What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft Window Installation - Ideas Needed

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Just finished cleco'ing the aft window after cleco'ing the turtle deck skins. It is installed but the process I used will not work with the turtle deck skins riveted. Loosened cleco's on the turtle deck skins to make window installation easier.

Looking for an easy way to install the window with the turtle deck skins permanently riveted.

SOMEONE must have a couple of hints or ideas.

The only thing I can think of requires 3 people. One on each side to push and squeeze the window inward (to approximate the final curvature), and a third to first fit the aft part of the window under the top of the turtle deck skins and then press down on the forward part of the window (in the forward center area) to get something again close to the correct curvature. Then it might slip into the sides of the turtle deck skins.

THERE MUST BE AN EASIER WAY TO DO THIS WITHOUT HARMING OR SCRATCHING THE WINDOW.

Marty- My wife and I figured out how to do it with just the two of us, I don't think it can be done by one person. She pushed outward and upward from the inside, while I got some clecos in towards the aft center of the window. Once you get the first four or five, then it goes in pretty easy, taking the clecos in sequence, aft to front. Steve

rear window

I don't know if this will help, but I found tying a big knot in masons braided nylon twine and running it through the window and then the turtle deck skin hole let me pull it up and out flush so I could cleco it. you could do that with several screw holes, then cleco them. I also used a rubber jaw slide clamp through the gas cap hole.

John

Only one person needed to install window at first

I just completed installation on my rear window by myself other than having help from my wife holding the head of the screws that go around the back of the turtle deck skin.

Of course I had earlier drilled my holes into the rollbar and tapped them. After painting inside I clecoed the window into the #6 holes with #40 clecoes. Then add and cleco the rear skins, followed by inserting the rear screws and adding the washer and nuts. All easily done by one other than the tightening of the screws with nuts.

JT

Just finished cleco'ing the aft window after cleco'ing the turtle deck skins. It is installed but the process I used will not work with the turtle deck skins riveted. Loosened cleco's on the turtle deck skins to make window installation easier.

Looking for an easy way to install the window with the turtle deck skins permanently riveted.

SOMEONE must have a couple of hints or ideas.

The only thing I can think of requires 3 people. One on each side to push and squeeze the window inward (to approximate the final curvature), and a third to first fit the aft part of the window under the top of the turtle deck skins and then press down on the forward part of the window (in the forward center area) to get something again close to the correct curvature. Then it might slip into the sides of the turtle deck skins.

THERE MUST BE AN EASIER WAY TO DO THIS WITHOUT HARMING OR SCRATCHING THE WINDOW.

I posted some pictures earlier that showed how to install the window by yourself. It was easy. Go to: http://picasaweb.google.com/JimCone1941/RV12Construction2609#

Back