

Van's runs into this frequently enough that they have a list of the necessary parts.

I did this conversion about a year ago and the 2 difficult parts were:

1) finding a buyer for your extra parts who would take them all at once. Many want piece-parts... ugh.

2) drilling out the tailwheel bulkheads. Some rivets are hidden beneath the skins at the intersections of the stringers/bulkheads.

Overall, it is no big deal to swap from the 6A to the 6. You'll also need to fill the holes where the 6A gear legs and step used to be. Also, no big deal.

You'll also need to fill the holes where the 6A gear legs and step used to be.

You could also leave the steps on. I looked at buying a 6 that had the steps and it wasn't terrible. The builder actually added them to his 6 in order to aid him and his wife climbing up onto the wings as they were getting older and helped them to clear the flaps. Just a thought. Less holes to fill. :)

6 to 6A conversion parts trade?

I have a 6 which I plan to convert to a 6A...perhaps a parts trade would work to our mutual benefit. Please feel free to contact me directly to explore the possibility.

Vans does not have a conversion kit but they will supply you with a parts list to do the conversion. When I talked to them prior to mine, I thought they crossed the line when questioning my motives & were really out to discourage it.

Back