What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas

MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
One of the main reasons I built an airplane is that we are so close to the Bahamas I wanted to be able to fly there on a regular basis. This is our first trip in the new plane. A couple of trips in a 172 but this is the trip that paid off all the hard work.
Three of us from Sanford decided on a three day weekend in the Abacos. Hope Town is a great destination so Marsh harbour is the airport.
Left Friday morning with a strong cold front on our tails and a little low coverage.
2w3oyvq.jpg

Clouds built along the coast but below our 9k' flight
wvwbgy.jpg

South shore of Grand Bahamas
2ecm1zd.jpg

Approach into Marsh Harbour
30132o7.jpg

MYAM Marsh Harbour airport has a new tower and passenger terminal.
However they are having some fire escape issues and the two have been sitting unused and empty for some time. No scheduled opening date yet. Oh and the left strip is the old runway that is now the taxiway. Probably 15-20 kts crosswind on landing.
21mb4eg.jpg

Part 1

Last edited:
Part 2

Here is the view from the back porch of the room looking East to the Atlantic.
2r3ec2g.jpg

This is the front out to the anchorage in Hope Town.
2vnoy2h.jpg

Hope Town light house
m8elpk.jpg

Beach
2e3bml0.jpg

More Beach
2vu0rrb.jpg

White Sound on Elbow Cay
10zpg8p.jpg

Tahiti Beach
359b7r8.jpg

South End of Elbow Cay @ Tahiti Beach
20t17it.jpg

Getting ready for departure.
19ldfn.jpg

Cold front did not make it through Florida so our weather was perfect in the Bahamas. Instead it backed up as a Warm Front and was holding just North of Sanford. A little IMC on the way home but a good day to fly. Severe weather just to our North when we arrived. (Think Daytona 500 rain delay)

Hi Mark,

Enjoyed the write-up and pics, especially as I am planning on flying to Marsh Harbour on the 9th of March. First time flying GA to the Bahamas and looking forward to it!

Did you park at Cherokee Aviation at $10/day or is there another place you can park for free? Also do you need to bring your own ropes and tie downs or do they have them there? Finally, any unexpected fees ($50 customs fee, $12 facility fee waived with 10g fuel, $25/person departure fee).

Thanks!

TJ

Great Trip Mark

Beautiful.

Brings back wonderful cruising and flying memories. Absolutely love Abaco and the Cays on the Atlantic side.

Next lunch flight, bring more photos!

If you're going anywhere Saturday, George and I are looking for somewhere to go.

Jealous

Different from New Hampshire weather for sure. Did you see a guy in unpainted RV there by any chance? He is from Rod Island :D

Michael you should be building and not reading VAF.

TJ, sounds like you have done your homework. Cherokee is the only option I know of. Send me a PM if you need specifics.

Rick, thanks.

Carl, I think we are doing Albert whited Saturday. I will let you know tomorrow.

Vlad, parked next to an unpainted RV and we were told he was from Maine. We figured he was escaping the cold. Never did meet him.

What a shock. Another night below zero in Minnesota. I got the plane out the other day -- first time I've been able to since November -- long enough to start it and push it back in. Then it snowed 7 inches (after raining) and created a sheet of ice. It might all melt by May. But bring a parka to Oshkosh this year, I figure.

I say all of that because you can't imagine how important these pictures are to those of us in the tundra.

It almost makes me want to come in off the ledge. More please.

flown there twice from OR. stayed at Pappy's Place across from the lighthouse. last time I was riding a bike, slowed for some people with luggage. he had a Hawaiian shirt with airplanes on it. I asked if he's a pilot and they turn around. it's john and Martha king! [the woman who has slept with more pilots than anyone-while watching her videos :) ] saw their citation at march harbor when we left. no control tower back then. after a lot of research, we decided it doesn't get much better than elbow cay, at least for the price.

Back