What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Orlando newbie looking for classes

SkyFlorida

We are about ready to pull the trigger on an RV-7 and we'd like to take a class first. The Van's website info is outdated and I was wondering if you knew anyplace in the SE where we can take a two or three day builders class.

Thanks and we look forward to a long relationship with you all.

Cheers

Newbie hunting builder's class

We live in Florida and are about ready to pull the trigger on a RV-7, but wanted to take a builder's class first. The Van's website info is outdated and everyone I called seems to provide assistance, but not a class.

Right now I'm willing to fly to any part of the country for this.

BTW, we look forward to a long relationship with you all. Cheers.

Welcome to VAF!

Michael,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

When I was in your shoes, I went to Grov-Air (located outside of Indanapolis, IN) to take an intro to building class. EAA also offers classes throughout the year at various locations.

I found the class very helpful as I had pretty much no sheetmetal experiance when I started my RV-7A. I was much more confidant starting the Empannage after the class than if I would have just jumped in and learned on the fly.

Good luck,
Jason

http://grov-air.com.woad.arvixe.com/Classes.aspx

http://www.sportair.com/schedule.html

Ray Lawrence in Sandersville, GA 478-232-9560. Spent 6 days with him in his shop last March. Great time, learned a lot, and highly recommend. PM me if you need more details.

Since you're in Fl, check out Sun 'n Fun. They have day long workshops on metal, composites, wood, fabric, etc. And it's free with admission. Not sure how you sign up, I'm still waiting on a response about that.

Seconded

Ray Lawrence in Sandersville, GA 478-232-9560. Spent 6 days with him in his shop last March. Great time, learned a lot, and highly recommend. PM me if you need more details.

Ray is a close friend and if you have your emp kit shipped there, you can assist-build in about a week....and I'm only 24 miles east, at 2J3.

Best,

Best,

Since you're in Fl, check out Sun 'n Fun. They have day long workshops on metal, composites, wood, fabric, etc. And it's free with admission. Not sure how you sign up, I'm still waiting on a response about that.

Yeah, I just saw that. Seems like a decent near term option. Post if you find out about sign ups. Thx.

I hate renting aircraft ...that was my subconscious talking just then.

Finding a class is a good idea and there have been some good suggestions.
I agree with EAA Sportair classes and the Sun-N-Fun classes comng in April.
I also suggest finding other builders in your area. They will be your best sorce of knowledge other than this forum.
I got lucky and found a group of RV pilot and builders at the Sanford Southeast Ramp.
I am in Lake Mary. You should come by to see my project. Anytime.

Michael,
The first Sportair sheet metal workshop in Orlando is not until September 2013. If you need something sooner, definitely try the Sun N Fun workshops in April.
If you ever need any help, give me a yell, I live in Kissimmee.

BTW, I did manage to get hold of Ray this afternoon because he has jury duty. So, if you should call this week, it may take him a while to get back to you.

Best,

SportAir Workshops

I attended the Sheet Metal SportAir workshop last month and ordered my empennage kit the very next day, felling that I had learned the critical skills to get started.

Here is the schedule site: http://www.sportair.com/schedule.html

It look like their next visit to Florida is in September.

Good luck!! A month into it and I am having a blast!!!

Bill Vinson

Thanks for all the input and to the local guys who've reached out. I'm looking forward to being part of your community.

And I made the first step today by ordering the preview plans for the RV-7.

Question: I heard that Van's sometimes offers discounts at Sun n Fun. Do you think the empennage kit will be discounted?

Thanks.

Oh, one more thing... N957M is set aside.

I did hear back about the Sun 'n Fun classes. You just walk up to them, they are first come first serve. He did say that it's typically not busy enough that you won't get some attention, so hoping it provides a good baseline for starting the kits.

I'm interested in the discount as well, especially since they are raising prices April 1.

Class

Just signed my wife and I up for the EAA RV building class in Texas in May.

Thanks for all your input.
Welcome.
I wanted to attend that class! Timing is everything. My tail is ready to go now so I'm starting minus the class.
I 2nd the class recommendation.
I'm also a Noob so take this advise for what it's worth.

For sure find fellow builders and if possible a mentor.
You will learn the skills in class but a local mentor will teach you tricks and save you so much time and headache.
Start reading the Tips Forum threads on this site.There is a ton of help there.
If you have your tools already, buy some sheet and angle aluminum and sit down with a mentor to practice drilling, dimpling, deburring, setting rivets and drilling rivets.
Start reading other builder's logs. It helps connect the dots to the plane you plan to build plus you get a feel for how you want to set up your builder log. You may even want to start setting up your builder log It takes a suprising amout of time to set up. Finally, start getting your shop ready if It's not already. The EAA work bench design is very popular, easy to build and plans are on the web.

Last edited:
The only discounts I have ever seen with Van's is for the engine and only during Sun-N-Fun and OSH. Never with kits.

Back