What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N446RV first flight!

RVbySDI

Well Known Member
I would like to report the first flight for N446RV on July 20, 2010.

I picked up my 9A from a fellow builder on June 17, 2005. He had started quite well on the build. He had completed the tail feathers, ailerons and flaps. I picked up the rest of the crated project and transported it across the country (from Syracuse, NY to Tuttle, OK) and began work. 5 years, 1 month and 3 days later I flew N446RV. It was a short flight of about 20 minutes but she flew well. There were no major issues with the flight characteristics. The engine ran very smoothly and considering the temperatures outside, all CHT and oil temperatures were well within limits.

N446RV is an RV9A with an ECI IO-340 stroker engine with ECI forward facing cold air induction fuel injection system and Vetterman 4 pipe exhaust. It has one Slick Mag and one Lightspeed Plasma III Electronic Ignition. I have a Catto 3 blade fixed pitch prop that is very smooth and quiet. Plus it adds a bit more clearance for landings on our 3000' grass strip. Yes, I am landing my nose gear airplane just fine on a grass strip!

The panel is all glass with dual GRT HX 8.4" EFIS systems with dual AHRS and EIS4000, a panel mounted Garmin 695 GPS, Garmin SL40 comm, Garmin GTX327 transponder, Vertical Power VP-50 power control unit, TruTrak Digiflight II VGVS autopilot and PM3000 intercom. The interior is from Classic Aero.

The empty weight came in at 1033 lbs.

I have to especially thank Clark Taylor for spending 5 years of assisting me with bucking all of those rivets.

I could not have done this without his help. I also have to thank my wife Mary (see picture above standing next to the engine) for all the support, and help when needed. She did a great deal to help with the construction. She was even willing to help buck rivets a time or two. There were a great many other individuals too numerous to mention individually that helped greatly. Either they were around to lend a hand or were willing to give their advice and expertise to resolve a problem. I thank all of those who did so. I also must thank Doug Reeves and all you fellow RV builders here on the VansAirForce.net forum. Without access to your expertise I know I could not have built this wonderful machine.

I thank everyone involved with this construction and lastly I thank Mr. Richard VanGrunsven and all of the employees at Van's Aircraft for designing and providing a fantastic airplane.

Congrats on the successful first flight, Steve. Good looking airplane and a fine woman to help out.

It doesn't get any better.:)

Attaboy Steve

Now email Vans and have them add another digit to the flying 9/9a hobbs meter.
We'll drink a cold one in honor of your achievement Tuesday at OSH.

Now email Vans and have them add another digit to the flying 9/9a hobbs meter.
We'll drink a cold one in honor of your achievement Tuesday at OSH.
posted on Vans website just before posting here. I just wish I could fly it to OSH. I guess I will have to wait until next year. Be sure to toast N446RV. I believe it was #610 on the 9/9A counter.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go Steve! :D
Hope you will come to Hicks and show it off soon.

congrats:

Congrats on your persistent systems work!

Could you tell us more about this Clark Taylor? Has he ever built anything besides bucking a RV-9?

John

Congrats on your persistent systems work!

Could you tell us more about this Clark Taylor? Has he ever built anything besides bucking a RV-9?

John
Well John, I am not sure how much all these RV builders would want to know about a non-RV builder. After all he has only built plans built airplanes FROM SCRATCH. I am not too sure these airplane builders who are working on bucked rivet all metal airplanes would be too interested in a lifetime machinist who has built 3 J-3 Kittens, 1 Legal Eagle and currently simultaneously building 3 Zenair 601/650 Zodiacs. Oh yea, did I mention they are all built FROM SCRATCH.

I mean, really these are all low and slow flying airplanes that don't compare to the RV's in speed. However, given the fact that I have spent 5 years building an airplane I could not have completed if it were not for Clark helping me plug along (or should I say buck along), I have and shall continue to be ever grateful for his knowledge and help.

Back