What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What does it cost to build one of these 12's?

aarvig

Well Known Member
Since Vans website does not have a cost estimator set up for the 12 I figured I would ask you guys who are doing the building. How much does it cost to build one of these all the way to the finished point. (Airframe, powerplant, avionics, paint).

Last edited:
Per the Van's site

They are guessing about mid 50's. Engine cost vary too much to be real accurate. Likely close I'd guess.

John Bender

Engine pricing

I checked with a Rotax retailer today. He said his list prices were $21000 when 1.55 Euro/$, last month $18,400 with 1.35 Euro/$. With the current panic, it is 1.25 Euros/$ . Will it keep going down?

I hope:

1) Vans gives us a better price than anybody, like they always do :), but yet I want them to profit,
so:
2) They watch the Euro/$ and let us order before exchange rates go up again much.

Even if the rest of FWF is not ready yet.

Do a search there have been other threads with lots of speculations. The only variable is the panel. You can save as much as 6 or 7 K if you go with EAB and a simpler panel. I guess paint is also a variable if you paint it or get a pro.

Do a search there have been other threads with lots of speculations. The only variable is the panel. You can save as much as 6 or 7 K if you go with EAB and a simpler panel. I guess paint is also a variable if you paint it or get a pro.

The issue is that "if you go with EAB (experimental amature built) and a simpler panel", you may find you can't get it registered because the RV-12 hasn't been approved under the 51% rule. At that point, it would be pretty expensive yard art until the builder converted it back to the stock configuration for the RV-12 ELSA...

The issue is that "if you go with EAB (experimental amature built) and a simpler panel", you may find you can't get it registered because the RV-12 hasn't been approved under the 51% rule. At that point, it would be pretty expensive yard art until the builder converted it back to the stock configuration for the RV-12 ELSA...

From what I have heard that will not come to pass. I have spoken to a few DARs (and a few have contributed here). The ones I talked to said as long as nothing changes rule wise (and it's unlikely something significant will for now) they would have ZERO problem signing off on a properly built 12 as AB-E (that is an RV-12 with just panel mods and NOT different engines etc...).

From what I have heard that will not come to pass. I have spoken to a few DARs (and a few have contributed here). The ones I talked to said as long as nothing changes rule wise (and it's unlikely something significant will for now) they would have ZERO problem signing off on a properly built 12 as AB-E (that is an RV-12 with just panel mods and NOT different engines etc...).

My local DAR has said the same thing. He has said he will approve EAB as things are now.

In reality EAB is our only option right now. The prototype has not been isued S-LSA yet. I am not as far along, but as fast as some are building: this may not happen by the time you are ready and EAB may be your fastest way into the air.

Back