What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground adjustable prop

Is anyone flying the (I) O-320 with the Sensenich Composite Blade ground adjustable prop? If so, are you happy with it? Are there RPM restrictions?Thanks.

Smoother, lighter and slightly faster than the Sensenich metal fixed pitch prop. NO RPM restrictions! What's not to be happy about?

YMMV
Bill

I'm flying it on my RV-6. I'm very happy with it so far. The only rpm restriction is the 2700 rpm redline, same as the engine itself. It's taken me to Oshkosh and home twice now, plus a trip over the Rockies to Johnson Creek Idaho and back home too.

Most of my flying has been cross country. It seems to me this Sensenich ground adjustable prop would be perfect for me because of that. I have not chosen my engine yet. It would be nice if Sensenich made a prop for a 360.

The GA composite prop for the 360 was recently released. I'll be using it on a Superior XP 400. The engineering staff evaluated this application and said it will be fine since my rated hp is 215 and the prop is rated at 220 max hp. Various finishes are available including clear to show the carbon weave which is how I ordered mine. Backlog is around 1 month....mine should arrive in another couple of weeks or so.

20-30 minutes for a pitch change on the Sensenich. I personally don't advise reusing the Nordlock washers more than 3 times. Zoro Tools sells a set of 8 Nordlocks for about $18.

Sensenich does have a version of this prop now for the 360 engine.

20-30 min doesn't sound too bad. How often do you change it? Is the difference marked enough that you might flip it to 'climb' on a high DA day?

I'm trying to slowly figure out where I sit in the FP-GA-CS range. The GA seems like a reasonable middle ground, though some of the electric CS sound interesting too.

Also, it looks like Cummins Spinners from Australia is about to release a spun aluminum spinner kit for these props. That sure would look good polished.

Anyone with the Whirlwind GA200L GA prop?

I looked at both the Sensenich ($3,800) and the Whirlwind ($2,500) Ground Adjustable props for the O-320 at OSH last week and would love PIREP's on both.

Neal@F14 has great info on his Sensenich.....anyone with the Whirlwind GA200L GA prop? I was told it was modeled off the 200RV prop.

Love my WW GA Prop

I've been flying a Whirlwind GA prop on my RV-9A w/IO-320 for 3 years (200 hrs). I repitched it twice and now have found a sweet spot. Repitching is tedious, but I don't plan on doing it again, (maintenance excluded). I get wonderful take-off and cruise performance. I pitched it for redline at cruise and easily meet Van's published numbers. My climb rates are very impressive as well. It has held up very well during the period and still looks excellent.

Back