What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MOGAS Availability for the 912

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Anyone know of a reasonably good listing of FBOs that have 91/92 octane MOGAS available. AirNav.com allows you to search for FBO's that have MOGAS BUT the FBOs that I have called have 87 octane for the low compression STC engine crowd. The other maps/internet lists I have run across are similar.

Maybe some of you, more familiar and more connected with the ultralight world know of such a listing.

There are a BUNCH of 912/914s out there, would think someone has put together such a list.

IF you are aware of an FBO with 91/92, List it here!!

Last edited:
Cross Countries

I had an odd experience yesterday. I am running 91UL with synthetic mobil 1 motorcycle oil. I went to a fly-in about 110 nm away and it was getting socked in by ceilings lower than I wanted, so I returned home. I was about 30nm from home and had 8 gallons gas, I diverted to a nearer airport by a big Wall Mart. All of a sudden the dynon showed 3 gallons, then 2,... but it kept running.

So I landed, bought a gas can, and 5 gallons of 91UL. After pouring it in the plane, I had 10.5 gallons. I guess I didn't have a broken fuel line, after all. I then remembered how the dynon A-D converter didnt register at least the first two gallons.

Lessons for me:
1) only run mineral oil, 100 LL compatible
2) get some lead scavenger TCP and keep it with me
3) Buy 100LL if I need to.

Autogas is just not available from any of those nice airports below you!

The new Blitz gas cans have a fancy valve that didn't ruin my window.

John

MoGas

I have posted a lot the last week or so regarding my problems with CHT, Dynon temps, etc, so I thought I would say something positive once instead of complaining....

I bought a FloFast refueling sysem and it is a really smooth system. You can take the "jugs" (I bought two 7.5 gallon ones) to the gas station, and then at the airport screw on the rotary pump to one of the jugs, shove the long "hose" way down into the fuel pipe on the RV-12 and pump the gas into the plane in a very short time. No drips, spills, or mess. Really a neat solution to the alternative of lifting heavy cans up high enough to pour into the plane, and virtually eliminates any possibility of spills that could damage the aft window. (No, I have no financial interest in FloFast, just a very satisfied customer.)

In a pinch buy the 87 octane mogas where available then add 25% 100LL. Change the oil every 25 hours for the next 2-3 oil changes.

Keep in mind......

2) get some lead scavenger TCP and keep it with me

that it is illegal to carry TCP on board the aircraft.

Decalin, same purpose product, different brand, can be carried legally.

Okiejohn,

You don't have to run straight dino(mineral) oil with 100LL. You can run full syn with up to 30% 100LL. You can run 100LL all the time with semi-syn.

Occassional 100LL won't cause you any maintenance problems but if you get in a habit of using it be sure to follow Rotax recommendations for more frequent oil changes, spark plug changes, running higher RPM, etc.

Back to the original subject of this thread. There has to be more than 1 FBO that sells 91 mogas. List the one's that you know!

Anyone know of a reasonably good listing of FBOs that have 91/92 octane MOGAS available. AirNav.com allows you to search for FBO's that have MOGAS BUT the FBOs that I have called have 87 octane for the low compression STC engine crowd. The other maps/internet lists I have run across are similar.

Maybe some of you, more familiar and more connected with the ultralight world know of such a listing.

There are a BUNCH of 912/914s out there, would think someone has put together such a list.

IF you are aware of an FBO with 91/92, List it here!!

Lebanon State Airport (S30) in Oregon has premium mogas without ethanol. At least they did a month ago. The ethanol free stuff is getting harder to find but I would prefer mogas w/ethanol to 100LL.

MoGas

Ethanol free mogas in the south Dallas area is available at a self-service pump
at Dallas South (T13) six or seven miles south of Lancaster airport. (This is a grass field)
Also available at an Exxon station next to the high school stadium in Palmer, Tx - about 15 miles south of I20 on interstate 45.

Dick

You can try www.navzilla.com/mogas.php. They had a state-by-state listing, but I dont know how current it is.
N612RV

It is NOT current, it is hopelessly out of date and useless. For example the Oregon, Washington and California listings are completely wrong. Oregon only has one airport with mogas, Lebanon State (S30) and it has 91 AKI. Washington has two airports, Pullman/Moscow (KPUW) and Oak Harbor (KOKH). I believe that they are both 91 AKI now because 87 is getting impossible to get ethanol free out here but check with them before you go. California has NO airports with mogas and in fact it is almost impossible to get ethanol free gasoline in the state, because all of the terminals except one gets sub octane blending product for ethanol blending, and they do not label their pumps.

The only listing that I know of is: http://www.chouby.com/apps/autogas.html who claims to cull his information from AirNav. Your only option is to call the airport to verify. Airports will probably be switching to premium unleaded as ethanol takes over all of the gasoline in country because of the unintended consequences of a federal RFS mandate in EISA 2007. For information as to why, see www.e0pc.com

Also be aware that airports with mogas are disappearing. In July of last year there were 132, now there are 115 according to AirNav. This does not bode well for LSA and I urge you to get active in supporting another tank and pump on public use airports for mogas now and 94UL when it is approved this year, otherwise it will never be produced. See our GA Fuel Blog on General Aviation News: http://www.generalaviationnews.com/?cat=525

Last edited:
Ethanol free mogas in the south Dallas area is available at a self-service pump at Dallas South (T13) six or seven miles south of Lancaster airport. (This is a grass field)
Another happy Dallas South customer here. Good enough field, check for water when it rains, and land on the south end or you're going to have to taxi forever to get to the pumps, which are on the south end.

Winnsboro (F51) used to have mogas, not sure about it anymore. 80NM E of the DAL area.

TODR

91 octane gasoline in Montana

According to Montana Law, 91 octane gasoline is exempt from the law mandating ethanol in gasoline.

Mogas

Anticipating the trip from the west coast to OSH this summer. Airnav.com has a feature that allows you to put in departure and arrival points and then you can ask for Mogas or 100ll or jet fuel. The airports with mogas are hard to find in the west but seem frequent in South Dakota, Michigan and Wisconsin. I called some of the listings to find out what they are actually carrying. One said 87 octane (regular). The next one I called said "super unleaded premium 94 with no ethanol. Not sure why the availability varies so much. But just seeing the listing doesn't really tell us much. So I guess we call ahead to find out what is out there.

Rich

What about octane booster

I asked this question on a different thread but there was no replies.... What about using over the counter octane booster with 87 mogas? What would be the draw backs? I used it in a car I had and it worked fine. Only indication it was being used was there was a reddish haze on the plugs....

According to Montana Law, 91 octane gasoline is exempt from the law mandating ethanol in gasoline.

Please cite the statute. If you are referring to MCA 2007, 82-15-121, that law has never triggered, and never will, so I doubt the exemption for premium unleaded is in force.

And there is no law mandating ethanol in gasoline. There is the unintended consequences of the RFS mandate in EISA 2007, but that law was intended to produce and distribute E85 and support flex-fuel vehicles. It never mentions E10 and is not a mandatory E10 law. See: www.e0pc.com

Please cite the statute. If you are referring to MCA 2007, 82-15-121, that law has never triggered, and never will, so I doubt the exemption for premium unleaded is in force.

And there is no law mandating ethanol in gasoline. There is the unintended consequences of the RFS mandate in EISA 2007, but that law was intended to produce and distribute E85 and support flex-fuel vehicles. It never mentions E10 and is not a mandatory E10 law. See: www.e0pc.com

MCA 2007 82-15-121 stated that is must be ethanol free,,,,,, BUT,,, it did not become effective until a certain number of gallons of ethanol are produced in the state..
I do not think that Montana Refinery is putting any in their fuel,,,,,,,as they were TOTALLY against the requirement to add it . I do not know if Flying J is getting their fuel from Billings or Salt Lake,,,if it comes from out of state all bets are off.

You are right! Sorry
John Sheffels

I do not think that Montana Refinery is putting any in their fuel,,,,,,,as they were TOTALLY against the requirement to add it . I do not know if Flying J is getting their fuel from Billings or Salt Lake,,,if it comes from out of state all bets are off.

The trigger was 40 mgy of in state ethanol production, just like our law here in Oregon. There was a time when there were several ethanol plants planned for Montana but all of them have fallen through, especially after the big ethanol bankruptcies a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately that will not spare your gasoline from ethanol. Each year more and more ethanol must be blended under EISA 2007. It is supposed to be E85 but that is going nowhere so it is E10 spreading everywhere. Each gasoline producer, big and soon small, is given an ever increasing quota each year, so it is coming, your producers cannot avoid it. It is too bad that your law never triggered because it had the most rigorous protection for premium unleaded of any of the state mandatory E10 laws that were passed, although I still don't think it was air tight. Now no state needs to pass mandatory E10 laws because all of the gasoline is going E10 anyway, your state legislators can no longer try to outgreen each other like they did here in Oregon. The only thing they can do now is pass a state law to prohibit the blending of ethanol in premium unleaded. I urge you to work on that.

... One said 87 octane (regular). The next one I called said "super unleaded premium 94 with no ethanol. Not sure why the availability varies so much. But just seeing the listing doesn't really tell us much. So I guess we call ahead to find out what is out there.

Rich
Probably because Lycomings and Continental engines that can run MOGAS are all 80 octane engines and premium is overkill for them.

BTW, the ethanol Nazis want to raise the mix to 15%.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100618/ap_on_bi_ge/us_epa_ethanol_6

It just frightens me that the farm lobby wants the government to support a program that is a losing proposition from a cost, environmental, and food supply standpoint and they might actually win.

Corn should be drunk and not burned!

Probably because Lycomings and Continental engines that can run MOGAS are all 80 octane engines and premium is overkill for them.

Not all of them are 80 octane engines. Petersen provides a number of STCs for higher compression engines that were TCd on 91/96 avgas, and they require 91 AKI (premium) mogas. There are some Lycoming O-235s, some O-320s, some O-360s and some O-540s, plus some of the Lycoming R-680s.
http://www.autofuelstc.com/autofuelstc/pa/Approved_Engines.html

Back